What's new

Jazz Offseason Plan

Lauri for Bogey would be a good move for both teams.
I could see that making sense especially if Lauri is set to make less than Bogey. Chicago has the cap space to absorb more than they send out, and we need to shed some dollars if we are planning on taking in a S&T player.

Our bench would be weak
If we sign Conley it likely means we have to move Favs.

Ingles, Clarkson, and Dok? And we likely lose Niang. We also need a super duper 3-D guy

Last edited:
Our bench would be weak
If we sign Conley it likely means we have to move Favs.

Ingles, Clarkson, and Dok? And we likely lose Niang. We also need a super duper 3-D guy
Favs could be moved for a player that fills a different need… Delon Wright, Derrick Jones Jr. ( I think the same stuff makes this much more possible… brings in a stable vet at little to no big cost), Aminu (reclamation project and a small ball center type option at worst an expiring contract likely makes sense for Chicago if they lose Theis).

Is there any chance Otto Porter would sign a 1 year MLE deal with the Jazz in hopes to revitalize his career & get a big contract next offseason?

I think his market will be higher than the mini-MLE.
His injury issues are serious. I don't see him getting more than mini-MLE... maybe on a one year deal where the team gets a team option on a second year he gets normal MLE. It isn't just an injury he will get over... its a condition he needs to manage and I think he honestly might end up getting a medical retirement in the next couple years.

New Orleans probably won't match anything big Lonzo gets. They want Lowry. I don't think we have a great shot at him, but you never know.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
If this is their thinking, I think that would prompt the official start of Zion-watch.

What absolutely idiotic thinking.

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on OP jr. I just would rather go with Batum or Gay even though they are lower upside guys. Taxpayer MLE costs us like 6M in salary and 18-20M in tax... taking a flier on a guy is not a great option.

If this is their thinking, I think that would prompt the official start of Zion-watch.

What absolutely idiotic thinking.
Zion watch already started doe... rumors were his "family" wants him out of there. NO basketball may die with Zion. After the AD madness and then Zion... good luck getting that fanbase excited. Maybe they sell the team and relocate.

Griffin did well in the AD deal and some of the tear down... but then he muffed up a lot. The Adams acquisition and extension was dumb AF, Stan Van Gundy was such a ****** hire, taking Bledsoe instead of Hill in the Jrue deal. Nothing made any sense at all. Imagine if they just absorbed Horford and Hill instead of Adams and Bledsoe... their whole roster makes so much more sense and they'd have so much more flexibility capwise.

Zion watch already started doe... rumors were his "family" wants him out of there. NO basketball may die with Zion. After the AD madness and then Zion... good luck getting that fanbase excited. Maybe they sell the team and relocate.

Griffin did well in the AD deal and some of the tear down... but then he muffed up a lot. The Adams acquisition and extension was dumb AF, Stan Van Gundy was such a ****** hire, taking Bledsoe instead of Hill in the Jrue deal. Nothing made any sense at all. Imagine if they just absorbed Horford and Hill instead of Adams and Bledsoe... their whole roster makes so much more sense and they'd have so much more flexibility capwise.
I'm just saying, if there was any question before they might get rid of a dude that Zion has said he wants to keep (in addition to being on the same timeline, is a lob-god, and has come a light-year as a shooter/spacer) to get a dude that is teetering on the edge of falling off because of age (and has been now for years), there shouldn't be any left. Like, they should maybe just start low-key listening to offers on Zion right now if this is how desperate they are.

I would think that in all of the ways that basketball has improved since the dreck of the early Lebron years, teams would figure out that the way to build around a young superstar is to have a little patience in building a team around them that fits skill-wise AND age-wise.

Lastly, least-importantly, and most-tangentially; it is insane that Seattle doesn't have a team.

1626799491288.jpeg

A somewhat healthy OPJ would be a huge help. Load manage him throughout the regular season so he gets to the playoffs in good shape. He’s the type of player that would have helped a ton in the Clippers series. It’s a risk, but one I’m willing to take.

Yeah, Griffen has really made some bad decisions.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

So here is my overly complicated but should be simple deal...

Jazz trade #30 for 35/40 with NO when the amazing prospect I want doesn't fall to them. They trade #40/Favs for DJJ and a future second or two. Portland has no picks in this draft so this allows them to get a prospect this year... we reload with a couple extra seconds. Jones Jr. comes in and gets the Niang minutes and provides some stuff we may lack.

Sign Mike Muscala to a minimum deal. Use Udoka or Muscala as the backup 5 and see what it looks like.

Get the best available wing for BAE Bazemore, Gay, Batum... depending on who you get they can play the small ball 5 to experiment with those lineups DJJ would help that a bit.

We had the best record in the NBA mostly due to early health. We lost that luck battle towards the end and in the playoffs. I think if we are healthy in the regular season we coast to the #1 seed and have a much more healthy team. With Mitchell, Conley, and Gobert healthy I think we beat the Clippers. Against Phoenix I think its a tough matchup that could go either way. Despite the disappointment from choking in game 6, we were very close.

We should always make a trade that makes us better. If a good trade for better players or better fit players comes along, make it. I doubt that happens. But we should be aggressive and look at every option.

There is no way you trade Gobert unless there is something way bigger going on behind closed doors we dont know about. His impact is huge in the regular season and playoffs.

Beyond that we try to run it back and add in a decent player for our over the tax MLE, BAE, or whatever we have. Then we need to add as many vet min as we can and trade our pick for a vet. Give Snyder more options in the regular season and different looks come playoff time. Snyder also needs to pull starters earlier, which means he needs to trust the bench more.

Favors is included in the trade option for a better player. Do not dump him for nothing this year though. Our ownership will pay the tax this year and probably again if we make the finals or are really close in WCF. But he was really good this year and we need that type of player. For all the hate on him he was very good in the regular season and solid in the playoffs. He was better than Gobert for a decent amount of the Griz series. He played well early against Clippers before struggling like a lot of the team. But keep in mind in the playoffs Favors was our 4th best in PER, 2nd best defensive rating, and 3rd best net rating. He was our best offensive rebounder and his overall rebounding percentage was just barely behind Gobert and way above anyone else. He lead our team in block %. His W/S per 48 were only behind Gobert (#1) and Mitchell (Conley was also barely ahead but doesnt qualify.) We could possibly get someone cheaper for him but I doubt its a better player and there isnt something we can do with his money if he is dumped for nothing. That said if we can get a decent player that helps for him or we can package him with other players/pick to get a better player of course we should. I am worried about his health, I wish we actually knew what was going on.

I still like Oni despite the playoffs overwhelming him. I think he has tools to be a good 3 and D player. I think Niang is great as a towards the end of the bench rotation guy but we need different vet options than these two in the playoffs.

Personally I think the player we should look at trading first is Clarkson I think he had the lowest impact for his expectations in the playoffs. He was shooting really hot for awhile but he just isnt a good shooter or decision maker and hurts the bench more than he helps. But I do like his role of getting baskets when we are struggling. If we can trade him for a better wing defender and let Ingles run the bench more we are better off. The next one that could net us something is Bojan. But I think we are hard pressed to get a better player or even better fit.
I’m terrified to trade Clarkson for 2 reasons:

1- Prior to acquiring Clarkson, our bench scoring was downright awful and would most likely go right back to awful the second Clarkson is moved. To be a championship contender, you absolutely need consistent points off the bench and a guy who can catch fire at any given moment and go for 20+. This team has flaws, but I’m hoping we try to improve on those while being able to leave Clarkson alone. The very second he’s gone, we’re once again talking about where Utah’s bench scoring is going to come from.

2- The Donovan factor. It seems like we’ve already entered the realm of keeping one eye on Donovan as we make moves in order to meet his approval and keep him happy. Donovan loves JC and I think the initial trade for Clarkson along with his re-signing was viewed by Donovan as the Jazz doing what it takes to lessen his load and get him some help. Just like the Jazz are gonna struggle to find bench points if JC is dealt, Donovan is gonna feel the scoring load weigh heavier on his shoulders and I doubt he will view that as a positive.

Hopefully improvements can be made by finding an upgrade for Niang’s minutes and other possible deals that don’t include JC.