What's new

Jazz at Hornets Game Thread

Jazz really need another guy who can get off 12-14 shots a game. They got Hood and Mitchell and that's it right now. The lack of that guy is forcing Rubio to try to do that, and that's not ideal.

I still got hope for Rubio can work, but they really need that 3rd shot-taker. Doesnt even really have to be someone all that good. Just someone who can take shots (preferably within the offense) without the clocking getting under 5 seconds left.

Jazz really need another guy who can get off 12-14 shots a game. They got Hood and Mitchell and that's it right now. The lack of that guy is forcing Rubio to try to do that, and that's not ideal.

I still got hope for Rubio can work, but they really need that 3rd shot-taker. Doesnt even really have to be someone all that good. Just someone who can take shots (preferably within the offense) without the clocking getting under 5 seconds left.
Rubio isn’t ever going to work. He will have a few good shooting games and we will win those games. You can’t do that 2 out of every 10 games, or you only win 2 out of every 10 games. Those 8 out of 10 games he is just a liability and forces too much pressure to the other guys who can shoot. Ingles needs to take and make more shots every game. You could live with Donovan and Hood averaging around 20 each a night if you had one more guy getting 15-20 a night shooting. Then you must have Udoh, Favors, or Rudy scoring 10-15 inside. Your point guard can’t just distribute the ball anymore. Doesn’t work in the modern NBA.

Rubio isn’t ever going to work. He will have a few good shooting games and we will win those games. You can’t do that 2 out of every 10 games, or you only win 2 out of every 10 games. Those 8 out of 10 games he is just a liability and forces too much pressure to the other guys who can shoot. Ingles needs to take and make more shots every game. You could live with Donovan and Hood averaging around 20 each a night if you had one more guy getting 15-20 a night shooting. Then you must have Udoh, Favors, or Rudy scoring 10-15 inside. Your point guard can’t just distribute the ball anymore. Doesn’t work in the modern NBA.
I mean, Rubio was really good in Minnesota. When he left the court the T-Wolves were terrible. I think he just needs to take less shot, and he just can't do that in Utah currently because he plays w/ Favors/Ingles/Sef (or Jerebko). None of these guys can create their own shot, and they don't even always take the open shots they are given.

I mean, I'm not saying keep Rubio long-term, but he isn't terrible. He is just a player who makes roster building difficult because of how unique and limited he is. He needs shot takers around him.

I mean, Rubio was really good in Minnesota. When he left the court the T-Wolves were terrible. I think he just needs to take less shot, and he just can't do that in Utah currently because he plays w/ Favors/Ingles/Sef (or Jerebko). None of these guys can create their own shot, and they don't even always take the open shots they are given.

I mean, I'm not saying keep Rubio long-term, but he isn't terrible. He is just a player who makes roster building difficult because of how unique and limited he is. He needs shot takers around him.
Tell me, how good were the Wolves with Rubio? Don't believe they've ever seen the playoffs with him, and any team hes on unfortunately never will. It doesn't work in todays game, period. What team in the playoffs right now have point guards that don't score and shoot a lot? I like Rubio, he's a great guy, you can't win with him. The only thing I think makes him important is I get the feeling Donovan likes Rubio, and is learning from Rubio, and if thats the case I'm alright with that, but the Jazz need someone at that spot that can shoot. We have Donovan and Exum who can develop into that role and it's fine if we are just going to run out Rubios contract and let him go after. The bottom line is you aren't winning consistently with the guy, and that's not going to change. You can love the person he is and the teammate he is, but the bottom line is it isn't ever going to result in W's.

Rubio just doesn't work with Gobert. Yeah a stretch 4 helps in Favors place but it's just too easy to defend a Rubio/Gobert PNR and puts more pressure on the other guards and forwards. When Rubio is shooting good, great. The other teams will always concede Rubio's shots.

Tell me, how good were the Wolves with Rubio? Don't believe they've ever seen the playoffs with him, and any team hes on unfortunately never will. It doesn't work in todays game, period. What team in the playoffs right now have point guards that don't score and shoot a lot? I like Rubio, he's a great guy, you can't win with him. The only thing I think makes him important is I get the feeling Donovan likes Rubio, and is learning from Rubio, and if thats the case I'm alright with that, but the Jazz need someone at that spot that can shoot. We have Donovan and Exum who can develop into that role and it's fine if we are just going to run out Rubios contract and let him go after. The bottom line is you aren't winning consistently with the guy, and that's not going to change. You can love the person he is and the teammate he is, but the bottom line is it isn't ever going to result in W's.
When Rubio was on the court the Wolves were pretty good. When he was off the court they struggled. The point is, Rubio can be a net positive if he has the right players around him.

Rubio just doesn't work with Gobert. Yeah a stretch 4 helps in Favors place but it's just too easy to defend a Rubio/Gobert PNR and puts more pressure on the other guards and forwards. When Rubio is shooting good, great. The other teams will always concede Rubio's shots.
They played what, 19 games together, all with Derrick Favors at PF?

I think it can work, they just need a 2nd guy in the starting lineup who can put up shots and a stretch 4 (those could be the same player). I think Mirotic would help a lot.

And I'm not saying drop everything to build around Rubio, but these are going to be issues no matter who the PG is. Even if Exum is good enough to start next year (remember Exum also has shooting issues), the Jazz will still need that guy who can put up shots and the floor spacing 4.

They played what, 19 games together, all with Derrick Favors at PF?

I think it can work, they just need a 2nd guy in the starting lineup who can put up shots and a stretch 4 (those could be the same player). I think Mirotic would help a lot.

And I'm not saying drop everything to build around Rubio, but these are going to be issues no matter who the PG is. Even if Exum is good enough to start next year (remember Exum also has shooting issues), the Jazz will still need that guy who can put up shots and the floor spacing 4.

In complete agreement the Jazz need a spacers at the forwards, no question. Liked Rubio in Minny, liked the deal. My concern is the devaluation of Gobert in the offense with Rubio on the floor. It's far to easy for the big to hang back and concede a Rubio jumpshot, causing no other rotations whatsoever. Even the worst NBA defenses are too smart.

All lineups with Rubio/Gobert together were bad, regardless if Favors was in.

When Rubio was on the court the Wolves were pretty good. When he was off the court they struggled. The point is, Rubio can be a net positive if he has the right players around him.

Has to be more than just players as the underlying problem here. Looking at his stats, all are right around where they were at Minny except for one - assists. They have taken a catastrophic drop from 9.1 to 4.8! He was always around 9 in Minny, and they had some pretty thin rosters in those six years, with less shooting than the Jazz.

Seriously...

Snyder really needs to start watching videos of IT play under Stevens' system last season.

Those first three quarters were about as easy on the eye scoring from a player as you will see. Mitchell looked so under control and so precise. I have decided the guy is a bit of a freak - in terms of natural giftedness but also physical attributes. Not really fair for a lot of his opponents.

Last edited:
Has to be more than just players as the underlying problem here. Looking at his stats, all are right around where they were at Minny except for one - assists. They have taken a catastrophic drop from 9.1 to 4.8! He was always around 9 in Minny, and they had some pretty thin rosters in those six years, with less shooting than the Jazz.
Well he had the ball a lot more as the primary distributor. Also, like I said, guys in Minnesota just shoot it when they get it. A lot of Jazz PNR action is to get more PNR action a different side of the floor w/ the floor shifted.

Mitchell is hitting the "Snyder wall"
1. Not using off-ball screens to get Mitchell the ball in deeper & better positions
2. Either let Joe iso or Hood brick the hero ball without getting Mitchell involved at all, or everyone just standing there and watch as Mitchell getting double-teamed or even triple-teamed

Pretty much everything opposite of what Stevens has done to get IT 29 a game last year

Last edited:
Mitchell is hitting the "Snyder wall"
1. Not using off-ball screens to get Mitchell the ball in deeper & better positions
2. Either let Joe iso or Hood brick the hero ball without getting Mitchell involved at all, or everyone just standing there and watch as Mitchell getting double-teamed or even triple-teamed

Pretty much everything opposite of what Stevens has done to get IT 29 a game last year
lol