What's new

Jazz Free Agency Summer of 2018

I wonder if Jabari would consider signing a deal with us for 8.135 million(the most we can offer with MLE I think) and it goes up by the maximum amount each year. We would have to waive Udoh but we could promise him plenty of time at the 4 spot and be apart of a 3 man rotation of Favors, Gobert and Jabari. Although Bucks would match that deal pretty fast and just wait the 1 year out and trade him.
I don’t see a reason not to offer that. They have 48 hours to match. We don’t have to waive Udoh. If they match then we’re in the same boat.

I don’t see a reason not to offer that. They have 48 hours to match. We don’t have to waive Udoh. If they match then we’re in the same boat.

If we waive Udoh that puts us into luxury tax territory right? So then our MLE is way less?

I also agree there is no reason for us not to offer that but I doubt Paker accepts. He probably thinks its better to take a low amount this year and become an UFA next year when there is more money and he can prove his health for a season. But maybe he wants to be in Utah and/or wants the security of a longer deal.

If we waive Udoh that puts us into luxury tax territory right? So then our MLE is way less?

I also agree there is no reason for us not to offer that but I doubt Paker accepts. He probably thinks its better to take a low amount this year and become an UFA next year when there is more money and he can prove his health for a season. But maybe he wants to be in Utah and/or wants the security of a longer deal.
What I’m saying is we don’t have to waive Udoh to make the offer as we’d know if it’s matched before the guarantee date. But yeah, Jabari is probably waiting it out, maybe hoping he gets some kind of Zach Lavine offer.

What I’m saying is we don’t have to waive Udoh to make the offer as we’d know if it’s matched before the guarantee date. But yeah, Jabari is probably waiting it out, maybe hoping he gets some kind of Zach Lavine offer.
Oh, I was under the impression we had to have the room to make the offer. But what you are saying sounds better.

Great move by the Bulls BTW - let the market set the price then quickly match. You don't string it along and ruin the relationship with your star player.
That's what we did with Hayward and he held a grudge for what, 4 years? Good hell what a ****ing tool. So glad he is gone.

But he sure would mesh nicely with what we have going on right now. :)

I doubt Parker signs a multi-year deal for the MLE unless he gets a PO for later seasons. Gotta think he wants to resuscitate his volume and get paid later.

Niang and Bradley move like they are in mud. I have a really hard time seeing either meaningfully contribute to an NBA team ever. Neither is ever going to be able to guard anyone.

Niang can really shoot the 3 though and seems to have slimmed down from his ISU days.

I wonder if Jabari would consider signing a deal with us for 8.135 million(the most we can offer with MLE I think) and it goes up by the maximum amount each year. We would have to waive Udoh but we could promise him plenty of time at the 4 spot and be apart of a 3 man rotation of Favors, Gobert and Jabari. Although Bucks would match that deal pretty fast and just wait the 1 year out and trade him.

Although I am sure Jabari is waiting until Lavine contract gets matched to see if they will make a big offer.

Love this idea. But doubt it would ever happen.

I could easily see us looking back at this free agency period and completely regretting not going after Jabari. I might be the only one here who thinks he be is a grade A talent. His knee is the only concern I have. But for a lot of people its a two parts issue.

If Jabari's knee holds up and he stays healthy, I will guarantee we regret not jumping on the opportunity here. Had Jabari never even been injured I believe he would be close to 25ppg and the thought of the Bucks not matching wouldnt even be a thing. He would be impossible to get.

We sit here and cry about not able to land superstars and yet we dont want to take a chance on opportunities when they present themselves.

Maybe they did call and he said no though. There is that possibility I guess .

Im happy with Favors but would have been more excited (and nervous) about Jabari.

I flirted w getting excited about the opportunity to grab Jabari this off season. But does anybody else wonder about his attitude? And the danger of affecting chemistry?

I know its probably been covered already, but I have a question for all the cap smart people.

Is there anything the Jazz could do at this point to clear enough room to go after Jabari like dump Burks and/or someone else?

I wish we wouldnt have picked up Thabo's option so we could explore this longer.

But I don't know anything. Just not sure based on something I read about his time at Milwaukee Bucks.

I can't even remember wheat I read though.

I know its probably been covered already, but I have a question for all the cap smart people.

Is there anything the Jazz could do at this point to clear enough room to go after Jabari like dump Burks and/or someone else?

I wish we wouldnt have picked up Thabo's option so we could explore this longer.
No there is nothing we could do beyond offering the MLE. Even if we didnt pick up the option on Thabo the most we could offer is 8.6 million since we would still be over the cap.

If we dumped Burks for nothing and didnt sign Thabo we would still be over the salary cap so it would be the same offer. We could have taken the risk of losing Favors and made Jabari an offer of more but then if they match it we would have been screwed.

Is a sign and trade still possible? Burks and Udoh, a pick, right to swap, take a contract (buy out/ stretch) - something like that?

Makes Favors major insurance if Parker gets hurt, if he proves healthy we could drop Favors 18 million next off season, if Parker gets hurt luckily we have Favors signed.

Is a sign and trade still possible? Burks and Udoh, a pick, right to swap, take a contract (buy out/ stretch) - something like that?

Makes Favors major insurance if Parker gets hurt, if he proves healthy we could drop Favors 18 million next off season, if Parker gets hurt luckily we have Favors signed.

Got the insurance park backwards there.