What's new

Jazz cancelled my family's season tickets after 36 years.

Most major cities have huge water problems.
But are most major cities located in a desert as hot and dry as Vegas doe?

On the one hand I do feel for you SirKicky...

On the other I also feel like other people should also be given the opportunity to sit on those fine seats too... not just restricted to the 1 privileged family.

Most major cities have huge water problems.

Not like Vegas does.

Nevada's total allotment from the Colorado is 300,000 acre feet.(<not very much California allotment is 4.4 million and Arizona's is 2.8 million) They pull nearly double that under an agreement with the other lower Colorado states(AZ & CA)that allows them to pull an equal amount of water as they treat and return to the river.

The lower Colorado states have been clinging to lake Mead reservoir even while they pull more than they are guaranteed and more than the river can actually provide. Nevada is currently boring a tunnel at frantic pace because the inlets for Vegas' main water supply are going to be above the water line very soon. Anyone that has any sense understands that Lake mead can only go down and that this tunnel will probably end up being almost useless. In a wet year there might be 8.5 million acre feet available for release from Glenn canyon that is the amount with evaporation included that the lower basin states would need just to maintain Lake Mead. The lower Colorado is only guaranteed 7.5 Million acre feet.

Colorado is totally tapped

The are now turning to the last available source, the Snake Valley aquifer. It has limited supply and a fairly slow recharge rate. On top of that much of the water actually belongs to Utah and what does belong to Nevada ,Vegas is going to have to fight ranchers to get it. There are also concerns that endangered species of fish that could be affected might stand in the way of taking the amount of water Vegas wants.

No City of its size in the US is facing the same level of water sourcing issues as Vegas.

Lake Mead

PHP4C6395A5B5F38.jpg

lakemeaddry452137388.jpg

A quick google (and pardon me if someone else did this research) finds this article: https://www.ksl.com/?nid=1088&sid=20993965

Listed in there is a Tobie Warner, although Tobie's position isn't listed. While the phone number is different (801-563-4149 instead of 4100) businesses will often own a large group in the same block, so it is reasonable for the 4100 number to be the main number in to the office. It is likewise reasonable that Greg Miller would only have that number memorized off the top of his head.

On the one hand I do feel for you SirKicky...

On the other I also feel like other people should also be given the opportunity to sit on those fine seats too... not just restricted to the 1 privileged family.

I've seen a fair number of responses like this. They seem to presuppose that we live in 1997 when there were waiting lists for season tickets and others are being excluded from acquiring season tickets in or at comparable seats. That isn't the case. Go to utahjazz.com and check for yourself.

I've seen a fair number of responses like this. They seem to presuppose that we live in 1997 when there were waiting lists for season tickets and others are being excluded from acquiring season tickets in or at comparable seats. That isn't the case. Go to utahjazz.com and check for yourself.

But surely those seats aren't "comparable" - hence the issue at hand? In your own words you said the seats they have offered you now are "extreme downgrade".

But surely those seats aren't "comparable" - hence the issue at hand? In your own words you said the seats they have offered you now are "extreme downgrade".

It sounds like the seats are offered as mild upgrades; you have to work your way up. So, anyone taking the seats of Sirkickyass' family would get only a mild upgrade, as opposed to the severe downgrade his family would receive.

Vegas is big enough to support a team but not so big that it demands one. There are many other similarly sized cities with much less entertainment to compete with a pro team. Las Vegas has a major water problem that could seriously retard its future growth. Throw on top of that sports betting and the image problems that could create and it's pretty clear why there isn't a pro team in Vegas.

MGM is building a pro arena(already broke ground)right behind Monte Carlo. I know enough people high up in that organization to tell you they would not be building it if the NBA has not already expressed interest. Adam Silver just a few weeks ago said he does not see sports betting as an issue and in fact brings more awareness and viewers to the game.

https://espn.go.com/espn/chalk/stor...er-adam-silver-says-sports-betting-inevitable

Last edited:
Lake Mead is currently at 39% capacity. Whose case do you think that strengthens? Maybe you're the one being selective with facts.
What does water capacity have to do with basketball? We just started major restrictions in LA County. Should the Lakers and Clippers be forced to move to the Pacific NW where it seemingly rains all the time? Shortly after I moved here, we had problems with flooding. Weather runs in cycles.

I get it, much of the western US is in the middle of a drought right now. But just wait for that ocean to keep rising: pretty soon Vegas will have some pretty nice beachfront properties.

Lake Mead is currently at 39% capacity. Whose case do you think that strengthens? Maybe you're the one being selective with facts.

I am saying that the visual realtionship of the images were purposely selected to support his case and are truly sensational. If you want to argue whether or not Lake Mead is at critical levels, go find someone in grade school to do so. Anyone affected by Lake Mead knows of the situation.

Yeah that is crappy. It does nothing to reward years of loyalty and allows no room for exceptions.

It is interesting to see how some threads evolve into something else. From cancelled tickets to water sourcing issues...

Sirkicky: my condolosences and hope that the problem will be solved. Although this is business, any franchise should show some loyalty to a family that has been loyal to the organization for more than three decades!

I am saying that the visual realtionship of the images were purposely selected to support his case and are truly sensational. If you want to argue whether or not Lake Mead is at critical levels, go find someone in grade school to do so. Anyone affected by Lake Mead knows of the situation.
Oh. So you are saying that we are not supposed to disseminate images of the lake being low because that would lead people to believe that the lake is low (which you agree that it is). Got it. Don't want to pull a Faux News on this one. Good thing you were here to inform us of the dangers inherent in viewing heyhey's undoctored and totally legitimate photos.

Oh. So you are saying that we are not supposed to disseminate images of the lake being low because that would lead people to believe that the lake is low (which you agree that it is). Got it. Don't want to pull a Faux News on this one. Good thing you were here to inform us of the dangers inherent in viewing heyhey's undoctored and totally legitimate photos.

Good thing there are idiots like you around to keep the classes at bay.

It's bad, but Jesus....you make it look like its a puddle. A little Fox News in ya?

It pretty much is a puddle. I remember going on a couple fishing and boating trips one spring at echo bay. Huge boat ramp, swimming area, busy camp grounds.. Place is dried up and looks like a ghost town now.

Good thing there are idiots like you around to keep the classes at bay.
I don't get you at all. You agree that the reservoir is at 39% capacity but you are getting totally bent out of shape about the photos that demonstrate that. Whatever. Have a nice day.