What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

Yep. If I'm Cleveland, I trade Hill and Clarkson for Melo as soon as he makes that decision. LeBron might decide to just stick around a year and decide next summer.

In a shocker, Chris Paul could say screw Houston and join LBJ/Melo in Cleveland. Cleveland couldnt pay him much until 2019, but what a shocker that would be.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
They’d still suck.

Let's be honest.... 30 teams in the NBA would make room for Paul George and not just the Jazz

30 NBA teams can't make room for Paul George. 30 NBA teams can't offer a playoff-caliber team BEFORE he even joins.

He gets MLE unless Sacramento gets stupid dumb... imo.
Stupid dumb for Sacramento would be going into the season with Frank Mason as the backup PG....

They can afford to pay him 10 per..... Especially if Garrett Temple opts out on Friday....

Dante fits right into their team direction tbh

Here's my theory(wish) based on all of the NBA 'sauces' so far like Windhorst (reliable) and Screamin' A (unreliable but loose lips) and others.

It's being reported LeBron doesn't like Houston or wants to go there. It's LA or Cleveland.
The Cavs are in absolute cap HELL for two more seasons with the exact same roster.
The Lakers have two max slots.
It's being reported there is now 'tension' in Houston due to the Rockets being iffy on maxing CP3.

Put it all together and you have LeBron and Chris Paul doing their thing in LA for two years, minimum.
They'll have to go through the Warriors. Any path to the title goes through Golden State right now. Houston will probably experience a mass exodus of sorts and will weaken with Ariza getting older and searching for a larger contract. The East (except maybe Boston, we don't know how good they will be fully staffed) will get killed by whoever comes out of the West, probably. So, beat the Warriors and you're pretty much looking at a title.

What does this have to do with the Jazz? Paul George. It's been reported he won't take a paycut. AND he's not a Banana Boat Bro with reported super close ties to either guy. So, he's suddenly got a lot of options if the Lakers can't bring him on. I fully believe DL would do whatever it takes it to bring in a Tier A superstar like Paul George. Changing that perception is big on the minds of everyone at ZBBC. Would it gut our roster? Sure. But, we're a 50 win team as we stand. Why not shoot for 60 and compete with the Warriors?

I think a problem with this scenario is that Houston could pretty easily make room for PG if CP3 heads to LA.

Stupid dumb for Sacramento would be going into the season with Frank Mason as the backup PG....

They can afford to pay him 10 per..... Especially if Garrett Temple opts out on Friday....

Dante fits right into their team direction tbh

Temple would be stupid not to take $8 million in this offseason market.

Temple would be stupid not to take $8 million in this offseason market.

He might want to go to a contender. HE plays D and shoots 3's and is an extremely well respected vet, some contender will pick him up ifhe wants. He dropped like 37 points in a game last season he's got some good years left.

He might want to go to a contender. HE plays D and shoots 3's and is an extremely well respected vet, some contender will pick him up ifhe wants. He dropped like 37 points in a game last season he's got some good years left.

But he won't be making $8 million. That's probably like what 40-50% of his career earnings? Dude isn't turning that down.

But he won't be making $8 million. That's probably like what 40-50% of his career earnings? Dude isn't turning that down.

He's a lifer... Temple will likely be in a front office position immediately after he retires. He could easily go on TV and be an analyst too.

Thats the final season of his 3 year $24MM deal.

I think teams like Phoenix and Sacramento will go with Smart before Exum... I hope he gets paid so much... make Ainge sweat.

He's a lifer... Temple will likely be in a front office position immediately after he retires. He could easily go on TV and be an analyst too.

Thats the final season of his 3 year $24MM deal.

Well that makes me think even more that he will pick up his option. Make your $8 million, hit the market when the money available is like quadrupled or more next offseason and don't give anything up.

I have mixed emotions about bringing in PG. Yes he is a star but what is the cost. Loss of depth and chemistry. Paul is a little bit of a ball stopper and wants the ball in his hand. How many players are we going to lose because of his contract. Last year, he had some bad playoff games against us and at times took some horrible shots.

I would bring back Exum at the right price. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to offer him crazy money considering his injury history.

Yep. If I'm Cleveland, I trade Hill and Clarkson for Melo as soon as he makes that decision. LeBron might decide to just stick around a year and decide next summer.

In a shocker, Chris Paul could say screw Houston and join LBJ/Melo in Cleveland. Cleveland couldnt pay him much until 2019, but what a shocker that would be.

Chris Paul would have to take a massive paycut to go to Cleveland. I’ve been expecting rumors of LeBron and CP3 teaming up in LA to grow stronger heading into the offseason.

I have mixed emotions about bringing in PG. Yes he is a star but what is the cost. Loss of depth and chemistry. Paul is a little bit of a ball stopper and wants the ball in his hand. How many players are we going to lose because of his contract. Last year, he had some bad playoff games against us and at times took some horrible shots.

I would bring back Exum at the right price. I don't think anyone is dumb enough to offer him crazy money considering his injury history.
I fully believe that Quin Snyder would be able to manage that and bring out the best aspects of Paul George. I’d be sad to lose Favors and Exum. I still see potential and value in both of them. With that said. . . Paul George is a legitimate All Star at the Wing position. Jazz can get by with Crowder and a free agent at PF, then chase something bigger next offseason.

Well that makes me think even more that he will pick up his option. Make your $8 million, hit the market when the money available is like quadrupled or more next offseason and don't give anything up.

Thing is tho the Kings have a huge chunk of space either way and what I see from them defensively, and what Exum brings to the table defensively, its in desperate need at PG, SG and SF, even more so if Temple leaves... They have no 2019 1st rd pick, its gone. 23 year old Exum former 5th pick with palpable upside, who's had some unlucky injuries but kept his burst, is a very worthy gamble for them when you really think about it if his shot starts coming around it'll pay off in spades -- for anyone who signs him...

The Kings like to roll out waves of new players every year til they stick, it;s actually a pretty good plan. Exum would fall in line with this. Temple isn't long-term plans, if they think Exum is they could be bidders.

We can still keep Exum depending on the price. Jazz lose Favors and the NG guys. Also renounce Neto. Would not have the MLE. But it's ok. Teams only have 9 guys in the rotation. The main concern would be a backup to Rudy. You lose Favors and renounce Udoh. Only have vet minimum deals to offer. Can Bradley play 15 mins/per; he's barely out of diapers. Or is there a ring chaser out there who doesn't sign with GS or Houston or Boston?

This may be a moot point. I could even see Lebron signing a 1 yr deal and PG opting in and punting until next year. That way Kawhi is also a FA and the trio can join the Lakers.

Last edited: