What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Alternatives for Conley + trade Favs :( + get forward that can play smallball big + get athletic wing/forward + wise draft night + get Patty Mills.
Try to keep Niang, keep Oni. If coach's not ok with Hughes, Doke try to use them on draft night (I'd try them instead but...)
That's it. Jazz brass got this offseason and next season to get it done.
Of course, life would be much easier if Rudy decides that may be he can TRY to finish plays when nobody is defeding him ;)

Cheaper alternative? Cheaper alternative? After we gave up what we gave up, we might just pass on bringing him back because of cost?

I'm starting to lose faith in our entire system.

Dude relax. A cheaper alternative could mean Lonzo.

Hahaha. I don't know. If Conley is getting $25, I would imagine Lonzo would get something similar.

I’ve laid it out before but essentially moving Favors for cap space and trading Clarkson or Bogey in a sign and trade for Lonzo would put us under the luxury tax completely. If it’s Bogey instead of Clarkson we could use the MLE and still be under the luxury tax completely too.

I’ve laid it out before but essentially moving Favors for cap space and trading Clarkson or Bogey in a sign and trade for Lonzo would put us under the luxury tax completely. If it’s Bogey instead of Clarkson we could use the MLE and still be under the luxury tax completely too.
Is this under the assumption that Conley just leaves?

If Conley leaves, I agree that we should try to get Lonzo, Collins, etc.

If we lose Conley for nothing and we can't pull out a trade for another quality young player, just trade Rudy. Why delay the inevitable? Just rip the band-aid. Get under the luxury, get younger. Get draft picks.

If all we have is minimum contracts, #30, and a MLE to build around Don, Rudy, Royce, JC, Joe and Bojan, we are going to be thinner than Keira Knightly.

I'd love to have him back on another contract, I just don't think that should be the expectation. I don't think Don cares too much about his legacy with the Jazz. It means something to Jazz fans but Don did not grow up a fan of the Jazz. He's not thinking about being the next DWill or where he ranks amongst Jazz greats, he's got his sights set on being the biggest star in the NBA. That just isn't gonna happen in UTA. When you weigh the pros and cons of cementing his Jazz legacy versus playing in a big market, I think it's kind of laughable that you would think that Don cares more about the Jazz legacy.

It doesn't have to be a nasty departure. He's given this franchise a ton and if we play our cards right he will also give the Jazz a ton when he leaves. Don is going to want to spend the prime of his career playing in a big city. I think it's best to understand the situation and be realistic about it.
Which is why I said "as a fan". And I actually think Donovan's image and story means a lot to him. Careers are a story, and no I don't think he just wants to erase this part of his story or disregard it. I actually think you've seen such an emotional response after the past 2 playoff exists because he would actually like to deliver a title here for part of his story/legacy and he knows he's running out of time to do that. As I said, as a fan, I would be really sad to see Donovan's career here in the end be nothing meaningful to him or the franchise.

If our team is trying to avoid the luxury completely, this could be how we do it:
2021 Luxury Tax Limit: $132.6

Rudy $35.3
Don $28.1
Bojan $18.7
Joe $13.1
Clarkson $12.4
Favors $9.7
Royce $8.8
Udoka $2.1
Oni $1.8
#30 $1.6
Hughes $1.5
TOTAL for 11 Players: $133.1

Trade Favors for no salary back:
10 Players: $123.4

Add 2 Minimum Contract Players:
12 Players: ~$127

Gives us about $5 million to play with to stay under the $132.6 million luxury line.
We could always look to trade Bojan or Clarkson for cheaper players then we could spend more in the MLE, BAE areas.

Honestly, if that's the goal, we are pretty lame.

If the Blazers are looking to shake things up, perhaps Roco can be shaken loose. Bogie for Roco + filler. No idea why the Blazers would do that. Their defense is bad enough as it is, but maybe we can somehow convince them that Dame needs help on offense. Roco would be perfect to combat opposing small ball lineups.

Murray (coming off injury or not), Porter, and a 2021 1st for
Dame and Roco/Powell

Who says no? Portland isn’t getting two really good players like that from anyone else I doubt.

Lillard
Powell
Barton
Gordon
Jokic

That’s a hell of a lineup.

If the Blazers are looking to shake things up, perhaps Roco can be shaken loose. Bogie for Roco + filler. No idea why the Blazers would do that. Their defense is bad enough as it is, but maybe we can somehow convince them that Dame needs help on offense. Roco would be perfect to combat opposing small ball lineups.
Portland has done everything to build around Dame but trade McCollum. I don't see much more they can do than that.

They have to keep Convington and Nurkic. They could have kept Trent but Powell is solid.

In many ways, they are in the same boat as us - they need a couple more two way players. I doubt McCollum could fetch an all star for next to Dame.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Portland has done everything to build around Dame but trade McCollum. I don't see much more they can do than that.

They have to keep Convington and Nurkic. They could have kept Trent but Powell is solid.

In many ways, they are in the same boat as us - they need a couple more two way players. I doubt McCollum could fetch an all star for next to Dame.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
To be honest, I never thought the Blazers roster was that bad. They could use some more defense, sure, but they made it to the WCF in 2019 and then were hit hard by Nurk’s injury and he hasn’t been the same when he came back. They added Roco to that 2019 team. If they’re fully healthy with Nurk at his pre injury level, they’re not much worse than we are.

To be honest, I never thought the Blazers roster was that bad. They could use some more defense, sure, but they made it to the WCF in 2019 and then were hit hard by Nurk’s injury and he hasn’t been the same when he came back. They added Roco to that 2019 team. If they’re fully healthy with Nurk at his pre injury level, they’re not much worse than we are.

They might be better. At least they made a WCF.

One wrong move this off-season and I could see us struggling to make the playoffs next year, either barely making them or barely missing them.