What's new

JAZZ at BUCKS. 8.00 PM EST.

It's not "opting out." The Jazz extend a qualifying offer to make him a RFA. Kanter can choose to sign it or not. IINM, the qualifying offer for Enes is $7.5M, which is different than what the figure used in calculating his cap hold. I do agree with you that Enes could choose that option. Risky? Perhaps (chance of injury). But the payoff would be that he'd be an UNRESTRICTED free agent in the very summer the cap is going to skyrocket.

This is the WORST scenario for Utah. If they can lock him up for 4 years even at $15M/per, that's a much better deal than paying him $7.5M next season, then having to try to outbid other teams if they want to keep him (when a max contract for him would be $20M/per). But if Kanter really believes he'll be a max player, he'd actually be wise to wait. Over the course of 4 seasons, he could make almost $8M more by waiting, plus then have the next season at $20M. Maybe the Jazz could offer him an opt out clause in 3 years like Hayward has in his deal. Kanter gets the same amount of money over 3 years, then has the chance to get a big contract after that. Whatever the contract, it will eventually come down to choosing to keep Favors or Kanter - unless one of them makes the choice for Utah by leaving as an UFA.

Thanks for the correction. You may be right about what the best scenario is. Another thing Locke thinks may be important is that Kanter is his agent's only client, in which case, if this agent want more clients, he needs to hit a home run with Kanter. (Agents, as we know, exert a lot of behind the scenes power.)

In any case, I'd be willing to bid adieu to Kanter, if that's best for the future, but I want to give him more time, as I think he's no where near his ceiling at the moment. If I had to choose today, however, between Kanter and Gobert, it would be Gobert.

Hayward played like a max man down the stretch. Gobert was a big factor. Exum draining those 3s. I liked what I saw tonight from the team.

I tend to agree with your general point (we're desperate for scoring) but c'mon.... MAYBE Hayward?

Yes, maybe. Because when I wrote that the Jazz were down in the 3rd qtr and were being chewed up by the likes of Greek Durant. Contrary to what some of you feel but Hayward's 6 turnovers tonight doesn't exactly scream "great game." I've seen him play a hell of a lot better. Late in the 4th he was money. But throughout the game, especially in the 3rd? Not so much.

6 turnovers.

I shudder to think what this board would be doing if Kanter or Exum had 6 turnovers. Would we burn them at the stake or send'em straight to the guillotine?

How many people thought that Hayward would get maxed? And bigs get paid if they show even a little bit of potential. Kanter is getting paid one way or another. Maybe not a max, but it's going to be a pretty big contract. The Jazz either match it or let him walk.

Hayward's been invited to the U.S. National Team multiple times, playing with Lebron, Kobe and the like. People talk about him in league circles. He's progressed each year, working hard to refine his game, not far off of being a 20/5/5 guy with solid defense.

What the hell has Kanter ever done other than set his sights on the worst on court/off court +/- in NBA history?

It's not "opting out." The Jazz extend a qualifying offer to make him a RFA. Kanter can choose to sign it or not. IINM, the qualifying offer for Enes is $7.5M, which is different than what the figure used in calculating his cap hold. I do agree with you that Enes could choose that option. Risky? Perhaps (chance of injury). But the payoff would be that he'd be an UNRESTRICTED free agent in the very summer the cap is going to skyrocket.

This is the WORST scenario for Utah. If they can lock him up for 4 years even at $15M/per, that's a much better deal than paying him $7.5M next season, then having to try to outbid other teams if they want to keep him (when a max contract for him would be $20M/per). But if Kanter really believes he'll be a max player, he'd actually be wise to wait. Over the course of 4 seasons, he could make almost $8M more by waiting, plus then have the next season at $20M. Maybe the Jazz could offer him an opt out clause in 3 years like Hayward has in his deal. Kanter gets the same amount of money over 3 years, then has the chance to get a big contract after that. Whatever the contract, it will eventually come down to choosing to keep Favors or Kanter - unless one of them makes the choice for Utah by leaving as an UFA.

The chances of Kanter taking the QO have to be very, very slim. Unlike Monroe, if he comes back on the QO there is a likely chance he'll be coming back in a reserve role.

Burke just has to suck it up and play whatever role he's given or ask for a trade.

I've been a Burke defender but his biggest worry by far should be becoming a better basketball player. Where are The Jazz going to trade him where he starts - The Knicks? The Lakers? Maybe The Magic? Burke hasn't come close yet to playing himself into any type of guaranteed role.

Why did Burks and Hood have to have serious injuries this year??? It's a real bummer because we're starting to turn the corner a little bit and both guys need experience in their respective roles. ****

Why did Burks and Hood have to have serious injuries this year??? It's a real bummer because we're starting to turn the corner a little bit and both guys need experience in their respective roles. ****
I agree

COULD be a blessing in disguise though

22 TOs and still notch the W?

Obviously played inferior competition in this one.

How? Please explain.
Get a better player in the draft..... Get more experience for exum..... Burks can finally get his injury taken care of that had been nagging him for a long time apparently

22 TOs and still notch the W?

Obviously played inferior competition in this one.
They have the much better record doe.

Plus with no favors, hood, burks, and playing multiple d leaguers on ten day contracts big minutes...... I'm not sure there is such thing as inferior competition

Get a better player in the draft..... Get more experience for exum..... Burks can finally get his injury taken care of that had been nagging him for a long time apparently

Fair enough, just didn't see where you were coming from. I have no doubt that Burks will come back hungry, he could still be a very important piece to this team with his offensive creativity.

Fair enough, just didn't see where you were coming from. I have no doubt that Burks will come back hungry, he could still be a very important piece to this team with his offensive creativity.
Ya and im not sure that it's a blessing..... just saying that it might/could be a blessing

The chances of Kanter taking the QO have to be very, very slim. Unlike Monroe, if he comes back on the QO there is a likely chance he'll be coming back in a reserve role.

On the contrary, they are very, very big. For Monroe it was a much greater risk as he as a lower (or is it higher?) pick makes much less money than Enes will with the QO. With 7,5 million, Enes Kanter makes a lot of money while securing that he will be a UFA at the time when the cap will rise more than it has ever done before.

I want to keep Kanter simply because I think he can be an elite scorer and above average rebounder. Yes he is a flawed player just like every player but Kanter is our second best offensive player right now. Now, if he wants a MAX deal then I have no problem trading him to fit other Jazz needs. I will be pissed if we just let him walk unless the Jazz have some secret plan to bring in a MAJOR (not a washed up one) vet to play for them. I don't have a lot of confidence in the Jazz to make a good deal. The major weakness of this franchise is that they let assets walk without getting much in return. Matthews, Millsap, AJ, Korver, Carroll to name a few.

Ideally, if Kanter wants too much money then the Jazz should trade him now so the Jazz will have a worse record and most likely a higher draft pick. Draft his replacement and then use the money that would have been spent on Enes to bring in a MAJOR free agent.

Yes, maybe. Because when I wrote that the Jazz were down in the 3rd qtr and were being chewed up by the likes of Greek Durant. Contrary to what some of you feel but Hayward's 6 turnovers tonight doesn't exactly scream "great game." I've seen him play a hell of a lot better. Late in the 4th he was money. But throughout the game, especially in the 3rd? Not so much.

6 turnovers.

I shudder to think what this board would be doing if Kanter or Exum had 6 turnovers. Would we burn them at the stake or send'em straight to the guillotine?

Agreed. Only part of Hayward's game that annoys me is his turnovers. Some seem real lazy hot dog passes. He does make up for a few with nice steals, but still his achilles heal.

I wish refs would respect him more. He did get calls in the 4th, but last several games he has not been shown respect by refs. (like other stars)

I want to keep Kanter simply because I think he can be an elite scorer and above average rebounder. Yes he is a flawed player just like every player but Kanter is our second best offensive player right now. Now, if he wants a MAX deal then I have no problem trading him to fit other Jazz needs. I will be pissed if we just let him walk unless the Jazz have some secret plan to bring in a MAJOR (not a washed up one) vet to play for them. I don't have a lot of confidence in the Jazz to make a good deal. The major weakness of this franchise is that they let assets walk without getting much in return. Matthews, Millsap, AJ, Korver, Carroll to name a few.

It has nothing to do with what Kanter wants at this point. He is a restricted free agent, c'mon, you know how this works.

Who's AJ, Alex Jones?