What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

I hope the new-ish front office is better at structuring deals. I actually think we could do a 3 year deal that gives $20M and 22M the first two years guaranteed and then a non-guaranteed 3rd year that gives him $5M if we waive him... a way to spread the money out a bit and get him a solid market value. But year it likely is a 3 year deal with a player option on the final year.
Conley has the Jazz by the balls and he knows it. Maybe it is not a problem for the new owner. I think if the Millers still owned the team we would know that Conley had played his last game here.

Also, if we can clear Favs salary and Conley walks for nothing (its likely a sign and trade)... then we would open up the full MLE. Maybe there is something solid we can find in a longer term option with that money.
Losing Conley for nothing + Losing an asset to dump Favors + Adding a full MLE player = Man that would be depressing.
There are just too many teams with the full MLE or cap space. We would be spending on the scraps left by other teams.

I think no matter what - we have to be trading this summer. Mike or no Mike. Favors or no Favors.
We got to get creative with the trades whether we start a rebuild or we re-tool around Don, Mike and Rudy.

I hope the new-ish front office is better at structuring deals. I actually think we could do a 3 year deal that gives $20M and 22M the first two years guaranteed and then a non-guaranteed 3rd year that gives him $5M if we waive him... a way to spread the money out a bit and get him a solid market value. But year it likely is a 3 year deal with a player option on the final year.
Even Rudy’s contract. Why the absolute hell they didn’t more evenly distribute the amount over the years is terrible. They could have structured all the contracts so much better. PS Ryan let’s get the front office structured as you’re going to do it soon.

Losing Conley for nothing + Losing an asset to dump Favors + Adding a full MLE player = Man that would be depressing.
There are just too many teams with the full MLE or cap space. We would be spending on the scraps left by other teams.

I think no matter what - we have to be trading this summer. Mike or no Mike. Favors or no Favors.
We got to get creative with the trades whether we start a rebuild or we re-tool around Don, Mike and Rudy.
We could also participate in sign and trades... if we dump favs and lose Conley... its all kinda depressing tbh. I just think whether or not Conley stays or goes I would move Favs at draft time to open some **** up.

Fwiw, I watched some of Donovan IG live yesterday and I do believe he said at one point when Mike commented in the feed “we gotta get Mike back” If I can find his IG live on YouTube or something I’ll post it. I didn’t catch that for sure but he said something close to it at one point when Mike was commenting on his IG live.

We could also participate in sign and trades... if we dump favs and lose Conley... its all kinda depressing tbh. I just think whether or not Conley stays or goes I would move Favs at draft time to open some **** up.
If we sign a small ball 5 that's pretty decent, I'm okay letting Favors go. But we just pay to shed his contract then Rudy gets hurt, we spent a lot of money for nothing.

More than likely though, our backup options for Rudy will be Doke and some scrub type center signing.

Pretty, pretty please, Universe, can we have nice things this offseason?!?!

I hate that we are pinning our hopes on a late first round pick and free agency. Relying on free agency to help us get better seems unlikely to pay off under normal circumstances, let alone right now without any money.

So the pitch is “well, it’s in Utah, we have very minimal playing time to offer you, and we can’t really pay you well, so…you interested?”

If we sign a small ball 5 that's pretty decent, I'm okay letting Favors go. But we just pay to shed his contract then Rudy gets hurt, we spent a lot of money for nothing.

More than likely though, our backup options for Rudy will be Doke and some scrub type center signing.
If Rudy or Donovan get hurt we are cooked as contenders. I assume those guys are healthy for the most part when building the roster. If one misses 20-25 games we can duct tape things together just fine.

If Rudy or Donovan get hurt we are cooked as contenders. I assume those guys are healthy for the most part when building the roster. If one misses 20-25 games we can duct tape things together just fine.
We could gut out a few wins here and there without Rudy or Don or Mike. It would be really hard to win a series without Rudy, but I think we could do it. It would have to be like the first round this year.

I would just hate to get to the first round and lose to a team we could beat if we just had Favors. And if we come up against Embiid or Jokic with Rudy, we still might want to have a Favors option. I just don't think we are in dump Favors mode unless Mike leaves for nothing. So that rules out the draft really.

Fwiw, I watched some of Donovan IG live yesterday and I do believe he said at one point when Mike commented in the feed “we gotta get Mike back” If I can find his IG live on YouTube or something I’ll post it. I didn’t catch that for sure but he said something close to it at one point when Mike was commenting on his IG live.
Thats a good sign I think.

2:08-2:20 mark in this IG live, he says something like “y’all out here recruiting Mike to come back” “don’t worry y’all”

In before @oneye mentions he is playing Ex-Factor on the IG live.

I got nothing out of that tbh…

In before @oneye mentions he is playing Ex-Factor on the IG live.

I got nothing out of that tbh…
Yeah, when he said it I didn't hear exactly what he said, he did say "don't worry y'all" Not much. Plenty to be determined, I think it'll probably mostly depend on what the Jazz want to pay tax wise, because re-signing him is a huge bill.

2:08-2:20 mark in this IG live, he says something like “y’all out here recruiting Mike to come back” “don’t worry y’all”

I can't hear anything other than Mike's name.

Yeah, when he said it I didn't hear exactly what he said, he did say "don't worry y'all" Not much. Plenty to be determined, I think it'll probably mostly depend on what the Jazz want to pay tax wise, because re-signing him is a huge bill.
I’m feeling less understanding with Ryan not paying up. Listened to a pod about the Clippers $700M tax loss… i didn’t know they got to write off the purchase price over 15 years which creates a huge no -cash “expense”. I figured most teams operated at a loss of tens of millions which saves a bundle in tax… didn’t realize it was hundreds of millions.

So I’m joining the group that says… Ryan cut the damn checks… the tax savings you are already getting for amortizing an appreciating asset are already subsidizing this ****. It would be like if we got to write off real estate purchase prices over time because the utility is being used up… even though it actually increases in value over time. The game is rigged.