What's new

Jazz vs. Mavs in round one

When I was 14 I worked in a retirement home in the dining room as a server. There was one guy who only ordered the white and/or light colored stuff. Roast beef and brown gravy or turkey and yellow gravy, he'd get the turkey. Coffee, soda, or ... milk, he gets the milk. We have a special chocolate cake for dissert, nah, he'll have vanilla ice cream. Literally no exceptions ever at all. He was a jackass and he was a very frail. very pale, white haired guy. He and another guy there feuded all the time over everything but the other guy was really nice otherwise.

Random
images

You planned that meal? It feels more like a graze on stuff until you don't want dinner?
Its a eat at work meal. I made the brussell sprouts and chicken today before work and put it in tupperware. The carrots, string cheese, and aussie bites are what I have literally every night I work. The main course varies. Tonight? Chicken and brussell sprouts.

So, would losing to a Luka-less Dallas in the first round be enough to end this iteration of the Jazz?

I’d have to think you gotta go scorched earth on the roster at that point, right?

I’ve just gotten done reading most of this thread. I really enjoyed that MT Steve guy destroy LoPo trying to argue that Gobert wasn’t great in the OKC series or that the defense was good because the team defense was good, but let’s just ignore the fact that others were good because Gobert was there.

So, would losing to a Luka-less Dallas in the first round be enough to end this iteration of the Jazz?

I’d have to think you gotta go scorched earth on the roster at that point, right?

Absolutely. Rudy and or Donovan would be traded, as would Conley and Bogey. Quin would almost certainly be gone as well.

That's definitely not going to happen though. The Mavs just don't have a lot of talent outside of Luka...they have some nice role players, but nothing more. Like, Bogey's our fourth best player and he's probably better than Dallas's second-best player. The Mavs are toast without Luka.

Last edited:
And see, unfortunately I look at 2021 as the year where COVID really impacted seeding. I think the Jazz was inflated all around and are likely more in line with where they fell this season, which is pretty much exactly where they've been the last 20 years.
Sure, 2021's compact season and COVID issues impacted seeding, but I don't agree that the Jazz were over seeded. They had more injuries and a tougher schedule than the Suns for example, but still finished with a better record.

This year you could argue we are under seeded. We have the second highest point differential in the Western Conference and third highest point differential in the NBA. We're comfortably the number one offense in the NBA this year. If we had closed games at just an average success rate, we would be the 2nd or 3rd seed this year.

Now personally I wouldn't argue we are under seeded, because closing games is part of winning games and we've turned in to a team that really struggles down the stretch. We obviously have some fatal flaws to our team that can be exposed by the right team. I don't think this is the same as being over seeded.

I’ve just gotten done reading most of this thread. I really enjoyed that MT Steve guy destroy LoPo trying to argue that Gobert wasn’t great in the OKC series or that the defense was good because the team defense was good, but let’s just ignore the fact that others were good because Gobert was there.
Yeah, MT Steve made amazing points about how good we were on defense during that regular season with Rudy and how much we struggled without him. MT Steve made very relevant points considering we were talking about the playoffs......

I said Rudy played well, but that just wasn't good enough for MT Steve. If I don't kiss Rudy's ***, his panties bunch up.

Sure, 2021's compact season and COVID issues impacted seeding, but I don't agree that the Jazz were over seeded. They had more injuries and a tougher schedule than the Suns for example, but still finished with a better record.

This year you could argue we are under seeded. We have the second highest point differential in the Western Conference and third highest point differential in the NBA. We're comfortably the number one offense in the NBA this year. If we had closed games at just an average success rate, we would be the 2nd or 3rd seed this year.

Now personally I wouldn't argue we are under seeded, because closing games is part of winning games and we've turned in to a team that really struggles down the stretch. We obviously have some fatal flaws to our team that can be exposed by the right team. I don't think this is the same as being over seeded.

I think we've seen enough evidence from Utah over the last four-plus years to know 2021 was the anomaly - not 2022, where they finished pretty much with the same seed (give it take one spot) since getting back to the playoffs in 2017.

Yes.
Not happening though

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Are you talking about game 6 last year? The Clippers were without Kawhi, but PG played and scored like 30 points. Thats the difference between the Clippers and Mavs, even without Kawhi, they still had arguably a top 10 player in PG. The Mavs have some nice role players but they don't have enough talent without Luka to beat us. Another thing that hasn't been talked about enough, the Mavs are also without their third leading scorer Hardaway Jr. They just don't have enough firepower.
This Jazz team has lost to the least talented teams in the NBA, they are capable of anything.

Yes.
Not happening though

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
Unfortunately, I am basically certain this is correct. Did everyone forget the All-Star Game is gonna be here next year? If only for reasons of pride, the Jazz aren’t going to field a tanker (only the second time in franchise history IF they did it) the year they host the ASG.

Yeah, MT Steve made amazing points about how good we were on defense during that regular season with Rudy and how much we struggled without him. MT Steve made very relevant points considering we were talking about the playoffs......
I asked Lopo if he had any reason, any evidence whatsoever to justify why he believed that Gobert was a defensive superstar all regular season, to the point where with him we were a top 1 defense and without him a bottom 4 defense, and why that suddenly wasn't the case against OKC in the playoffs when OKC's paint scoring mysteriously died and their top 10 offense fell to bottom 3 against us.

He dodged the question.

I asked Lopo if he had any reason, any evidence whatsoever to justify why he believed that Gobert was a defensive superstar all regular season, to the point where with him we were a top 1 defense and without him a bottom 4 defense, and why that suddenly wasn't the case against OKC in the playoffs when OKC's paint scoring mysteriously died and their top 10 offense fell to bottom 3 against us.

He dodged the question.
-but what about something something and
-at least he’s “objective” and “doesn’t attack our own players”

I think Mitchell is going to average his playoff average of 33+ pts. Whether he's efficient is another question.
I think Gobert and Whiteside are going to combine for ~30/25 most nights.
I think Clarkson and Bogdanovic should combine for 35 pts. most nights.
Conley will play significant minutes on a longer leash and probably put up 15 pts.
Then Royce, House, Hernangomez/Gay, and Butler can fill in another dozen points.
A couple of our guys will probably have a bad game on any given night, and the Jazz might score 114 pts or so, which is their season average.

But I just don't see how the Mavs without Luka are going to finish within 10 points of the Jazz unless the game is a pretty significant outlier.
I hope I'm wrong, but after watching this team blow so many double digit 4th qtr and 20+ second half leads, I'm not confident they won't continue to choke down the stretch.