What's new

Jazz at Hornets Game Thread

Can we just be honest here? Mitchell has the ball plenty tonight. They collapsed to him on defense and he threw the ball away 4 times and shot an ill advised 30 foot 3 point shot. Those were 5 bad plays in the last 4 minutes that hurt bad. Kids amazing, but it’s okay to admit he made some mistakes and had some very costly plays at the end. Yes he’s the reason we were in the game, but games like tonight are a perfect example of where improvements can be made for Donovan. He can watch the film, look at things he did wrong, and build off the mistakes he makes. I want the ball in Donovans hands to make plays or score at the end of every 4th quarter that’s close, even if it means losing several games this season. I trust just by who he is a game like tonight will do nothing but improve him, and I hope there’s plenty of other close games like this, this season where we give him the ball and live or die by him. As a fan I’m not going to get too frustrated with losses and especially not the mistakes this 21 year old kid, who’s basically had a franchise put on his back, makes. I’m just ready to watch him grow and get better. Mistakes, bad closes like tonight, even losing and tough times will make Donovan better, and I embrace the ride whatever bumps it might have along the way.

Jazz really need another guy who can get off 12-14 shots a game. They got Hood and Mitchell and that's it right now. The lack of that guy is forcing Rubio to try to do that, and that's not ideal.

I still got hope for Rubio can work, but they really need that 3rd shot-taker. Doesnt even really have to be someone all that good. Just someone who can take shots (preferably within the offense) without the clocking getting under 5 seconds left.
Pretty sure I know of a guy and he’s coincidentally on the market. PM me for details.

Mitchell needs to learn to trust and involve his teammates(even though not many of them really deserve to be involved). Otherwise he turns into a Westbrook-type, where nobody wants to play with you.

And yes, this is criticism of a rookie who just scored 35 points on 20 shots. I realize he's probably the last problem we have right now and that he's the only reason we are even in some of those games, but this is how high the expectations for him have become and how much better he can be

Mitchell needs to learn to trust and involve his teammates(even though not many of them really deserve to be involved). Otherwise he turns into a Westbrook-type, where nobody wants to play with you.

And yes, this is criticism of a rookie who just scored 35 points on 20 shots. I realize he's probably the last problem we have right now and that he's the only reason we are even in some of those games, but this is how high the expectations for him have become and how much better he can be

Huh? He was great up until the last 6 mins.

IDK, he is definitely trying. He made a lot of nice passes in the game. He just kind of sucks in the PNR doing anything other than pulling up for 3.

Pretty sure I know of a guy and he’s coincidentally on the market. PM me for details.
Yeah, but idk, I'm just not hopeful. I read Detroit is floating Stanley Johnson on the trade market. Kind of worried no one will give Chicago a first, and they will just take Stanley Johnson, who is in his 3rd year of his rookie deal. Better than anything Utah can offer player wise (even tho he kind of sucks).

IDK, he is definitely trying. He made a lot of nice passes in the game. He just kind of sucks in the PNR doing anything other than pulling up for 3.
People underestimate the size issue for small players in the pnr. Unless the player is a natural playmaker and passer, it's usually hard to see the floor well when everybody on the floor is taller than you.

Yeah, but idk, I'm just not hopeful. I read Detroit is floating Stanley Johnson on the trade market. Kind of worried no one will give Chicago a first, and they will just take Stanley Johnson, who is in his 3rd year of his rookie deal. Better than anything Utah can offer player wise (even tho he kind of sucks).
The problem is they will have to take on Jon Leuer's contract which goes to 2020 along with SJ to make the trade work. (or Boban? Not sure it works with Boban, it might send Detroit in the tax, I think)

OK, here's a question. Would you guys do Stanley Johnson for Thabo swap?

The problem is they will have to take on Jon Leuer's contract which goes to 2020 along with SJ to make the trade work. (or Boban? Not sure it works with Boban, it might send Detroit in the tax, I think)
Good point. No one is taking Leuer's contract for Johnson (I really dont think he is any good, just terrible on offense).

Detroit is just so hard to work out any fake trades for. SVG is a terrible GM in free agency. No flexibility.

I believe it was a floater he made near the end of the 1st half, where he drove and danced around the painted area and then "forced" up the floater against three defenders. Some would call that hero ball. I don't because if you watched his eyes, the whole time he was dribbling, he was looking for an open teammate, only none moved to get open.

Hood rarely does that, Burks never does. The difference between Rubio and DM on those drives is that, if the pass isn't there, DM can actually score. Rubio just continues to drive into the crowd until he is swarmed under.

Those first three quarters were about as easy on the eye scoring from a player as you will see. Mitchell looked so under control and so precise. I have decided the guy is a bit of a freak - in terms of natural giftedness but also physical attributes. Not really fair for a lot of his opponents.

This.
We are so lucky. Future is bright as ****

Hood 4-13, Rubio 3-11, Ingles 1-6.

Favors just 2-4 in 29 minutes. He is back to his lazy ways.

We just look like there's no spark.

Good to see O'Neale with a good game.

Last edited: