What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

Exum isn't worth more then 5 mill. I'll be severely disappointed in the Jazz if they give him 15 mill

Wilson chandler is opting in... Denver is screwed salary wise... wonder if they'd swap Chandler for AB and let Barton walk... saves a little dough... gets more playing time for Trey "eff practice" Lyles.

yeah um no to all three of these.
Why?

Also you have Sefelosha and Jerebko playing there. You have 5 options depending on matchups. Udoh can play there as well pretty well. Although thats rough with Gobert on offense.

Unfortunately for Thabo, our deadline to make a decision on him is 7/1. I think we should decline his option and re-sign him later if both sides still want it.

$5.5 for Thabo is not a good value.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Wondering what contract the Jazz can offer Bjelica that the Wolves are unwilling to match.

This.

I don't think the Wolves would go that high. They already have Gibson starting, they won't be paying Bjelica very much at all.

Bjelica could start on our team if we don't bring back Favors. He's a great fit. We need to go get him if we strike out on the Paul George sweepstake.

Unfortunately for Thabo, our deadline to make a decision on him is 7/1. I think we should decline his option and re-sign him later if both sides still want it.

$5.5 for Thabo is not a good value.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Agree. Crowder took over Thabo's role.
Jazz can always add Thabo for part of the MLE if they don't find anyone else they like.

I think it takes almost the full MLE for Minnesota not to match for Bjelica. But they just might anyway since they're looking to trade KAT and Wiggins. Either one of those trades gives them salary relief.

And what's this about Exum at $15M? I believe that's just his cap hold, correct? I think a few teams would offer him the MLE, though. That's nothing for a former #5 pick who has been injured, but shown flashes. He's worth the risk if a playoff team has room under the tax. Or, he's still young enough to be a key rotation player for a rebuilding team. He'll get at least the MLE.

1. Decline Thabo's option. He's a joker, he's a smoker, he's a midnight toker.
2. Get a final answer from PG.
3. Offer Bjelica up to the MLE. Might be an overpay, but we need his shooting.
4. Re-sign Dante
5. Make a decision on Favors.
6. Re-sign Udoh and Jerebko. They're not really needed, but the expirings could be very valuable trade chips for matching salaries at the deadline.

Something to note with the draft went unnoticed but is a huge signal about our future as an organization. Mitchell is very much in the know about what the Jazz are planning. He also has input into the personnel decisions of the team enough that Lindsey was good with the Grayson pick. The Jazz are quietly beginning the transition of building around him as a, if not the, centerpiece for the franchise.

Exum is the poster-child of the sunk cost fallacy.

This is a great way of putting it.

The way I see it is: (1) if he has the potential, he is unlikely to reach it; and (2) if he does actually reach it, he seems the type that will be on the first goddamn train out of Utah.

Just compare Favors’ and Exum’s comments on FA — Derrick said he loved Utah, Ex said he’d let his agent “figure it out” or something like that.

Just seems like a terrible idea to invest in a guy on potential alone when he’s at best a real flight risk if he does reach it.

This is a great way of putting it.

The way I see it is: (1) if he has the potential, he is unlikely to reach it; and (2) if he does actually reach it, he seems the type that will be on the first goddamn train out of Utah.

Just compare Favors’ and Exum’s comments on FA — Derrick said he loved Utah, Ex said he’d let his agent “figure it out” or something like that.

Just seems like a terrible idea to invest in a guy on potential alone when he’s at best a real flight risk if he does reach it.
Didn't he say he'd love to be back and he thinks the team wants him back?

I think it was basically “team wants me back,” “hope things work out,” and “i’ll let my agent figure it out.”

Could be wrong — would need to find the article...