What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Right, but do we have anything they want?
Cash. They are at the point where they have to start giving these picks away because they don't have the roster spot to absorb all the players they drafted. They got picks as low as 55 so it won't cost much. 35 and 36 though, we need a bit of luck since GMs like DL who just throw away 2nd round picks like candies don't come by very often.

Last edited:
Cash. They are at the point where they have to start giving these picks away because they don't have the roster spot to absorb all the players they drafted. They got picks as low as 55 so it won't cost much. 35 and 36 though, we need a bit of luck but GMs like DL who just throw away 2nd round picks like candies don't come by very often.
Definitely a good spot to buy from. Agree there.

Unless they like Doke or something or think they’ll want to be winning sometime that Clarkson would fit on the timeline, I don’t think we have anything they’d want to even trade a second round pick for.

Realistic landing spots for our guys in trades would seem to be “win now” spots with matching salary or cap space that strike out in free agency, or places that are super desperate to get to the playoffs (i.e.,Sacramento). We have no truly young guys other than Don that anyone would want. And our youngish guys (Royce and JC) are probably still too old for OKC’s timeline.

I’ve found it extremely hard to match Bogey’s salary for anything that could be realistic that we’d want back using the trade machine. About the only deal I like for us is a Conley pivot deal with Boston centered around Marcus Smart and Bogey. Other than that, if someone with the cap space to absorb Bogey wants to give us a pick and/or younger smaller contract for Bogey, then great.

Last edited:
All I know is I am absolutely dead-set on finding some way to turn Bogey into Franz Wagner (or Moses Moody). I'm about to become a full-blown meme about it. I'm telling you, the kid is going to ball out on the right team (a good one where he isn't expected to be a star and his elite glue guy skills can shine) is going to make a massive impact.

While we're engaging in fantasy:
-Trade Clarkson into NY's cap space and get #19 or #21 (grab Butler)
-Trade Bogey and #30 into SAS's space for #12 (grab Wagner or Moody)
-Find some way to dump Favors into space (OKC?)
-Cut Oni (and whoever else on the end of the bench who aren't guaranteed salary)
-Then the Jazz have ~$25 million in cap space to go after Lonzo Ball or John Collins

I know this is borderline bananas, but if we lose out on Conley, what if we.....

Bojan, Favors and Clarkson
for
John Wall and a boatload of picks

Houston has:
3 1st rounders in 2021
3 1st rounders in 2022
3 1st rounders in 2023
2 1st rounders in 2024

Houston would likely want a 3rd team to funnel either Clarkson or Bojan to.

Don, Rudy and Wall would make $107 by themselves this year and even more next year, but could the picks be worth it? John Wall is only 30 years old and averaged 20.6 ppg, 7apg and 3rpg. His contract expires after next season.

Pipedream for sure but you never know...
John Wall is on Dwight Howard level of douchebaggery so i doubt he would report to Utah if he's ever traded here.

in other words, we desperately need to get more draft picks so we can acquire more talented young players at multiple positions. OKC may be a good trade partner because they have 7 or 8 draft picks in this upcoming draft.

Right, but do we have anything they want?
They are the trade partner we should look at. Lots of interesting possibilities. They can take Favs into space and if they are unsuccessful in moving 16 and 18 to move up then I can see them wanting to defer a few picks this year for a future pick.

We can trade our 2024 pick... it just has to have language in it that it conveys after the Memphis pick (which will convey in 2022 unless something catastrophic happens). Would they go for a lotto protected pick in the future (I can't do unprotected picks). You could do a very limited protection pick (like top 4) and now you get a real premium... but its a dice role for sure. Doing a Favs + 2024 pick with light protections might be enough to net you Williams, Roby (cheap intriguing labor) and 34/36. It helps solve a lot of money problems. Williams is a rotation player that replaces Niang on the cheap and gives us some roster flexibility. Roby could be the 4/5 that gives us the small ball lineups we want and provides some stretch. You hit on one of the picks (30,34,36) and you might be in business.

They are the trade partner we should look at. Lots of interesting possibilities. They can take Favs into space and if they are unsuccessful in moving 16 and 18 to move up then I can see them wanting to defer a few picks this year for a future pick.

We can trade our 2024 pick... it just has to have language in it that it conveys after the Memphis pick (which will convey in 2022 unless something catastrophic happens). Would they go for a lotto protected pick in the future (I can't do unprotected picks). You could do a very limited protection pick (like top 4) and now you get a real premium... but its a dice role for sure. Doing a Favs + 2024 pick with light protections might be enough to net you Williams, Roby (cheap intriguing labor) and 34/36. It helps solve a lot of money problems. Williams is a rotation player that replaces Niang on the cheap and gives us some roster flexibility. Roby could be the 4/5 that gives us the small ball lineups we want and provides some stretch. You hit on one of the picks (30,34,36) and you might be in business.
JZ would insert himself as our GM of the future the moment he's pulled this one off.

I don't think we have the talent accumulated in order to rationalize sending out the 2024 pick. Maybe those OKC guys are worth it, but I just don't like being that extended without the ability to trade any pick (our 2nds are all gone it seems).

If we had to give out that pick for a Lonzo or John Collins, I could see it. But using it to save money and get a role player that might fit or might not, I just don't feel comfortable doing that.

I don't think we have the talent accumulated in order to rationalize sending out the 2024 pick. Maybe those OKC guys are worth it, but I just don't like being that extended without the ability to trade any pick (our 2nds are all gone it seems).

If we had to give out that pick for a Lonzo or John Collins, I could see it. But using it to save money and get a role player that might fit or might not, I just don't feel comfortable doing that.
It's A LOT of money and it also allows the Jazz to keep #30 this year.

lottery protection is the key. If we can work out the protection on the pick so it becomes a 2nd round pick or late 1st down the road, it's definitely worth a shot.

That 2023 1st which DL gave Memphis to acquire Conley is the exact opposite of how you want it. It puts us in a tough spot where we might be in the middle of a retool/rebuild by then and have do the tanking for Memphis. Just terrible setup and terrible foresight all around.

Personally I'd focus on building the best team possible 2-3 years down the line. That is when Mitchell will be peaking and also deciding on his next contract.

I'd be looking to move Bogey and Clarkson for younger players with more utility. Obviously these two are useful, but they are also one dimensional and I don't have hope for them expanding their games. I also feel like they both have a healthy perception around the league that will yield a decent amount of return value.

The players that I'd target are mostly second contract guys with warts, but also some room for improvement. Kuzma, Wiggins, Oubre, Josh Hart, Lonzo ect. I'm much higher on the latter two, but I like all of them going forward as two way players more than Bogey and Clarkson.

I think NOP is a great team to try and exploit this off season. They have some internal turmoil, their GM is on the hot seat, there is pressure to win now, they have players we can use, and they could use JC and Bogey.

It's not exciting, but if were to be able to flip JC and Bogey and come back with Kuzma, Hart, and maybe even some draft capital I'd feel a lot better about the direction this team is going. I don't think it's worth it to try to salvage something with the current group.

Its a risk for sure... might not have to go that light on protections. I think Williams is potentially a guy that could be a starter level combo forward for a good team. With Roby you pray he becomes something like Larry Nance. We need an injection of youth but can't start from square one. You are hoping to catch a guy on the upswing and buy before he hits big. Would be like stealing Mann last year before he took another leap.

The picks are scratchers but they have a chance to be good in the next couple years when we need them desperately.

I'd love to get a blue chip guy with that pick but that deal isn't happening (cost milwaukee 3 firsts and swaps to get a blue chip guy).

Lonzo doesn't do well in the halfcourt running the pick and roll... I just see that being a terrible fit on offense and we could get a similar impact or bigger impact elsewhere.

Quick not on Holmes in Sacramento... @Saint Cy of JFC might be interested in as we talked about them as a Favs destination. Kings only have early bird rights on him... so most they can offer is a deal starting at $11M unless they clear a bunch of cap space (possible but tough). So basically 4/51M... I think his market is likely above that if he bounces to Charlotte or NY... have heard his name with Dallas as well (doesn't make sense to me but I've heard it).

So they may be a reasonable Favs destination if Holmes market gets too hot.

Trading Bogey/Clarkson/Ingles into space for a pick is difficult IMO. Those are win now players, and teams who would want them and have cap space would probably like to explore their options first. Draft comes before FA.

Favors dump into space is more doable because it will likely be a bad team who doesn't care as much about their space.

Trading Bogey/Clarkson/Ingles into space for a pick is difficult IMO. Those are win now players, and teams who would want them and have cap space would probably like to explore their options first. Draft comes before FA.

Favors dump into space is more doable because it will likely be a bad team who doesn't care as much about their space.
I think NY is a little bit of an exception. They have so much space they could make a move and still do a max offer somewhere. In general yes though... its basically OKC or wait until FA.

Sarah Todd in her DN News article today says it is resign Conley or bust.
That's one of the reasons why I think we should do the Bojan for Kuzma for #22 deal if it's really out there.

If we don't bring back Conley, I think our main trade assets will lose value. I think it will happen because we will be seen as trying to sell them due to our situation. Once a team is trying to sell a player, that player seems to have less value unless that player is a superstar.

Sarah Todd in her DN News article today says it is resign Conley or bust.
If Conley re-signs that will be good, if he doesn't re-sign it might be okay that the FO, Smith, Wade, etc. get to take a long hard look at where they should actually go from here as far as roster build/contracts. Imagine having 4 full years on your stars contract before he has the leverage he truly needs to demand for a trade vs 3. But we had to hand out PO like they were candy. Probably will on Mike too. If Mike does re-sign and gets a PO instead of a TO, I will be even more insufferable than I have been.

If Conley re-signs that will be good, if he doesn't re-sign it might be okay that the FO, Smith, Wade, etc. get to take a long hard look at where they should actually go from here as far as roster build/contracts. Imagine having 4 full years on your stars contract before he has the leverage he truly needs to demand for a trade vs 3. But we had to hand out PO like they were candy. Probably will on Mike too. If Mike does re-sign and gets a PO instead of a TO, I will be even more insufferable than I have been.
I hope the new-ish front office is better at structuring deals. I actually think we could do a 3 year deal that gives $20M and 22M the first two years guaranteed and then a non-guaranteed 3rd year that gives him $5M if we waive him... a way to spread the money out a bit and get him a solid market value. But year it likely is a 3 year deal with a player option on the final year.

Also, if we can clear Favs salary and Conley walks for nothing (its likely a sign and trade)... then we would open up the full MLE. Maybe there is something solid we can find in a longer term option with that money.