What's new

Jazz at Hornets Game Thread

Hood 4-13, Rubio 3-11, Ingles 1-6.

Favors just 2-4 in 29 minutes. He is back to his lazy ways.

We just look like there's no spark.
Howard is a tough match up for Favors. Whatever else Howard is he's still a good defender against big guys.

Howard is a tough match up for Favors. Whatever else Howard is he's still a good defender against big guys.

At one point Derrick got a perfect pass and had momentum to go up against Howard at the rim. He wussed out. Then Donovan takes it in hard against Howard, delivers a body-blow, misses the shot but gets his own rebound and puts it in while Howard fully gives up on the play. Funny that when Favors backed down to Howard I told my buddy that Donovan probably would have gone hard at Howard, damn the odds, and then Donovan does just that and scores on the play.

I'll have any substantive criticisms in Mitchell's third year. Until then, he's just young.

Then again, maybe I won't have criticisms then either.

Some folks are saying Mitchell tried to do too much down the stretch last night - I look at it as four other guys that did too little.

People underestimate the size issue for small players in the pnr. Unless the player is a natural playmaker and passer, it's usually hard to see the floor well when ev
Some folks are saying Mitchell tried to do too much down the stretch last night - I look at it as four other guys that did too little.
It can be both...

I don't blame anyone for being aggressive and taking shots, but turnovers are bad and worth being critical of.

You really can't blame Favors for the lack of enthusiasm. He's likely to be dealt, and if not it's universally felt he won't be here past the end of the season. If he ends up staying I'd bet his play improves so as to improve his value. If he is dealt, I would bet he plays better for the team he ends up with. At this point I hope he goes somewhere decent and gets a great deal for his future. He's a good player who is expected to do too much in this system, much like everyone else. We just don't have the talent (outside of Mitchell) to be great.

One of the few games I've missed this season. Looks like Mitchell carried.
Until the end. As great as he was for 3.5 quarters he showed his inexperience down the stretch and he cost us the game. That said without him for the 1st 3.5 quarters we wouldn't have been in the game. So he absolutely gets a 100% pass.

Mitchell needs to learn to trust and involve his teammates(even though not many of them really deserve to be involved). Otherwise he turns into a Westbrook-type, where nobody wants to play with you.

And yes, this is criticism of a rookie who just scored 35 points on 20 shots. I realize he's probably the last problem we have right now and that he's the only reason we are even in some of those games, but this is how high the expectations for him have become and how much better he can be
Mitchell trusts his teammates. I’ve said several times Mitchell deserves 5,6, even 7 or 8 more assists a night with the way he facilitated the ball throughout the game. It’s either Favors butterfingering it in the paint when he passes it to him and dropping it out of bounds, or Ingles,Hood, Johnson, or Jerebko missing a wide open 3 point shot. There was a play during the Washington game Mitchell outletted the ball from one basket to the other to Jerebko and Jerebko blew the dunk. Donovan is in his first year and has not really ever been a pure point guard, and yet some of the passes and set ups he makes every night are incredible.

You can’t even begin to compare Donovan to Westbrook unless it’s about his energy and competitive drive. His attitude is nothing like Westbrook’s. He’s perfectly willing to pass, even when Game after game he gets burned on amazing passes that should turn into an assist. Donovan is also a great teammate, you can see it. You can tell he has a care factor about winning, but he also has a major care factor about his teammates as well. I like the coaching staffs attitude towards this and have the same sentiment as a fan. Donovan can make as many mistakes as he needs to this season so long as he learns from them. He’s an intelligent, humble, talented kid, and he’s the reason I’m excited to watch this Jazz team despite the record.

Mitchell trusts his teammates. I’ve said several times Mitchell deserves 5,6, even 7 or 8 more assists a night with the way he facilitated the ball throughout the game. It’s either Favors butterfingering it in the paint when he passes it to him and dropping it out of bounds, or Ingles,Hood, Johnson, or Jerebko missing a wide open 3 point shot. There was a play during the Washington game Mitchell outletted the ball from one basket to the other to Jerebko and Jerebko blew the dunk. Donovan is in his first year and has not really ever been a pure point guard, and yet some of the passes and set ups he makes every night are incredible.

You can’t even begin to compare Donovan to Westbrook unless it’s about his energy and competitive drive. His attitude is nothing like Westbrook’s. He’s perfectly willing to pass, even when Game after game he gets burned on amazing passes that should turn into an assist. Donovan is also a great teammate, you can see it. You can tell he has a care factor about winning, but he also has a major care factor about his teammates as well. I like the coaching staffs attitude towards this and have the same sentiment as a fan. Donovan can make as many mistakes as he needs to this season so long as he learns from them. He’s an intelligent, humble, talented kid, and he’s the reason I’m excited to watch this Jazz team despite the record.

Yet only people who would take Donovan over Russ Is homers here and Louisville fans. Not a single GM would take Spida Over Russ. Crap the way people hype him here he Is going to be better then Jordan even without a chip. So How long until i See people call him a hall of famer???? Never Judge a player after year 1, either way. Things tend to change once they have game film on you And next year he Will be At top of scouting reports. They WILl Have a year worth of game film then too. Why can us fans not just simply enjoy a great season from a pllayer without Over hyping them?I remember when favors Was the savior and future all star. How did that work out? Its clearly not on the staff for His lack of development. They only get praise And when A player doesnt live up to the hype THen its on the player ANd not the staff!

Yet only people who would take Donovan over Russ Is homers here and Louisville fans. Not a single GM would take Spida Over Russ. Crap the way people hype him here he Is going to be better then Jordan even without a chip. So How long until i See people call him a hall of famer???? Never Judge a player after year 1, either way. Things tend to change once they have game film on you And next year he Will be At top of scouting reports. They WILl Have a year worth of game film then too. Why can us fans not just simply enjoy a great season from a pllayer without Over hyping them?I remember when favors Was the savior and future all star. How did that work out? Its clearly not on the staff for His lack of development. They only get praise And when A player doesnt live up to the hype THen its on the player ANd not the staff!
Mitchell is already at the top of scouting reports. Since mid-December, every opposing team focuses its defense into stopping Mitchell. The fact he hasn't buckled under the pressure is just another reason why the kid is amazing.