What's new

Jazz sign Justin James to second two-way

Watched James closely in two of his better game (vs. Memphis, vs. Utah). Aside from hot shooting, here's some of the things I saw.
  • No way he's 6-7. 6-6 is probably generous as well. He looks more like 6-5 (like Oni and Brantley, or so). Also thinner than either of them, and not particularly long. Seems more of a guard than a forward, but versatile enough to see some time in the front court.
  • Pretty good athlete; can get up there on occasion. Decent quickness.
  • Has legitimate skills as a pick & roll ball-handler, especially scoring but even passing. I suspect this was probably the number one thing that attracted the Jazz. With this skill, has actual scoring potential if he ever gets a consistent jumper. A bit like Ingles from a few years ago in this regard; I can't really see him creating his own jumpers, but if you use him as a P&R driver and a spot up shooter, there's some potential.
  • Defense was very hard to evaluate, since the Kings played these weird switching schemes (and were terrible as a whole). But he had some good defensive possessions when locked in man coverage. Not great, but some potential, I think. Guarded all over the floor. Against Memphis, would usually start on the point guard (Morant, Jones, Melton), but often ended up elsewhere by the end of the play. Against the Jazz, generally would start his assignments against forwards (Bogey, Ingles, Ersan, Brantley), but by the end of the game was more often starting off on on Forrest and Oni. Overall, I liked his defensive versatility. Probably needs to learn more defensive discipline; I suspect being in Jazz system will help.
Overall, I don't mind the Jazz using a 2-way on him. There might be something there; maybe not. But that's what 2-ways are for.

With James in the fold, I think I even like my trade idea from the other thread more: of trying to swap Oni for Ismail Wainright. James occupies more of the Oni/Hughes 2/3 track, and I think Wainright would give us more 3/4 versatility (and a legit physically strong player). Major thing that gives me pause is that, apart from centers, we don't have even an average rebounder for his position other than Royce, Gay, and possibly Forrest if Oni leaves. I don't think either James or Wainright would be particularly helpful there.

Last edited:
Watched James's time in two of his better game (vs. Memphis, vs. Utah). Aside from hot shooting, here's some of the things I saw.
  • No way he's 6-7. 6-6 is probably generous as well. He looks more like 6-5 (like Oni and Brantley, or so). Also thinner than either of them, and not particularly long. Seems more of a guard than a forward, but versatile enough to see some time in the front court.
  • Pretty good athlete; can get up there on occasion. Decent quickness.
  • Has legitimate skills as a pick & roll ball-handler, especially scoring but even passing. I suspect this was probably the number one thing that attracted the Jazz. With this skill, has actual scoring potential if he ever gets a consistent jumper. A bit like Ingles in this regard; I can't really see him creating his own jumpers, but if you use him as a P&R driver and a spot up shooter, there's some potential.
  • Defense was very hard to evaluate, since the Kings played these weird switching schemes (and were terrible as a whole). But he had some good defensive possessions when locked in man coverage. Not great, but some potential, I think. Guarded all over the floor. Against Memphis, would usually start on the point guard (Morant, Jones, Melton), but often ended up elsewhere by the end of the play. Against the Jazz, generally would start his assignments against forwards (Bogey, Ingles, Ersan, Brantley), but by the end of the game was more often starting off on on Forrest and Oni. Overall, I liked his defensive versatility. Probably needs to learn more defensive discipline; I suspect being in Jazz system will help.
Overall, I don't mind the Jazz using a 2-way on him. There might be something there; maybe not. But that's what 2-ways are for. With James in the fold, I think I even like my trade idea from the other thread more: of trying to swap Oni for Ismail Wainright. James occupies more of the Oni/Hughes 2/3 track, and I think Wainright would give us more 3/4 versatility (and a legit physically strong player).
Thanks for the breakdown.

On a positive note if he's been playing ball in Wyoming and Sacramento he might not hate Utah and think its a backwoods racist cesspool of inbreds like so many other players seem to think.

On a positive note if he's been playing ball in Wyoming and Sacramento he might not hate Utah and think its a backwoods racist cesspool of inbreds like so many other players seem to think.
James college team was bad and he had to do a lot of heavy lifting. He may have led the Mountain West Conference in scoring his senior year because he had to as Wyoming had little else on the team. MWC players have included Sam Merrill, Malachi Flynn, Justian Jessup, Chandler Hutchison, and a host of Nevada and UNLV players that inhabit the league currently.

James college team was bad and he had to do a lot of heavy lifting. He may have led the Mountain West Conference in scoring his senior year because he had to as Wyoming had little else on the team. MWC players have included Sam Merrill, Malachi Flynn, Justian Jessup, Chandler Hutchison, and a host of Nevada and UNLV players that inhabit the league currently.
I randomly have watched at least two games in Leramie while he was playing there, but somehow don't remember him at all. Admittedly, I'm not much of a scout.

I randomly have watched at least two games in Leramie while he was playing there, but somehow don't remember him at all. Admittedly, I'm not much of a scout.
I remember him vs. Boise State and he was a star at that level. I forgot that the legendary Stanton Kidd also inhabited that college league.

Watched 8 minutes of highlights from last season with Sacramento:

-His 3 has a strange windup and release
-He has some athletic ability to finish around the hoop with double clutches and dunks
-His right floater goes in on highlights

All in all how showed more talent than Morgan or Brantley. Oni seems to be faster.

-He has some athletic ability to finish around the hoop with double clutches and dunks

All in all how showed more talent than Morgan or Brantley. Oni seems to be faster.
What was his shooting percentages in the highlights you watched?

The Grizz waived two young players Carsen Edwards and Daniel Oturo both high second round picks is 2019 and 2020. There could be worse camp players. Just sayin'.

This is kinda what I think... Take a chance on a guy that is tweaking one skill away from being a functional NBA wing. He needs to speed up the release and make it a little more. If he doesn't do that he probably still hangs around the league a couple years. This is the right type of gamble/bet. If he or Oni develop a jumper then you've got a solid young wing to soak up some minutes.

It seems like this guy has a long way to go to even become Mr 90%- who everyone was happy to get rid of. I get that this is a better way to acquire a player like that, but it still seems like kind of a waste. I would have preferred to see the jazz address defense/athleticism on the wing.

You didn't have to say this part. Just saying "Utah" is the same thing.

It seems like this guy has a long way to go to even become Mr 90%- who everyone was happy to get rid of. I get that this is a better way to acquire a player like that, but it still seems like kind of a waste. I would have preferred to see the jazz address defense/athleticism on the wing.
RHJ signed with a team in Turkey so he was off the table.