Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by mellow, Jun 22, 2018.

1. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Jazz have 11-players under contract, Grayson Allen makes 12. Neto, Jerebko and Exum makes 15.

upload_2018-6-22_8-17-57.png

Jazz will have 128 Million with salary and cap holds.

On Draft night Lindsey said Jazz want Derek and Dante back.
    Unless there is some trading I don't expect much to happen.

David Hume likes this.
  2. infection

infection Well-Known Member 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    Time to move on from Favors.

Bawse Dawg likes this.
  3. Ineptimusprime

Ineptimusprime Member

May 28, 2018
    ****ing kill me if we are paying Exum $15 million a year and Favors $18 million a year.

Exum may be worth the QO, but that’s about it. If he gets an offer of more than $10 million a year, Jazz should let him walk. He can’t dribble, shoot, or finish and is the most likely player on the roster to pull a Hayward on us if he does ever reach this potential everyone talks about.

I love Favors, but I agree it’s in both parties’ best interest to let him walk. If he is making anything near $18 million, that better just be a one year over pay.

Wes Mantooth, Bodhi and NUMBERICA like this.
  4. TheStormofWar

TheStormofWar Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    The problem with counting capholds due to FA is they can be released easily. Without the Ungs and holds, we have 76.49m committed. Re-signing Favors and Exum will cut into that, but we still have functional capspace.

LoPo and Ellis269 like this.
  5. Ellis269

Ellis269 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    The Jazz can realistically create the cap space needed to get Paul George if they can sell him on Utah. There’s a cost invloved by losing Favors and Exum. . . but adding a free agent like PG13 has benefits above just his talent and fit.

If Donovan/Utah had enough pull to get him to pull a chris Paul opt-in and trade, there’s actually a pathway (Burks, Jerebko, lots and lots of draft picks) that could let them add Paul George, keep Derrick Favors (similar contract as Jingles), keep Dante Exum (less than $10 million per year) and either keep Thabo/Udoh or use part of the MLE to replace them.

All this - without going over the Luxury Tax.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    SCS and Grayson's Hands like this.
  6. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2014
    This isn't really true. We'd have to offload all the unguaranteed guys too and trade AB to create the space.

I think we could waive the NG guys, sign Exum, see what happens with Favs and then make a move using 15M or so in space... imma run some ###s

There is like not money out there this summer... it will get pretty ugly.

7. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    If we sign Exum to around $8M and renounce all FA and NG guys (we can likely wait to do this until July 9th except for Thabo). We can clear about 13M in space. With the lack of space our there that could get us something by a team needing to offload salary. If we waive and stretch AB (or find some lesser salary for him) we could clear more. hmmmmm.

Rgiss and BTP like this.
  8. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    We most likely bring almost everyone back and dangle our MLE for one or two years or a 1+1 and see what we can get... will be about internal improvement. I'm fine with that... it ain't sexy doe.

Wes Mantooth likes this.
  9. Roy_McAvoy

Roy_McAvoy Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I think this draft pick eliminates Joe Harris as a free-agent with the mid level exception. Probably Wayne Ellington, Avery Bradley, and any other hybrid guards too. The need seems to be at the forward position and maybe back up point guard.

10. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    Mbah a Moute, Bjelica, Tolliver, maybe a one year flier on a guy that didn't get paid... a tryout deal. KCP (kinda small to play 3 doe), Rudy Gay, Jerami Grant.

One thing on my radar if we lose Jerebko, Favs, or Thabo... Trevor Booker reunion on the cheap.

11. infection

infection Well-Known Member 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    If Booker was a reliable three point shooter he’d be perfect. May still even prefer to bring him in.

12. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    I would like to see us sign and trade Favors for a Forward that has potential. Like Jabari or Gordon.

I would like to see us pursue Paul George, and if he wants to come here I am sure we can make it work with the salary.

If not lets definitely keep Favors if he has interest. The contract should be a 1 year deal or ideally an over pay 1 year with a 2nd year team option to keep our flexibility. He has great chemistry and is a really good player that helps us win. I dont want us to pick up another PF just because they can shoot. If they arent better or at least the same as Favors and can shoot we are downgrading our roster.

We should retain Exum.

We should try and move Burks if we need to clear salary space for someone or if we can get an asset for him. If not he has value to us and then will come off the books next year.

If we can find better players then we should let Thabo, Jerebko and Udoh go. If not retain them. They are solid role players. If Sef is healthy I think he is a must keep. He was incredible for us last year when he was healthy and fills a role we need. The other two are for depth. Jerebko is a decent stretch/energy 4 coming off the bench. Udoh advanced numbers in the regular season were amazing but we kind of went away from him late in the season and playoffs so I would guess we are not going to keep him.

13. dalamon

dalamon Well-Known Member 2018 Prediction Contest Winner

Nov 5, 2010
    to the people who want Paul George-- who is our full-time PF if he signs?

14. TheStormofWar

TheStormofWar Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010

It's a start and didn't see a SL thread.

15. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    Paul George, Inlges and/or Crowder.

NUMBERICA and Jingled like this.
  16. stitches

stitches Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2014

rare144 likes this.
  17. Jingled

Jingled Active Member

May 23, 2018
    Bjelly or bust.

18. Stoked

Stoked Modstapo Staff Member 2018 Award Winner

Dec 13, 2011
    I think the Jazz will go big. They try to land a meeting with Paul George. If they convince him to sign say goodbye to non guaranteed contracts like Udoh.

If he doesn’t sign the Jazz will trot out much the same squad and then really go big in 2019.

SCS likes this.
  19. Archie Moses

Archie Moses Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    My favorite part of this thread reads; Derrick Rose $0.

fishonjazz, Ostertag>Duncan and LoPo like this.
  20. Xthren

Xthren Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    I wanted Joe Harris but not happening with the draft of Allen.

2 players I want

Mle - Mario Hezonja
    Bi annual - belijnca (spelling)

Sent from my Z981 using JazzFanz mobile app

LoPo likes this.