What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

I'm going to keep posting this...

Defensively, the Jazz don't remember what it's like to have a legit help defender and not just Rudy trying to guard the whole floor.
Offensively, the Jazz don't remember what it's like to have a guy who can drive and finish at the rim, as well as knock down open shots.
Even one guy like Jerami Grant checks those boxes and changes the outlook of this team.

If that means taking Mike Conley or Bojan Bogdanovic off the floor to make space for that kind of player, you have to do it.

I'm going to keep posting this...

Defensively, the Jazz don't remember what it's like to have a legit help defender and not just Rudy trying to guard the whole floor.
Offensively, the Jazz don't remember what it's like to have a guy who can drive and finish at the rim, as well as knock down open shots.
Even one guy like Jerami Grant checks those boxes and changes the outlook of this team.

If that means taking Mike Conley or Bojan Bogdanovic off the floor to make space for that kind of player, you have to do it.
We had good defenders around Rudy 3 seasons ago and we flamed out in the first round. We replaced defenders with offensive talent and we got regular season better.

We haven't had players who are great at O and D, but we have tried both.

Rubio to Conley
Crowder to Bojan
Exum to Clarkson

The problem is that the most valuable player of that 6 is Crowder if you take into account his health, his contact and his contribution on both sides.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

We had good defenders around Rudy 3 seasons ago and we flamed out in the first round. We replaced defenders with offensive talent and we got regular season better.

Rubio to Conley
Crowder to Bojan
Exum to Clarkson

The problem is that the most valuable player of that 6 is Crowder if you take into account his health, his contact and his contribution on both sides.

The problem is that the Jazz crapped on Crowder after he was wanting to recruit in the off season. It was all for the greater good of acquiring Conley.

The problem is that the Jazz crapped on Crowder after he was wanting to recruit in the off season. It was all for the greater good of acquiring Conley.
I don't understand what you mean.

I think we could have found a way to include Favors instead of Crowder and we would have won a playoff series or two more had we done that.

Rubio to Conley
Crowder to Bojan
Exum to Clarkson

Taking into account everything, Clarkson is the most valuable.

Taking into account everything, Clarkson is the most valuable.
If we keep Conley, Clarkson is definitely trade asset #1. If Mr. Glass walks, I think I'd rather trade Bojan.

I don't know. That's tough. Clarkson seems 100% fine just coming off the bench. He's 3 years younger than Bojan, he's signed for longer and for cheaper. Neither play good defense.

Yeah, between Bojan and Clarkson I probably trade Bojan.

If we keep Conley, Clarkson is definitely trade asset #1. If Mr. Glass walks, I think I'd rather trade Bojan.

I don't know. That's tough. Clarkson seems 100% fine just coming off the bench. He's 3 years younger than Bojan, he's signed for longer and for cheaper. Neither play good defense.

Yeah, between Bojan and Clarkson I probably trade Bojan.
If you ask me, Clarkson should stay for anything short of a package for an All-Star. He can be counted on for instant offense no matter what the rest of the team looks like. he also has a good contract. Bojan, on the other hand, needs to get upgraded in the baddest way.

Lakers have said they need shooters
Trade Bojan for their #22 pick?
Can they afford his contract?

If you ask me, Clarkson should stay for anything short of a package for an All-Star. He can be counted on for instant offense no matter what the rest of the team looks like. he also has a good contract. Bojan, on the other hand, needs to get upgraded in the baddest way.
Clarkson is feast or famine though. And if he's on, great. If he's off, he provides nothing else.

But I do like him and he has a good contract. I just think his value is at an all time high. If we are going to add a high value perimeter defender, it will probably come from trading Clarkson.

Lakers have said they need shooters
Trade Bojan for their #22 pick?
Can they afford his contract?
I would consider Bojan and #30 for Kuzma and #22.

Lakers seem done with Kuzma. Seems like he could be a redemption story with us. Regardless, he's younger than Bojan and makes substantially less the next few years.

I don't love it, but it could work. Every young player that leaves LA gets better.

Clarkson is feast or famine though. And if he's on, great. If he's off, he provides nothing else.

But I do like him and he has a good contract. I just think his value is at an all time high. If we are going to add a high value perimeter defender, it will probably come from trading Clarkson.

True. If he's going, I only want him going for a massive upgrade. For who, I have no idea.

True. If he's going, I only want him going for a massive upgrade. For who, I have no idea.
I like the idea of Clarkson for Rozier because we need more defense and athleticism. Rozier can score too.

Rozier is in a contract year whereas Clarkson has that good long term deal. Maybe that's why Charlotte considers it.

Rubio to Conley
Crowder to Bojan
Exum to Clarkson

None of this addresses my point, which is that the Jazz need a 2-way wing with length who can play some help defense and drive on his own. That one player will change the outlook of this team. We're entirely too used to seeing dad-bod wings who mostly just spot up, or who can't drive the ball without a screen.

I like the idea of Clarkson for Rozier because we need more defense and athleticism. Rozier can score too.

Rozier is in a contract year whereas Clarkson has that good long term deal. Maybe that's why Charlotte considers it.

Now there's an idea I'd strongly consider. Still rather ship out Bogie but man if a Rozier/Mitchell back court doesn't sound great.

None of this addresses my point, which is that the Jazz need a 2-way wing with length who can play some help defense and drive on his own. That one player will change the outlook of this team. We're entirely too used to seeing dad-bod wings who mostly just spot up, or who can't drive the ball without a screen.
You said something about our team not remembering having good defenders. I think Rubio and Crowder were quite good.

They weren't two way, but like Zanik said, they are more rare than Rudy dribble penetrations supposedly.

You said something about our team not remembering having good defenders. I think Rubio and Crowder were quite good.

They weren't two way, but like Zanik said, they are more rare than Rudy dribble penetrations supposedly.

Oh, okay. But neither Rubio nor Crowder are big enough to be help defenders if Rudy has to rotate. What I mean is that when Rudy has to take a defensive assignment that moves him out of the paint, another help defender needs to be able to rotate over and protect the rim. The Jazz haven't had that since Derrick Favors played next to Rudy, and you'd have to go back to Andrei Kirilenko before that.

Oh, okay. But neither Rubio nor Crowder are big enough to be help defenders if Rudy has to rotate. What I mean is that when Rudy has to take a defensive assignment that moves him out of the paint, another help defender needs to be able to rotate over and protect the rim. The Jazz haven't had that since Derrick Favors played next to Rudy, and you'd have to go back to Andrei Kirilenko before that.
Ricky was a pretty good help defender... got a **** ton of deflections. He struggled laterally at times. Defensively he was a pretty good fit... offensively it was frustrating.

Ricky was a pretty good help defender... got a **** ton of deflections. He struggled laterally at times. Defensively he was a pretty good fit... offensively it was frustrating.
I don't think Rubio was much of a rim protector though. (Which he mentioned as a requirement in the post you quoted)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app