What's new

Jazz Media / Content Day

Quin hasnt been proven wrong on a single prospect yet. People hated on his Exum treatment too but where is Exum now?
That's fine but it isn't like we brought a **** ton of young talent through... it can also be a bit of a self fulfilling prophesy.

It isn't just young guys... he had a hard time experimenting with different guys and giving up regular season production for playoff preparation. He struggled to play the long game at times... we also didn't give him a lot of clay to mold.

Ain't saying Quin did JB dirty but when he saw a kid having a good pre-season he threw cold water on it and gave him a role that would be almost impossible to succeed in. Didn't do him favors and try to create a situation for him to develop... i know i know we were a contender. He had his reasons and may be proven right.

Nope. Trading Donny and or some other pieces like Royce and building around Rudy was an option, an extremely good on IMO. Filling in a solid wing or stretch 4 was very doable and Conley is still solid as a PG on the right team.
No it wasn't a good option. That is a 10 to 8 seed.

Just saying that your claim was hyperbolic. I would say they have 6 solid NBA to very good NBA players.
Gordon, Porter Jr., Tate

Green and Sengun (don't really help you win yet) Jabari is a rookie... All these guys hurt you as much as they help you since they are inefficient young players.

Their other guys are replacement level until they prove otherwise.

Our opening season schedule is really brutal and may just be enough of a shock to the system to really get tanky... end of season is a joke and teams will be starting all G League lineups and you will win some by default.

Gordon, Porter Jr., Tate

Green and Sengun (don't really help you win yet) Jabari is a rookie... All these guys hurt you as much as they help you since they are inefficient young players.

Their other guys are replacement level until they prove otherwise.
I'd add Kenyon Martin Jr to the list as well. I know that situation is a bit contentious, but I would say he could be a rotation piece on a playoff team in the right role. Garuba showed role player promise in Euro Basket.

I think Green/Sengun will be more of "winning players" this year and like I said about Jabari, I think he's going to be a very good "winning" rookie. Might not have the touches/numbers of the other top picks, but he fits into a role and has the size to be an immediate positive impact.

I'd add Kenyon Martin Jr to the list as well. I know that situation is a bit contentious, but I would say he could be a rotation piece on a playoff team in the right role. Garuba showed role player promise in Euro Basket.

I think Green/Sengun will be more of "winning players" this year and like I said about Jabari, I think he's going to be a very good "winning" rookie. Might not have the touches/numbers of the other top picks, but he fits into a role and has the size to be an immediate positive impact.
Then you compare what you described above with the fact we have 9 nba legit rotation players… like every team in the league would play… not including guys that could be good young players… Lauri and Collin are already like a few steps further along than green sengun and likely to take a step forward. I just think it’s obvious we are a quite a bit better than Houston and San Antonio… OKC it depends on how they manage SGA and Dort. 4-5 games could be the difference between 3rd and 7th… it’s a pretty big pivot point if we don’t lose enough.

Then you compare what you described above with the fact we have 9 nba legit rotation players… like every team in the league would play… not including guys that could be good young players… Lauri and Collin are already like a few steps further along than green sengun and likely to take a step forward. I just think it’s obvious we are a quite a bit better than Houston and San Antonio… OKC it depends on how they manage SGA and Dort. 4-5 games could be the difference between 3rd and 7th… it’s a pretty big pivot point if we don’t lose enough.
Oh yeah, I dont think we are worse than Houston, but I think Houston could be more competitive than you were alluding to.

Maybe, we're better on the paper. The final standings will depands on who wins more games with quality teams like POR, PHX etc. HOU OKC have one year of losing experience more than UTH. They are few years ahead of us with rebuilding. So we should be lower.
SAS is the only team with better chance to be last in the standings, even Pop said that they wont win this year.

Take it for what its worth... Locke mentioned the over/under being 24.5... said the team he watched practice yesterday will be well over that. He oscillates between being a hype man and limiting expectations... so who knows.

Take it for what its worth... Locke mentioned the over/under being 24.5... said the team he watched practice yesterday will be well over that. He oscillates between being a hype man and limiting expectations... so who knows.
I'm personally having a hard time predicting our win total. I don't think the front office wants to win games, but I also don't think they will interfere too much with Hardy's rotations or who he chooses to play. As is, Hardy should be able to put together almost 48 minutes of NBA quality players. Our defense will be bad, which should guarantee a sub 30 win team, but we have some legit offensive weapons. Our top end talent isn't great, but we have more depth than the other bad teams.

I think the front office will trade away our vet players by the trade deadline which should help, but there is also the possibility of players taking a step forward, specifically Sexton and Lauri, which could add more wins than expected.

I'm personally having a hard time predicting our win total. I don't think the front office wants to win games, but I also don't think they will interfere too much with Hardy's rotations or who he chooses to play. As is, Hardy should be able to put together almost 48 minutes of NBA quality players. Our defense will be bad, which should guarantee a sub 30 win team, but we have some legit offensive weapons. Our top end talent isn't great, but we have more depth than the other bad teams.

I think the front office will trade away our vet players by the trade deadline which should help, but there is also the possibility of players taking a step forward, specifically Sexton and Lauri, which could add more wins than expected.
Pelton did his projection and had us at 34.9 wins... the 6th lowest total. I think that is high but I think 30 wins without FO interference is the right number. Injuries always can drive that down... but with relative health that is where I'd guess we land. With FO interference (trading Conley/JC... telling Hardy to give the ball to THT and let him cook) I think we are in the 25-27 win range.

It would be a real nut punch to win 29 games instead of 25 for "culture" and end up with the 7th or 8th pick instead of top 4.

Non-Jazz Media Day Thing:

Supposedly Eric Paschall considered quitting basketball because no one was calling to sign him until the Wolves offered him the 2-way. Donovan motivated him not to give up.
Wild... would seem like he could get some decent money overseas.