What's new

Jazz vs. Mavs in round one

I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, but it should be really good. Looks like Tony and Andy cover a lot of topics.

View: https://twitter.com/ESPN700/status/1515091599973179392

Tony says a bunch of homer nothing ****. Except that he's certain that "the Jazz don't want to trade Donovan" but he's less certain that Rudy will be back. Sounded like he was choosing his words carefully.

Andy says that he thinks there is serious weight to the notion that Quin is looking to maybe get out. Noted that when he asked Quin on and off the record about him leaving that Quin never once even denied or downplayed the rumor. Didn't even give a "I look forward to coaching the team moving forward." kind of answer, just talked about how the chatter was inappropriate and that not signing the extension in this context is real smoke. Tony said it's nothing (somehow?).

Tony is confident that the Jazz will try to run it back short of a catastrophic collapse, Andy is confident that Ainge will try to nuke the build if they lose in the first round (and it will be a matter if Ryan buys his arguments).

Tony says a bunch of homer nothing ****. Except that he's certain that "the Jazz don't want to trade Donovan" but he's less certain that Rudy will be back. Sounded like he was choosing his words carefully.

Andy says that he thinks there is serious weight to the notion that Quin is looking to maybe get out. Noted that when he asked Quin on and off the record about him leaving that Quin never once even denied or downplayed the rumor. Didn't even give a "I look forward to coaching the team moving forward." kind of answer, just talked about how the chatter was inappropriate and that not signing the extension in this context is real smoke. Tony said it's nothing (somehow?).

Tony is confident that the Jazz will try to run it back short of a catastrophic collapse, Andy is confident that Ainge will try to nuke the build if they lose in the first round (and it will be a matter if Ryan buys his arguments).
I hate that Ainge is part of the Jazz. I hate it really really bad.

I hate that Ainge is part of the Jazz. I hate it really really bad.
I think he's a scum-****, but the worst part is that his work has sucked terribly since the 2017 draft. Like so bad that the curse thing almost looks merited.

You can't both be a cutthroat ******* with a bad reputation AND bad at your job. You gotta be either good at your job or have a good rep.

I think he's a scum-****, but the worst part is that his work has sucked terribly since the 2017 draft. Like so bad that the curse thing almost looks merited.

You can't both be a cutthroat ******* with a bad reputation AND bad at your job. You gotta be either good at your job or have a good rep.
It’s weird we seemingly coaxed him out of retirement to be our part time GM. Super excited for Doc Rivers to half heartedly coach our team next year.

If we don't choke leads and finish the failures of this season will be forgotten. We must rewrite our identity one game at a time.

Actually a complete lie and easy to fact check. He was easily one of better players in the postseason last year.
Honestly I think he’s only had one rough playoff run his career. Just off memory I think the Houston year where everyone sucked. He may have a little lower usage but he was a playoff hero many times over.

I found it interesting that Dallas has been in the top teams in clutch winning this season. I remember them struggling with it a year before. Is it just a fluke or something really changed for them?

Here it is more zoomed in. Maybe he goes in Game 3, but that might be rushing things. He needs to do real running and cutting, and he needs to be cleared for contact. I think the Mavs would probably like to hold him out until Game 4 if the Mavs win Game 2. If the Jazz win Game 2, then that puts the Mavs in a really tough situation. I think the Jazz would win Game 3 at home even if Luka plays.

View: https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/1515742323770015749

Last edited:
I think the Jazz are more athletic and have more options but they don't seem to be as consistent shooters as in the past. They certainly have had trouble holding onto leads. They blew an 11 point lead in Dallas but managed to hang on. It was a nice ugly win but in the playoffs all you want to do is win and move on. Look what happened to Memphis, they looked like contenders all year and they laid a big egg on their home court. Now Minnesota looks tough to beat.

I think the Jazz are more athletic and have more options but they don't seem to be as consistent shooters as in the past. They certainly have had trouble holding onto leads. They blew an 11 point lead in Dallas but managed to hang on. It was a nice ugly win but in the playoffs all you want to do is win and move on. Look what happened to Memphis, they looked like contenders all year and they laid a big egg on their home court. Now Minnesota looks tough to beat.

The Jazz's shooters of the past, like Ingles and Niang, could be neutralized by switching defense that stifles the Jazz's ball movement. Those guys both had a bad series against the Clippers once the Clippers went small. That's what the Jazz have been contending with.

In the playoffs, it's hard to get a read after just one game. Plenty of series where one team looks lost in game one and then come out and win the series going away. I anticipate Memphis does just that.

Jazz had never played against that Dallas team before. Quin is famous for using Game 1 to feel a series out, test rotations and tighten the game plan going forward. It's great that the Jazz got a win in Game 1, because they'll be more focused and confident for the rest of the series.