What's new

Jazz FA rumors

The jazz are the only team in the West that doesn't fear Dwight Howard and the prospects of him being on a rival squad. Kanter, Favors, Gobert, (and Bogut?) will easily neutralize his over-rated ***.

But, we better loot the shelves! I'd expect the jazz to say, "we can get you half way there by absorbing Bogut and receiving an unprotected pick (no more protection for you ****ing ****eaters). If you want us to take you all the way to Dwight by absorbing another contract, then you're gonna have to give us Barnes, who shoulda been on our team anyway. And since Mark Jackson talks about God so much, let's just get that glaring inconsistency taken care of. ********."

If the Jazz are getting a kicker in the deal, then I don't have much an issue with it. Bogut won't start Kanter and he can be a nice rotational player as a rental. The cap space doesn't mean much this year overall.
Jazz MUST get Barnes or Thompson or walk away. This is precisely what I was hoping would happen at the deadline: teams desperate to dump salaries would want to offload a veteran AND have to give us a young prospect or a good draft pick to do it. GS is going to be very good, so their pick has little value. Bogut would be a good fit, as he'd only need 25 mins/per.

I think you are overly optimistic. IMHO Bogut has positive value by himself. MAYBE you can squeeze a little more out of GS if you play your cards right, but, I seriously doubt you get either of Barnes or Thompson in this scenario. Not unless we are also taking Beans and Jefferson.

I think Bogut and a 1st is probably the most we can expect unless we're taking one or both of Beans or Jefferson. Even that might be overly optimistic. Bogut should have pretty decent value on his own as I said. I wouldn't be shocked if we're sending THEM a 2nd or something to get Bogut instead.

I guess I'm saying, prepare to be disappointed.

yeah, I doubt just for Bogut we are getting Thompson or Barnes. That is one reason they would want to trade with us. I would be pretty happy with Bogut and a 1st though. For one of those two we would probably have to take Biedrins or Jefferson as you said. Bogut I think could really help the games of Favors and Kanter and give us a usable 3rd big man. Not sure Gobert will be ready for the NBA.

Personally I'd rather have Barnes and the 10th or so this year. You can give them the 2015 and probably get that deal. 2014 is supposed to be a fantastic draft. So why give that up when you do not need to?
Bogut and Barnes for a lottery-protected pick in 2014, with top-10 protection in 2015 and top-3 protection in 2016 and beyond. The alternative is to take on Bogut AND Jefferson or Beidrins (all expiring) instead of giving them a pick. Barnes would be a lottery pick in 2014 so it is like picking up an additional high pick, but no risk since we already KNOW he can be an NBA starter.

I'm pretty confident the reason that Golden State has opened talks with the Jazz is to avoid having to give up one of their young players. They could just do a S&T with the Lakers, but I'm sure the Lakers would demand either Klay or Barnes. I suspect the most they'd give us in return is a future draft pick in addition to Bogut and either Biedrens or Jefferson.

We won't get any assets just for taking on Bogut. There are other teams with cap space that would take Bogut.

This post brought to you by UGLI baby

We won't get any assets just for taking on Bogut. There are other teams with cap space that would take Bogut.

Then you don't do it. He's not worth that contract and they need to unload him. They will need to unload more than that to get Dwight. Let the "other teams" with cap space take him for nothing. Then GS will be even more desperate to unload Jefferson and other contracts with one less team to send them to.

More from @ESPNSteinLine:

"Also: Latest signals on Warriors say GS-Dubs still aggressively exploring their trade options but ONLY w/Jefferson & Biedrins. NOT Bogut"

"Also: Latest signals on Warriors say GS-Dubs still aggressively exploring their trade options but ONLY w/Jefferson & Biedrins. NOT Bogut"

In other words, GS is bluffing hard in order to see if the Bogut deals they've sketched get better for them. Anybody hitting the panic button? Amateurs.

yeah, I doubt just for Bogut we are getting Thompson or Barnes. That is one reason they would want to trade with us. I would be pretty happy with Bogut and a 1st though. For one of those two we would probably have to take Biedrins or Jefferson as you said. Bogut I think could really help the games of Favors and Kanter and give us a usable 3rd big man. Not sure Gobert will be ready for the NBA.

This. We are not getting Barnes or Thompson with Bogut. We would have to facilitate the whole S & T. At that point though, I think they would just do it with the Lakers. Once the Lakers are convinced they are loosing Howard they will look at S & T's.

So, if I'm reading this right, GS trying to S&T Bogut and probably Barnes to LA for Dwight and also clear enough additional cap to sign Iggy.

So, if I'm reading this right, GS trying to S&T Bogut and probably Barnes to LA for Dwight and also clear enough additional cap to sign Iggy.

I think they are trying to unload Jefferson + Biedrins to sign Dwight outright. If Dwight chooses Houston or L.A., they still have cap room to sign Igoudala and they still have Bogut at center. They're worried that they'll clear cap space (Bogut), lose Howard and be stuck without a starting center.

I'm down for taking on either of those guys for maybe a '15 second rounder. Nothing more.....
Don't know if that would be allowed, but nothing more lol.

Good, then let them have Bogut. There are only a handful of teams with that kind of space available. I know there are a ton of Bogut homers on this board. Yes, he's a very good center. But the caveat is...WHEN HE's HEALTHY. His last five seasons he's played 36, 69, 65, 12 and 32 games. He had ankle problems in the playoffs, not very encouraging given the fracture he was trying to come back from. His acquisition would come with a huge RED medical flag. If Barnes or Thompson aren't included, this trade is just a wasted use of cap space by Utah.

I think they are trying to unload Jefferson + Biedrins to sign Dwight outright. If Dwight chooses Houston or L.A., they still have cap room to sign Igoudala and they still have Bogut at center. They're worried that they'll clear cap space (Bogut), lose Howard and be stuck without a starting center.

Good take. But that probably means they will not want to include Barnes/Thompson with Jefferson and Biedrins. They wouldn't want to lose either of those guys if they don't get Howard and would want to have them available if they needed to do a S&T with the Lakers.

Or the Jazz could try to absorb all of them. Assuming the 150% rule is in play they should be able to do it. I think. Shooting from the hip here a bit.

The Hawks would be the only other team with the flexibility to do that.

^^^No. That's too high a price for Barnes.
GS is the desperate team in this case. The seller needs to sweeten the pot. If they're going after Iggy and Dwight, they may have to give up Barnes AND Thompson to get the two deals done.

Or the Jazz could try to absorb all of them. Assuming the 150% rule is in play they should be able to do it. I think. Shooting from the hip here a bit.

The Hawks would be the only other team with the flexibility to do that.

Yeah, then we'd be able to ask for Barnes and a first. That would be a bargain for GS. It would probably cost them more than that to do the deals separately.

^^^No. That's too high a price for Barnes.
GS is the desperate team in this case. The seller needs to sweeten the pot. If they're going after Iggy and Dwight, they may have to give up Barnes AND Thompson to get the two deals done.

Don't know. What are we really giving up? I'd take it all for Barnes alone.