What's new

Jazz and Knicks discussing Donovan Mitchell trade per Shams Charania and Tony Jones

It really does... unless they move Randle. On court there is only one ball. Cap wise if they extend RJ it will be hard to do anything in FA. If they can send less draft comp it makes them more flexible for other deals.

For us gives us decent developing player to watch. We can still get the upside of a couple picks and we can then use pick swaps in 25/27/29 with the minny pick to get the upside of the Knicks potentially sucking.

Leon didn't draft RJ... so he isn't necessarily attached.

I’m with you. They preserve cap space and picks.

It really does... unless they move Randle. On court there is only one ball. Cap wise if they extend RJ it will be hard to do anything in FA. If they can send less draft comp it makes them more flexible for other deals.

For us gives us decent developing player to watch. We can still get the upside of a couple picks and we can then use pick swaps in 25/27/29 with the minny pick to get the upside of the Knicks potentially sucking.

Leon didn't draft RJ... so he isn't necessarily attached.
See I think moving Randle and RJ together makes more sense than just keeping one and dealing the other.

This way you can get all the cap-space. You market the absolute living **** out of Donovan Mitchell as the savior of NYC. You hope and pray that Obi/IQ/Grimes are the real deal and then you just sign All-Stars in UFA.

There are HUGE names in 2024, and you can sign some starters in 2023 and still have that max room for 24/

Sign a Kuzma in '23 then get Jaylen Brown in '24.

See I think moving Randle and RJ together makes more sense than just keeping one and dealing the other.

This way you can get all the cap-space. You market the absolute living **** out of Donovan Mitchell as the savior of NYC. You hope and pray that Obi/IQ/Grimes are the real deal and then you just sign All-Stars in UFA.

There are HUGE names in 2024, and you can sign some starters in 2023 and still have that max room for 24/

Sign a Kuzma in '23 then get Jaylen Brown in '24.
I think they hope that Randle plays better and they move him in a year if they need to or if an opportunity arises to sign someone. I think they would like to keep RJ but may need to use him instead of picks to make things work long term.

I won't believe it until PK accidentally announces it.
I'm still really confused by that sequence of events that happened. Did we ever get a good explanation? I know he (PK) addressed it the following day, but even then he didn't back down from what he said. Although he kind of danced around things and tried to maintain that he was just saying that he got a text from someone who would know that the deal was done, while simultaneously saying that he was in no way reporting the deal was done. It was weird, right?

I'm still really confused by that sequence of events that happened. Did we ever get a good explanation? I know he (PK) addressed it the following day, but even then he didn't back down from what he said. Although he kind of danced around things and tried to maintain that he was just saying that he got a text from someone who would know that the deal was done, while simultaneously saying that he was in no way reporting the deal was done. It was weird, right?
If it's the Donovan thing, Andy Larsen noted he heard both ways but wouldn't go forward until he was a 100%. Think PK just got some bad info.

He talked out of both sides of his mouth... it was hilarious.

Seems like Tony/Shams typically like to send out their vague "update" tweets on Monday to initiate their news cycle for the week. Nothing today though...

We want to trade those guys for expiring contracts, so taking back Westbrook isn't really a burden for us. We also probably want to be able to trade multiple players for 1 in order to prepare for a Don trade. This helps us too.

I think this sentiment is mostly built out of spite for the Lakers, who seem stuck, and don't deserve a helping hand. I'm all for that sentiment, it's going to feel pretty awful if they win another title based on us helping them out.

Logically speaking, however, it really makes sense for both sides. If the Lakers can provide, unprotected picks that far in the future, it gets us a shot at a super premium pick vs the protected picks we would likely garner for our players individually.
No there comes a point where you say "our offer is our offer. You can take it or enjoy Westbrook for another season." Lakers really have no interest in trading 2 unprotected picks, so we shouldn't humor them with endless fetch quests to rebuild their roster. The Pacers aren't. Do you think Danny is less hard *** than them? There is no point in building a roster for another team on the off chance of a #9 pick 8 years from now.

No there comes a point where you say "our offer is our offer. You can take it or enjoy Westbrook for another season." Lakers really have no interest in trading 2 unprotected picks, so we shouldn't humor them with endless fetch quests to rebuild their roster. The Pacers aren't. Do you think Danny is less hard *** than them? There is no point in building a roster for another team on the off chance of a #9 pick 8 years from now.

No, I think when both sides have a ton to gain there should be some compromise.

Your last sentence is particularly funny. What else do you propose we do with Bogey? Trade him for a first that’s closer that doesn’t have as much upside? Like that logic doesn’t make any sense.

No, I think when both sides have a ton to gain there should be some compromise.

Your last sentence is particularly funny. What else do you propose we do with Bogey? Trade him for a first that’s closer that doesn’t have as much upside? Like that logic doesn’t make any sense.
A pick like the suggested Lakers trade netted us an All-Star (hayward) it also netted Ainge the two all-stars he built his last team around... I'm guessing he very much wants those picks.

There is no point to retaining talent that will hurt the tank and won't be under contract in a year or two.

We are seeing the difference in trade value for unprotected picks and protected picks right before our eyes in the Knicks trade. We'd rather have the far out unprotected pick than the protected picks (they'd willing part with).

Even if you don't wait the full 5-7 years... those picks have a ton more trade value. So if the core of this team is ready to go in 3 years you can use those picks to add something important.