What's new

Jazz at Grizz - 4/14- 6 PM MT- TONY ALLEN GETS OWNED

The Jazz did just enough to lose and deserved the loss, but the officiating was a bit lame, I have to say.

We need to be more clutch. Harris needs to stop trying to shoot a dagger jumper when we get up by 6 points, with 18 seconds on the shot clock and no one to rebound.

I'm just ****ing tired of seeing our opponents continually destroy us from 3 point land. No matter who the opponent, they will shoot lights out from 3 against us. Incredible.

worst officiated game of the season...not even close.

The grizz could not beat us by themselves. The refs had to win it for them. I can't believe this kind of crap can go on in a pro game. Those idiots are paid hundreds of thousands to be impartial. Thanks refs you just cost the jazz a post season.

There was a brief moment where we actual had some coaching. They played zone for about 12 seconds and got a much needed stop in the last couple of min. Wish that kind of coaching would have continued.

Was exhausted as hell today. Watched the first minute of the game on my couch, ended up falling asleep, waking up and the game is over.

The jazz played their asses off against a better team. Lighten up.

Seriously. The Grizzlies are a very good team and played a very good game. There's nothing to feel that bad about without considering the playoff implications.

Have we ever seen a line-up with Kanter, Favors and Millsap? That would probably be our best defensive front court.
And I wouldn't mind seeing Kanter and Favors get a few more shots.

That line-up with a good pg and Hayward/Burks is probably the best we're going to get without drafting another scorer.

I'm just ****ing tired of seeing our opponents continually destroy us from 3 point land. No matter who the opponent, they will shoot lights out from 3 against us. Incredible.

This was something i pointed out early in the season.
Ty Corbin seemed like a genius early in the season when he told we will change our defense style and close the gaps inside, but things turned out different, while trying to close the paint, we got ruined by outside, well it was pretty foreseeable

You realize the Jazz have above average 3-pt defense, both in terms of 3-pointers allowed and opponents' 3-pt percentage, right?

You can't get mad with the Jazz's 3 point defense tonight....other than that OJ shot, there was a hand in all the other ones.

What I'm mad at is Corbin not realizing that Memphis was abusing Al on the pick and roll. It was stupid, even Hollins said after the game that that was all he was running. Times like that, you gotta take out Al. It's almost like Hack a Shaq, but with pick and rolls.

Not the Hack a Shaq, but the "run the PnR at Shaq" that the Jazz used in the '97 and '98 playoffs. They'd just run the pick and roll with Stockton and whichever big Shaq was guarding. Shaq wouldn't show, and immediately Stockton was free. You know what happens when you set Stockton loose? Jazz won the '97 series 4-1 and the '98 series 4-0.

Now we've gone full circle and Al is playing the Shaq role, setting PGs free to slice and dice the Jazz defense.

You realize the Jazz have above average 3-pt defense, both in terms of 3-pointers allowed and opponents' 3-pt percentage, right?
It's a relative thing. Our 3-point offence is so poor (29th in 3P%, 30th in 3PM), our opponent always looks better from deep than we do.

Not the Hack a Shaq, but the "run the PnR at Shaq" that the Jazz used in the '97 and '98 playoffs. They'd just run the pick and roll with Stockton and whichever big Shaq was guarding. Shaq wouldn't show, and immediately Stockton was free. You know what happens when you set Stockton loose? Jazz won the '97 series 4-1 and the '98 series 4-0.

Now we've gone full circle and Al is playing the Shaq role, setting PGs free to slice and dice the Jazz defense.

This is a very good post and an awesome comparison.

But....but....Utah always has bad 3-pt defense! How dare you bring statistics and factual data into this discussion!

To put numbers on it, Jazz are 11th in 3pt% defense, 16th in 3pts allowed, and 19th in 3 point attempts.

Teams with better 3pt% defense?

Boston
New Orleans
Philadelphia
Houston
Chicago
Toronto
Minnesota
Atlanta
Dallas

Tied in percentage with L.A. Lakers

Some good defensive teams in that list, some average, and some putrid. 3pt% defense is not indicative of total team defense.

New Orleans just beat down Memphis. New Orleans with Eric Gordon playing is better than their record. Solid team with good pieces.