What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

What qualifies as a star? Harris? Middleton? Aaron Gordon?

Or are we talking about an established all-star? I just don’t see a scenario where an established all-star like Klay Thompson signs in Utah when he could choose pretty much any team in the NBA next year.

Or are we talking about an established all-star? I just don’t see a scenario where an established all-star like Klay Thompson signs in Utah when he could choose pretty much any team in the NBA next year.

I like to think an all star is someone that you could make an argument is a top 20 player in the league in terms of impact to their team in comparison to others players. A superstar is making the argument they are a top 10. By those metrics, Utah has one superstar in Gobert and Mitchell will probably be one next year. Utah is one shy in that regard. I don't see Utah making a play for Klay, but Utah has some talent that could transcend (Exum and I'm going to probably be roasted, but Favors or Rubio could make that leap. Rubio is closer). If not, we can trade or sign. Utah made a demonstration last year of what they could do. Another such demonstration and Utah would become a destination. Boogie going to Golden State and George staying in OKC makes anything possible. Utah is, assuming a very good season which would be the floor assuming health, a destination for a large caliber FA what wants to win and can slot right in. Geographical stigma can be offset or superseded by club culture.

Geographical stigma can be offset or superseded by club culture.
Is this what you meant to say?

gallery_music-culture-club-2.jpg

Established star. It may be unlikely but you completely eliminate the chance if you don't have the space and lock in your roster by using the space on middling starters. Every team is NOT going to have max level cap space. Not even half. And only one team can offer the young duo of Mitch/Gobert.

I'm VERY excited by this!!!

Jonas was kind of the odd man out if someone was going to be waived, but I wouldn't put much stock in it as far as a dynamite move. Could be just giving the Jazz some space to work with 10 days and what not during the season.

Jonas was kind of the odd man out if someone was going to be waived, but I wouldn't put much stock in it as far as a dynamite move. Could be just giving the Jazz some space to work with 10 days and what not during the season.

Couldn't Jabari be the star we're looking for?

Couldn't Jabari be the star we're looking for?

Doubtful. The Bucks will match an MLE and he'll probably get a bigger offer elsewhere. It's probably just about roster space while gaining some flexibility for contingencies this season. Jazz were 500k from the luxury tax by my math and one 10 day guaranteed for the season (like Stockton last year) would have put them over into the tax.

Tony Jones always seems off on things. He said he feels like the Jazz will guarantee Jerebko/Udoh and call it an off-season.

Not even 16 hours later they waive Jerebko.