What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Which is why I said "as a fan". And I actually think Donovan's image and story means a lot to him. Careers are a story, and no I don't think he just wants to erase this part of his story or disregard it. I actually think you've seen such an emotional response after the past 2 playoff exists because he would actually like to deliver a title here for part of his story/legacy and he knows he's running out of time to do that. As I said, as a fan, I would be really sad to see Donovan's career here in the end be nothing meaningful to him or the franchise.

The truth is Donovan Mitchell doesn’t have much of a story in UTA. The Jazz were the best team all year and it didn’t matter. Someone like Kyle Kuzma has a bigger story than Mitchell. The Jazz are only relevant in UTA and essentially nothing outside of it. Even as title favorites there was more discussion about teams that were eliminated.

If he was playing in New York or LA his fame and relevancy would grow immensely as would his story as a player. It’s not comparable. He could win the title in UTA and that would not bring the same level of attention as he would get playing for the Knicks.

If Donovan cares about his story and legacy, which he very obviously does, UTA is one of the worst places in the league to do that.

The truth is Donovan Mitchell doesn’t have much of a story in UTA. The Jazz were the best team all year and it didn’t matter. Someone like Kyle Kuzma has a bigger story than Mitchell. The Jazz are only relevant in UTA and essentially nothing outside of it. Even as title favorites there was more discussion about teams that were eliminated.

If he was playing in New York or LA his fame and relevancy would grow immensely as would his story as a player. It’s not comparable. He could win the title in UTA and that would not bring the same level of attention as he would get playing for the Knicks.

If Donovan cares about his story and legacy, which he very obviously does, UTA is one of the worst places in the league to do that.
This is true to a certain extent.

What's also true is that he will never get too much respect playing with Rudy. Many will give Rudy credit and vice versa. Neither will be considered all time greats because they are polar opposites on the court and they can't get over the hump.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Don got a signature shoe, and a lot of endorsements and press over his 1st 4 years. This just isn't as true as it used to be. Lebrons title in Cleveland is the one that will matter the most when his career ends, it's also the most watched finals of his career as well, and it was in Cleveland Ohio. The Jazz story is tailing off a bit because they continue being a disappointment in the playoffs. I think Donovan will get a lot more MVP love this upcoming season if he can get his points closer to 30 a game and the team wins. You can be a star anywhere quite frankly. Giannis is doing it in Milwaukee but you absolutely do have to make noise in the playoffs to sustain it in a small market. So sure bad teams/average players can get more run in bigger markets but stars can be successful and fine anywhere so long as they are winning.

Don got a signature shoe, and a lot of endorsements and press over his 1st 4 years. This just isn't as true as it used to be. Lebrons title in Cleveland is the one that will matter the most when his career ends, it's also the most watched finals of his career as well, and it was in Cleveland Ohio. The Jazz story is tailing off a bit because they continue being a disappointment in the playoffs. I think Donovan will get a lot more MVP love this upcoming season if he can get his points closer to 30 a game and the team wins. You can be a star anywhere quite frankly. Giannis is doing it in Milwaukee but you absolutely do have to make noise in the playoffs to sustain it in a small market. So sure bad teams/average players can get more run in bigger markets but stars can be successful and fine anywhere so long as they are winning.
He's got to stay healthy. It seems by the end of a lot of the Jazz playoffs he is really beat up and injured.

He's got to stay healthy. It seems by the end of a lot of the Jazz playoffs he is really beat up and injured.
Yeah, I think he’ll be okay. After his rookie season he really dialed back the dunks and explosive stuff a lot. This year the ankle injury was a fluke, but his knees and legs have potential to be an issue for sure. I think Don will be affective until probably age 34-35, obviously with downward peak after about 31.

This is true to a certain extent.

What's also true is that he will never get too much respect playing with Rudy. Many will give Rudy credit and vice versa. Neither will be considered all time greats because they are polar opposites on the court and they can't get over the hump.

I would say that the thing limiting them from being considered all time greats is not because they play with each other, but that the are not close to being all time greats on their own. They don't get in the way of each other at all and I think Donovan benefits most from playing with a guy who's so universally hated in Rudy.

If Don was playing for the Knicks he'd have a top 3 selling jersey and wayyyy more attention on him. It's not comparable. I would agree that at some level players can transcend their market, but you've got to be an MVP level player like Giannis or KD. Mitchell isn't close to that level, and if he was, there's still no comparison between an MVP level player in UTA versus NY. It's not close.

This isn't Hayward where his personality seemed to fit the city. Don is as far on the other spectrum as you can get. He's a NYC local kid who starves for attention. I'm not saying there's anything wrong about that, but you have to acknowledge that Don is wayyyyyyy more NYC than he is SLC. Like I said, if you can't see that....idk what to tell you.

I don't really see SAC as a Favors destination. They weren't giving Whiteside minutes and I actually think he's a better player than Favors.

I don't really see SAC as a Favors destination. They weren't giving Whiteside minutes and I actually think he's a better player than Favors.
Well if there's an argument for Favors vs. Whiteside it's that Favors isn't a renowned knucklehead and I think the Kings should prioritize that at some point.

Locke seems to think that they might let Richaun Holmes go and then would be interested in Favors as their starting center.

Locke seems to think that they might let Richaun Holmes go and then would be interested in Favors as their starting center.
They are limited in how much they can give Holmes because they don’t have full bird rights. So it’s kinda out of their control… they are definitely on the short list of teams that should consider him.

Well if there's an argument for Favors vs. Whiteside it's that Favors isn't a renowned knucklehead and I think the Kings should prioritize that at some point.

The argument against Favors is that he stinks, like Whiteside. Can't see a team wanting to pay him $20M over the next two seasons.

He looks toast, but as a buyout candidate absolutely yes. Let him rehab and get all the load management that he wants and needs. If he's just a stanchion that hits threes and throws crisp passes he'd be useful.
If we trade Favors in a cash cutting move, I would be fine giving Love more than the minimum to come here. We aren't going to be able to compete with just the minimum. He would go to LA, Brooklyn or elsewhere for that.

His minimum is about $2 million. The BAE is $3.7. I would consider the full BAE for him. It's what we should have done for Batum.