What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

I am just as happy with Donovan staying. I think he has heard he can't defend long enough and I think with Gobert out we will need to make it happen or his credibility as a player will free fall like Westbrook.

My prediction... Donovan is going be compelled by circumstances to be a different player between the situation, the coaching change, the lack of Gobert, and his desire to prove himself without Gobert on the court. It will be fun to watch and be a part of. Watching him in NY would just piss me off...

UNLESS they throw the kitchen sink.

In short, I have reached Ainge's Catharsis and I will not sell our best asset for pennies on the dollar because I believe in Spida. Lick that taint NuuuuuYaaaaawk.

At this point, I don’t think a trade happens. All offseason long, the only times our front office has gone on record is to say that they’ll “do what’s best for the Utah Jazz”. Aside from knowing that the Knicks and the Jazz have had discussions, we really don’t know just how interested Utah is in trading Donovan. Pretty much every nugget of info has been speculation by the media.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ainge’s gameplan is using the Gobert assets to build a team around Donovan that compels him to stay.
After September 6th we have to start showing our cards. Unless they were blown away with an offer I would be somewhat shocked to see it happen before the period between 9/6 and training camp.

After September 6th we have to start showing our cards. Unless they were blown away with an offer I would be somewhat shocked to see it happen before the period between 9/6 and training camp.
Am I wrong in saying that while the Jazz can’t officially trade any package of players acquired in the Rudy deal before September 6th, they could still announce that they’ve agreed in principle to trade Donovan to NY in a deal that won’t become official until September 6th?

If we keep Mitchell we had better ****ing keep Beverley as he'll go a long way a addressing our ****** perimeter defense.

If we trade Mitchell I'm fine with blowing just about everything up for picks and future talent. Though I'm excited about Vanderbilt and Kessler and think both will play well in the system.

I also want us to sign Whiteside - he's still a F.A. and he would be a great help, whether we tank or not.

Am I wrong in saying that while the Jazz can’t officially trade any package of players acquired in the Rudy deal before September 6th, they could still announce that they’ve agreed in principle to trade Donovan to NY in a deal that won’t become official until September 6th?
I think August 30th was the date, but I maybe wrong on that.

No but would leave some things to chance. Physicals and such.

It also may not be a deal with New York that we are waiting on sept. 6th... it could be that we have a deal with Lakers but they are going to hunt around until the deal can actually be completed.

I just think it won't happen until around then unless Knicks get nervous and give up the bag. It would also make sense if we wanted to re-route Rose/Fournier and mix them in with some of the Minny guys. No need to agree prematurely and announce it. Then someone gets hurt in a summer workout... fails a physical and the deal blows up as-is.

Fred Katz on ESPN700...

Thinks deal happens before training camp... if a deal happens he thinks its Fournier, Grimes, 3 unprotected picks from Knicks, 2 others from their protected pile. Said he wouldn't be surprised if Quickly ends up in the deal.

Fred Katz on ESPN700...

Thinks deal happens before training camp... if a deal happens he thinks its Fournier, Grimes, 3 unprotected picks from Knicks, 2 others from their protected pile. Said he wouldn't be surprised if Quickly ends up in the deal.
No thieves! We will take hero in picks instead thank you for listen tk thoughts.

Why would you announce a trade before it can officially go through. Bad business IMO

The Jazz keeping Mitchell de-values their own first round pick in supposedly a fantastic draft year. I think Danny wants that to be a lottery pick.
Unless we make a trade for a big I think we will be a play in team… but yeah the point still stands… going from 10-16ish to top 5 is a big benefit. They could surprise I suppose but it feels like we are a playin team if we don’t trade Don to me.

The other big thing is losing out on cashing in on the vets. Tony has said we won’t sell off the other stuff if we keeping Don.

Why would you announce a trade before it can officially go through. Bad business IMO
True. But wasn't the Love-Wiggins trade well known well before it could go through? Did the teams stay quiet on this before Wiggins was eligible to be traded, or did they basically acknowledge it was a done deal?

Can't really remember the details on how that went down.

Were there any others like this in recent memory?

The other big thing is losing out on cashing in on the vets. Tony has said we won’t sell off the other stuff if we keeping Don.
This is a real issue, to be sure, but I get the sense that we overvalue the return that this will bring.

We have our visions of first-rounders coming back for Bogey, Beverley, and certainly Vanderbilt if we let him go, and maybe even for Clarkson, Beasley, and even Conley if we get lucky.

From what I've seen out there, other teams (fans) see fire-sale, and are hoping to do things like send back bad salary and a late 2nd for even one of our better assets.

It will be interesting to see what kind of return Ainge can get in a short amount of time, if it comes to that. (And it may not even have helped much if Donovan had been dealt a month ago. Other teams might still be in predatory mode for our assets, given the state of the market.) I think it's likely we'll be holding onto more than we might expect, for a while at least.

This is a real issue, to be sure, but I get the sense that we overvalue the return that this will bring.

We have our visions of first-rounders coming back for Bogey, Beverley, and certainly Vanderbilt if we let him go, and maybe even for Clarkson, Beasley, and even Conley if we get lucky.

From what I've seen out there, other teams (fans) see fire-sale, and are hoping to do things like send back bad salary and a late 2nd for even one of our better assets.

It will be interesting to see what kind of return Ainge can get in a short amount of time, if it comes to that. (And it may not even have helped much if Donovan had been dealt a month ago. Other teams might still be in predatory mode for our assets, given the state of the market.) I think it's likely we'll be holding onto more than we might expect, for a while at least.
I think the key deal is the Westbrook deal. Bogey and Vando should both fetch an okay first by themselves but Bev, JC, Beasley are more second rounder types. But if we aggregate JC, Bogey, Bev and take back Westbrook I think you can get two really good firsts in 27/29… maybe one has slight protections… but lakers could really be *** for a while when Bron is done.

I do think we keep a few of Mike, Vando, Beasley, JC… they may get moved in season if playing well.

I think the key deal is the Westbrook deal. Bogey and Vando should both fetch an okay first by themselves but Bev, JC, Beasley are more second rounder types. But if we aggregate JC, Bogey, Bev and take back Westbrook I think you can get two really good firsts in 27/29… maybe one has slight protections… but lakers could really be *** for a while when Bron is done.
I mean, Royce got a FRP. Some of the vets would probably have better value after training camp, the preseason, and the first couple weeks of the season shake out. If a team catches fire, they would be VERY interested in adding good vets and less concerned about the value of a pick.

Fred Katz on ESPN700...

I know I have now said this a thousand times but my first priority if I’m the Jazz is the rights to the top of the Knicks’ draft for seven years and at least three unprotected picks. The protected picks and young players are gravy in my mind and I hope the org sees it the same way. I think they’re in the lottery the next two years and it might get better for them eventually but it might also get significantly worse.