What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

I'm intrigued, but I'm not sold on him. Seems like he would want more playing time than we would be willing to offer this year. And he would have to be a S&T and I know you don't like those lol
Ha. I like em… just think they are impossible for us capwise if we are getting the signee.

I think you’d have to pay 150% of what he’s worth currently to get him… and he may very well be 200% more than he currently is but it’s not a bet I’d be excited about making. A young team with oodles of cap space should offer him a big deal and make the Lakers sweat or lose him. OKC/NY should be all over him imo.

It all comes down to what happen on draft night. Before then, it's all speculation as to our plan for this offseason. Need an upside guy with freakish athleticism to allow us to at least entertain with the idea of "running it back". If we blow it again like we did last year, it's near impossible to recover from that. No matter what approach we make, it all starts with July 29th......

Losing Mike Conley for nothing would be bad by all accounts. Even if you don’t like the fit and want him gone. He’s an All-Star level player with positive trade value. You re-sign him, and if it isn’t working, move him at the deadline to move right back into the first round you are currently out of next year.

Do we currently even have a second rounder in next year’s draft?

I tend to agree that the optimal time to move Bogey is this offseason if we can find a deal for him.

Losing Mike Conley for nothing would be bad by all accounts. Even if you don’t like the fit and want him gone. He’s an All-Star level player with positive trade value. You re-sign him, and if it isn’t working, move him at the deadline to move right back into the first round you are currently out of next year.

I tend to agree that the optimal time to move Bogey is this offseason if we can find a deal for him.
We don't have a second rounder until 2047.

DL threw away all of our second round picks till 2027. It's almost like the man knew he was not gonna be in the job for long so he showed the middle finger to the next guy in line and say "**** you and have fun with it"

It all comes down to what happen on draft night. Before then, it's all speculation as to our plan for this offseason. Need an upside guy with freakish athleticism to allow us to at least entertain with the idea of "running it back". If we blow it again like we did last year, it's near impossible to recover from that. No matter what approach we make, it all starts with July 29th......
Yep, the draft and what Conley does on day 1 are the obvious inflection points here.

If we know Mike Conley is likely gone by draft day, I expect a trade on draft day and/or expect us to draft a big PG like Ayo.

If we draft a 3/4 at 30, or trade down and out of the first round, it probably means we like our chances of keeping Conley.

Draft should be the “tell” on Conley.

Yep, the draft and what Conley does on day 1 are the obvious inflection points here.

If we know Mike Conley is likely gone by draft day, I expect a trade on draft day and/or expect us to draft a big PG like Ayo.

If we draft a 3/4 at 30, or trade down and out of the first round, it probably means we like our chances of keeping Conley.

Draft should be the “tell” on Conley.
The tell will be if we trade back or offload salary.

and even though i generally agree with the idea of keeping Conley, it does come with some risk. If he demands too much, it's to our best interest not to bring him back because the "positive trade value" thing will just get thrown out the window. It may end up becoming Blake or Drummond 2.0 where every team wants his service but is unwilling to trade for his overpriced contract, which would force us to buy him out and let him walk for free.

The tell will be if we trade back or offload salary.
Yep. It also could be we are completely in the dark on draft day, which would suck.

I honestly believe Mike is pretty open. I have no idea what his values are either. Does he just want the most money? Or does he just want to win a championship? Or does he want to balance both of those things? Or does he just not want to play in Utah anymore, period?

He might honestly have a better chance of winning a championship with the Lakers next year, but couldn’t get paid to go there. The Knicks and Mavs could likely offer him more more money, but they don’t offer as good of a chance as we do of winning a title, IMO. We will be the best offer in terms of balancing title chances with getting paid.

Last edited:
Knowing our luck, we will offload salary then Mike leaves anyway. Then we're like - I really wish we had more young players....
trade back may not be a bad idea if it net us more draft picks. Like trading 30th for two mid second rounders. I like the idea of Greg Brown and BJ Boston. The upside is there if they figure it out. We need more upside guys. Not guys we've work on for years just so they can become min salary guys readily available.

Last edited:
Yep. It also could be we are completely in the dark on draft day, which would suck.

I honestly believe Mike is pretty open. I have no idea what his values are either. Does he just want the most money? Or does he just want to win a championship? Or does he want to balance both of those things? Or does he just not want to play in Utah anymore, period.

He might honestly have a better chance of winning a championship with the Lakers next year, but couldn’t get paid to go there. The Knicks and Mavs could offer him more more money, but they don’t offer as good of a chance as we do of winning a title, IMO. We will be the best offer in terms of balancing title chances with getting paid.
We need perimeter defenders/athletic wings regardless of Conley's status. It's been the clear and obvious default choice to us for years now.

and even though i generally agree with the idea of keeping Conley, it does come with some risk. If he demands too much, it's to our best interest not to bring him back because the "positive trade value" thing will just get thrown out the window. It may end up becoming Blake or Drummond 2.0 where every team wants his service but is unwilling to trade for his overpriced contract, which would force us to buy him out and let him walk for free.
I agree. I love the idea of Conley for a very short window of time, but then again, his fragility has burned already two years in a row. And the size of the contract to make him return really concerns me as well.

In a perfect world, Conley wants to leave but we get something in return that helps us more long term. I don't know what that is. Maybe picks that go into another trade? I doubt we get a massive difference maker from Conley, but it's better than him just walking.

trade back may not be a bad idea if it net us more draft picks. Like trading 30th for two mid second rounders. I like the idea of Greg Brown and BJ Boston. The upside is there if they figure it out. We need more upside guys.
If they actually have any upside, that is.

I honestly believe Mike is pretty open. I have no idea what his values are either. Does he just want the most money? Or does he just want to win a championship? Or does he want to balance both of those things? Or does he just not want to play in Utah anymore, period?

He might honestly have a better chance of winning a championship with the Lakers next year, but couldn’t get paid to go there. The Knicks and Mavs could likely offer him more more money, but they don’t offer as good of a chance as we do of winning a title, IMO. We will be the best offer in terms of balancing title chances with getting paid.
I think having a relationship with the owner will help us get a read... it might also be that he does the Hayward wishy washy thing.

I think the title is a factor but also his wife is a factor. She likely has ambitions that may lead Mike to a bigger market. Happy wife and all that...

We need perimeter defenders/athletic wings regardless of Conley's status. It's been the clear and obvious default choice to us for years now.
Well, if Conley leaves, we will also need a starting PG, or at least PG depth. A big PG like Ayo at 30 would be a good pick and a good fit next to Don if he pans out.

I too would prefer to draft some length there.

Anything but a big PG or switchy, athletic defense-minded 3/4 is an indefensible pick.

Well, if Conley leaves, we will also need a starting PG, or at least PG depth. A big PG like Ayo at 30 would be a good pick and a good fit next to Don if he pans out.

Anything but a big PG or switchy, athletic defense-minded 3/4 is an indefensible pick.
in other words, we desperately need to get more draft picks so we can acquire more talented young players at multiple positions. OKC may be a good trade partner because they have 7 or 8 draft picks in this upcoming draft.

I know this is borderline bananas, but if we lose out on Conley, what if we.....

Bojan, Favors and Clarkson
for
John Wall and a boatload of picks

Houston has:
3 1st rounders in 2021
3 1st rounders in 2022
3 1st rounders in 2023
2 1st rounders in 2024

Houston would likely want a 3rd team to funnel either Clarkson or Bojan to.

Don, Rudy and Wall would make $107 by themselves this year and even more next year, but could the picks be worth it? John Wall is only 30 years old and averaged 20.6 ppg, 7apg and 3rpg. His contract expires after next season.

Pipedream for sure but you never know...

in other words, we desperately need to get more draft picks so we can acquire more talented young players at multiple positions. OKC may be a good trade partner because they have 7 or 8 draft picks in this upcoming draft.
Right, but do we have anything they want?