What's new

Jazz FA rumors

So, HoopsHype tweeted out that GS is lining up Iguadala as their backup plan if Howard won't sign with GS. Twitter also says that GS is talking Bogut to Utah.

So, my question is this:

If GS wants to get rid of Bogut, why would they be interested in Iguadala unless they are planning on Thompson or Barnes being gone?

Also, Sean Pendergast tweeted out that Dwight and Curry made "some kind of drunk Vine" at 3 am last night and GS is desperately trying to clear cap space.

I'd be on board for Bogut and Barnes/Thomspon or a pair of picks.

Edit: Hmm ESPN says his salary is 13 million with 2 more years on it...I thought it was one year so I am not sure how I feel about that.

It's def worth nothing about the Iggy talk though. That should def signal Barnes or Klay is/would be available.

Would I take Bogut and their 2014? Absolutely.

We saw how much having a 21st pick helped us out.

Bogut is a good passer, a competent defender, and I feel like we could reallllyyy loot GS right now.

Curious to see what happens. I'm thinking that 2 more years of Bogut won't kill us, as he should be coming of the books before we give a (probably massive) contract to Kanter, and Burks if he isn't traded. Is Bogut's salary 13 mil per?

Just checked: 2013-2014 is Bogut's last year, and he's making 14 million dollars.

I say pull the trigger ASAP, if we get back Barnes or unprotected picks

From @ESPNSteinLine

"Just added to ESPN's latest Dwight story: Sources say Warriors and Jazz have opened talks on trade that would send Andrew Bogut to Jazz"

"Jazz have expressed strongest interest to date in Bogut, sources say. No surprise after Al Jefferson's departure and Bogut's college ties"

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. Yes, Bogut is injury prone and way overpaid, but he has expiring contract. We do need a solid veteran big to add to Kanter and Favors. Neither of these 2 has proven to be an 82 game solid starter. Favors was given an opportunity last year and was average in starting role. Keeping Millsap wold probably mean 10 mil a year for 4-5 years. He is a good player, but not necessarily the best expenditure for a rebuilding team, which already has a pair of 3d overall picks at the position. Bogut would fill the gap next year and would come off the books a year later. Of course we would need a compensation for taking on overpaid player, in the form of a 1st rounder, but if this helps GSW get Howard, they will gladly give up the pick.

Not to mention that NBA is business. And having Bogut will help sell tickets in Utah without hurting the team long term. A good move I would say if we can get a first rounder out of it.

So, you would say no to Bogut and Barnes/Thompson for nothing?

What I'm saying, to clarify, and I'm sorry I hadn't prior to now, is that I'd take on Bogut and Barnes/Klay and maybe even Jefferson (there's conflicting reports on money owed and length of deals. If Jefferson is expiring next season, lets say), but I wouldn't give them a likely 2014 lottery pick to do it.

I know you are not saying that, but it's being talked about here. GS is desperate and while there are 3 teams that COULD do it I doubt there are 3 that will. GS needs us immensely more than we need them. They are getting Dwight in this scenario and that's their prize. Giving them a lottery pick in the deep draft is just terrible negotiating and not understanding the dynamic and the situation your potential trade partner is in.

What I'm saying, to clarify, and I'm sorry I hadn't prior to now, is that I'd take on Bogut and Barnes/Klay and maybe even Jefferson (there's conflicting reports on money owed and length of deals. If Jefferson is expiring next season, lets say), but I wouldn't give them a likely 2014 lottery pick to do it.

I know you are not saying that, but it's being talked about here. GS is desperate and while there are 3 teams that COULD do it I doubt there are 3 that will. GS needs us immensely more than we need them. They are getting Dwight in this scenario and that's their prize. Giving them a lottery pick in the deep draft is just terrible negotiating and not understanding the dynamic and the situation your potential trade partner is in.

Oh absolutely. We are undeniably in the drivers seat here. For GS cap-space is most valuable, and we are only 1 of 3 teams with enough cap-space for them at the moment.

I wouldn't even give up Burks tbh. I'm confident we could give them Gobert and Tomic and other filler, and they'd take it instantly.

Fair enough. I do agree that 2014 is off limits. I'd do top 8 protected starting 2015, for Bogut, other expiring and Barnes/Thompson. I'd even consider tossing in Burks if they toss in another pick.

I was really skeptical about Thompson's ability to play in the NBA and am munching away on my crow sandwich for lunch today. If we could get him and his scoring to go along with 30 overpriced games of Bogut each year for the next two, I'd be very excited. We'd still need a backup point, but I'm guessing Tinsley's just a phone call away...

Burke/Tinsley/Neto in the wings
Thompson/Burks/Hayward
Hayward/Carroll
Kanter/Favors/Evans
Favors/Bogut/Goober -- NICE

Fair enough. I do agree that 2014 is off limits. I'd do top 8 protected starting 2015, for Bogut, other expiring and Barnes/Thompson. I'd even consider tossing in Burks if they toss in another pick.

I agree with all of this but would try to avoid anything involving Burks. Not because I'm ultra high on him but because I don't think it would be necessary to getting the deal done and I think he's likely gonna be better/more valuable than a mid 20's pick in 90% of drafts anyway.

GS's pick isn't worth tying up cap space for the rest of the year. If all you're looking for is first rounders, you can find a better one at the deadline. Demand Barnes or Klay Thompson, and if they say no, just walk away.

GS's pick isn't worth tying up cap space for the rest of the year. If all you're looking for is first rounders, you can find a better one at the deadline. Demand Barnes or Klay Thompson, and if they say no, just walk away.

Basically, this.

The thing is, Bogut might have more value at the trade deadline than pure cap space. Teams like Dallas, OKC, Miami, Spurs, and maybe a few others would be lining up to trade for Bogut at soon as he's available (Dec15 I think).

Our front office has to accurately judge his value compared to pure cap room. It's not an easy call. But, maybe they could get on the horn with OKC and get a feel now for what Bogut would be worth in December. I think it would be quite a lot if he's healthy.

So, look at Bogut as a potential asset. I'm pretty sure that's how the Jazz are looking at him.

The thing is, Bogut might have more value at the trade deadline than pure cap space. Teams like Dallas, OKC, Miami, Spurs, and maybe a few others would be lining up to trade for Bogut at soon as he's available (Dec15 I think).

Our front office has to accurately judge his value compared to pure cap room. It's not an easy call. But, maybe they could get on the horn with OKC and get a feel now for what Bogut would be worth in December. I think it would be quite a lot if he's healthy.

So, look at Bogut as a potential asset. I'm pretty sure that's how the Jazz are looking at him.

If that is true and you can land Barnes or Thompson without giving up much or anything I think it is silly not to do it.

Basically you landed Thompson/Barnes and what ever you get for Bogut (picks?) for free.

Bogut is irrelevent to the Jazz in this trade. The Jazz aren't trading for Bogut. They are trading for Barnes/Thompson and Bogut is the price you pay to get either of those guys.

If the Jazz are getting a kicker in the deal, then I don't have much an issue with it. Bogut won't start Kanter and he can be a nice rotational player as a rental. The cap space doesn't mean much this year overall.

Bogut is irrelevent to the Jazz in this trade. The Jazz aren't trading for Bogut. They are trading for Barnes/Thompson and Bogut is the price you pay to get either of those guys.

I think you are overly optimistic. IMHO Bogut has positive value by himself. MAYBE you can squeeze a little more out of GS if you play your cards right, but, I seriously doubt you get either of Barnes or Thompson in this scenario. Not unless we are also taking Beans and Jefferson.

I think Bogut and a 1st is probably the most we can expect unless we're taking one or both of Beans or Jefferson. Even that might be overly optimistic. Bogut should have pretty decent value on his own as I said. I wouldn't be shocked if we're sending THEM a 2nd or something to get Bogut instead.

I guess I'm saying, prepare to be disappointed.