What's new

Jazz vs Fakers, 8:30 PM MST 1-25-11 NBA TV

What else is new?

When it comes to the Lakers, Sloan is either a trained seal or a baby seal about to be clubbed: helpless and clueless.

If he does have a clue, that's grounds for being fired. We're talking Falcon and the Snowman treason here.

But honestly, there's an insanity with the way this team is run. At least against LA. How many games, how many years, and Sloan won't shift the gameplan to a noticeable or credible degree. It's clear that the Lakers' length, athleticism, and familiarity with Utah's offense makes that same basepoint a non-starter: over and over they break up passing lanes, overwhelm Utah's "bigs", and simply make a mockery, a funhouse mirror, out of the words "utah" and "execution".

They're hanging people up the road.

Get out and run. This has been shown as key to any type of chance against LA for quite awhile now. But Sloan has no interest, because it would imply something negative about the system and, thus, him.

As if being another coach's bitch says anything positive.

What else is new?

When it comes to the Lakers, Sloan is either a trained seal or a baby seal about to be clubbed: helpless and clueless.

If he does have a clue, that's grounds for being fired. We're talking Falcon and the Snowman treason here.

But honestly, there's an insanity with the way this team is run. At least against LA. How many games, how many years, and Sloan won't shift the gameplan to a noticeable or credible degree. It's clear that the Lakers' length, athleticism, and familiarity with Utah's offense makes that same basepoint a non-starter: over and over they break up passing lanes, overwhelm Utah's "bigs", and simply make a mockery, a funhouse mirror, out of the words "utah" and "execution".

They're hanging people up the road.

Get out and run. This has been shown as key to any type of chance against LA for quite awhile now. But Sloan has no interest, because it would imply something negative about the system and, thus, him.

As if being another coach's bitch says anything positive.

Fits that ubiquitous definition of insanity where one does the same thing ad nauseam while still expecting different results each time.

What a dreadful boxscore. I turned off the game before halftime thinking we'd at least make the final score respectable. Just a garbage team. Overhaul it and bring in Jeffy Vany Gundy for F's sake.

Enough with the Boozer nonsense. We were always destroyed by LA with him. Had Boozer been resigned, we would have lost by at least 40 with him sitting behind our bench in a suit.

Give it up Sloanfield.

The Lakers game is coming on in 20 mins here on AFN replay in Germany.
Can't wait to see us! No one spoil the ending for me.

Go Jazz!!

Ill tell you how bad it got at the bar last night...

The beginning of the game started with the usual banter among us opposing fans. Talking **** and stuff. Once the 2nd quarter started, the laker fans went quiet. None of them said anything. They were blown away at how bad the Jazz played. They just kept saying over and over, "Man." One of them went so far as to say they felt bad for the Jazz.

Did anyone see that cut to Sloan on the bench in the 4th? I could swear it looked like Sloan was shaking...not like he was angry but like he had alzheimers. I am not trying to troll. It was towards the end of the game. Could the Jazz front office and team be keeping this under wraps?

What a game.

Point proven:
Me: "You never bring anything new...all you ever post is how wrong people are about boozer or something else you predicted last summer."

Nice try moron, my post wasn't even about Boozer, it was about last years TEAM as a whole. I won't stop until some of the stubbron babies on the website admit defeat and give me the credit that I deserve.

Then your very NEXT post:
You are the same guy who COMPLAINED about Boozer....
You suck at life. Get over yourself and get back to the bulls board.

Bill Simmons said:
Just got back from the Lakers-Jazz game. I might have to shower to get Utah's stink off me. They are a bad body language quagmire.

Yep. Glad I didn't watch it and I've already given my tickets away for tonight's game. What an atrocity this team has become. Something has happened that has made this team give up and I hope it comes out soon. They have the look of a mutinous team rather than a team trying to figure **** out. The Lockout can't happen soon enough.

Yep. Glad I didn't watch it and I've already given my tickets away for tonight's game. What an atrocity this team has become. Something has happened that has made this team give up and I hope it comes out soon. They have the look of a mutinous team rather than a team trying to figure **** out. The Lockout can't happen soon enough.

I agree. There is something going on. Something that has yet to come out...if at all.

The game went actually better than I expected. We lost the fourth quarter by 1 and tied the third. I was really expecting 40 pts plus loss. I watched because #1 the Jazz are my team and #2 to see if anybody was going to care yet. I did notice some glimpses of payers caring/having confidence:
-The first 6 minutes
-Dwill after halftime
-Milsap and Miles
-Jefferson at times
-Jeremy Evans
-Hayward (about the same, which is decent enough for him)

I think they are close to rock bottom at this point. I think this slowly reverses and perhaps by mid february they will be at the point to start winning some games. I'm dead serious about that. Maybe a W can be smuggled away from minny or phoenix, but I am not holding my breath. This is the hardest mental battle of these guys' life. If they are able to overcome where they are now, they will be a scary good team and I stand by that.

IMHO there are maybe ten guys in the league that, if they were available by trade, have a chance to turn around this team. The whole situation would suck the life out of most players. A coach would have a better chance of bringing instant change, but it would be erratic because there would be so much to address and so much to learn for the players. I really don't think either of those options are the answer (at least for the current season unless we don't see any progress over the next month or two). It's just time to man up, and that will be a long journey from where we are now.

SOURCE

By Mike Bresnahan
January 25, 2011, 11:19 p.m.

Why even play these games?

The Utah Jazz arrives in Los Angeles, pulls into Staples Center, and loses to the Lakers, a ritual that's become increasingly predictable over the years, a laughable lump for an otherwise respectable franchise.

The Lakers won again on Tuesday, 120-91, beating the Jazz for a 17th consecutive time at Staples Center, a streak dating to January 2006 and including victories in three playoff series.

This one came with a twist. It looked like the Cleveland Cavaliers were wearing Utah jerseys, the Lakers' defensive effort most of the game reminiscent of their dominant performance two weeks ago against Cleveland.

In fact, reporters began rifling through record books when the Lakers took a 38-point lead, but Tuesday's final score wasn't close to the Lakers' 46-point drubbing of the Jazz in 2000.

It didn't diminish what took place on the court. Not in the least.

Utah plays the Lakers in L.A., Utah loses once again ... badly, this time.

"I'm always surprised here," Kobe Bryant said. "It's tough to beat a team like that by that kind of margin."

Bryant was incredibly efficient, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom took turns pounding the Jazz down low, and the Lakers shot a seamless 62% as a team.

"When you shoot that high a percentage, it's awful hard on a team," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said.

It was practically over by halftime, the Lakers holding a 66-38 lead while stepping all over some of the recent criticism about a defense that slipped up last week in Dallas.

The Jazz shot 32.6% in the first half, later pushing it to 41.9% for the game as the Lakers' defense finally rested in the fourth quarter.

Bryant had 21 points on seven-for-11 shooting and added six assists. He did not play in the fourth quarter. Gasol had 20 points on nine-for-13 shooting. Bynum had 19 points and 11 rebounds without playing in the fourth quarter.

The Lakers (33-13) led wire-to-wire for a league-best eighth time, and had assists on 34 of 44 baskets.

They didn't look like they needed to get younger.

"I went out and bought Omega-3s," Jackson said dryly when asked if the Lakers were spurred by talk of being too old.

There were plenty of highlight-worthy moments.

Odom had 17 points on seven-for-eight shooting, including a high-arc 11-footer as he fell out of bounds after being fouled by Francisco Elson in the fourth quarter. And Steve Blake continued a recent run of efficiency, totaling five points and four assists in the first half and also somehow beating 6-foot-9 Andrei Kirilenko on a jump ball in the second quarter.

Utah (27-18) has struggled recently, losing four consecutive games coming into Tuesday, including a listless 96-85 loss to Philadelphia on Saturday.

Jazz guard Deron Williams had 29 points and 12 assists in a 102-96 victory over the Lakers in November, but he was held to 17 points and eight assists Tuesday.

It didn't all go perfectly for the Lakers.

Shannon Brown missed a fastbreak dunk in the fourth quarter, the ball flying out of the hoop and bouncing out of bounds. It didn't matter. Bryant went over and hugged him. Bynum rubbed his head. There were even a few smiles from the coaching staff.

The Lakers play Friday against one of the NBA's worst teams, Sacramento, before Boston comes to town Sunday. If there are smiles from the Lakers in the fourth quarter of that one, it will be a sign of a season on the rise.

The game went actually better than I expected. We lost the fourth quarter by 1 and tied the third. I was really expecting 40 pts plus loss. I watched because #1 the Jazz are my team and #2 to see if anybody was going to care yet. I did notice some glimpses of payers caring/having confidence:
-The first 6 minutes
-Dwill after halftime
-Milsap and Miles
-Jefferson at times
-Jeremy Evans
-Hayward (about the same, which is decent enough for him)

I think they are close to rock bottom at this point. I think this slowly reverses and perhaps by mid february they will be at the point to start winning some games. I'm dead serious about that. Maybe a W can be smuggled away from minny or phoenix, but I am not holding my breath. This is the hardest mental battle of these guys' life. If they are able to overcome where they are now, they will be a scary good team and I stand by that.

IMHO there are maybe ten guys in the league that, if they were available by trade, have a chance to turn around this team. The whole situation would suck the life out of most players. A coach would have a better chance of bringing instant change, but it would be erratic because there would be so much to address and so much to learn for the players. I really don't think either of those options are the answer (at least for the current season unless we don't see any progress over the next month or two). It's just time to man up, and that will be a long journey from where we are now.

Were you watching Millsap on the defensive side. Barely put up any resistance.

For thsoe that got to see the local feed, what were Harpring and Boler saying about the game?