What's new

Jazz vs Raptors | Wednesday November 3rd @ 6pm

The back end of the first b2b of the season.

Are we deciding the Phoenix game (and Nuggets game for that matter) simply didn't exist? :D

Also, the Clips will be on a b2b as well, after playing at Denver. Hopefully we aren't the only ones who are tired.

What happened to Hayward?

What's going on with our bench?

Price isn't going to nail 3's very often and CJ isn't usually going to be red hot either... Hayward needs to play a bigger role and Evans needs to get healthy fast. Fess, stop partying.
Easy on Fesenko. It was 3 for $1.09 night at del Taco Tuesday . . .

I dont know why everyone is suddenly concerned about the bench. We never had much of a bench to begin with. And until Okur gets back, the bench is going to be mediocre.The starters have to get it done, while developing some chemistry in the process. Bench is filled with non-shooters(Price, Watson), rookies(Hayward, Evans) and newcomers(Elson) who don't look comfortable yet. If Miles is up and down so will the bench.

Good win for the Jazz after nearly imploding in the 3rd quarter. I agree with others that the last two games are step forward, but we've still got a long way to go to contend for a playoff spot lock.

Hayward doesn't worry me. I think Sloan is actually doing him a service with giving him some time but not letting stay out there too much. I like this kid, but I don't see him contributing much this year. In that sense he's a typical Sloan rookie (as opposed to Matthews). CJ won't have that many games where he's so uncontested out at the 3, but these are good confidence builders for the kid. His defense still need some improvement, but I saw flashes last night. Watson/Price seem about as consistent as we've had at back up point. Maybe one in five nights one of them will rise to the occasion, otherwise it'll probably be a 'get-what-we-can' scenario while Deron recharges on the bench.

The biggest concern for me is where I thought we'd actually improved after the off-season: Center. Elson can hit from about 15 feet away, but another player has to hand him the ball instead of passing it. Big Al and Memo can both catch a difficult pass. Elson and Fess couldn't catch herpes from Paris Hilton. I suppose I can live with their numb hands as Fes only gets his number called on plays infrequently (compounded by his lack of PT this makes it like one play every 3 weeks or so), but I've been disappointed in the defense of all 3 centers. Where are the blocked shots? Where are the rotations in the paint?

SOURCE

Postgame notes and quotes: 'I'm learning D-Will'

Published on Nov 3, 2010 11:27PM 0 Comments

Postgame notes and quotes following the Jazz's 125-108 home victory over the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday.

Deron Williams on Al Jefferson: "He had the one in the first half where I gave him a layup and he decided to shoot a 20-foot jumper. We let him know about that one. [Laughs] But other than that, he's getting it. He'll talk to you out there on the court once he does something good. 'I'm learning, D-Will.' He's great to work with, man. Because he knows he can improve just like the rest of us. We all know we can improve. We can get better."

Defensive turnaround: "A lot of it [is communication]. Realizing that we had to do a better job. We talked about some things in practice and worked on some pick-and-roll defense, which still can get better. But the effort's there. We're helping a little bit more. We're still making mistakes. But as long as we're playing through those mistakes, we're fine."

Potential new weapons: "That's what we expected the first two games. It just didn't click; just didn't happen right away. So, we've still got a long season and a lot of games to play. We're going to have some rough patches and some great patches."

Ronnie Price: " … Sometimes I gamble and it gets me in trouble sometimes. But that's kind of what I bring when I'm on the floor. I try to make some things happen defensively; play in the passing lanes a little bit; and maybe take some risks — things that you're not supposed to take. Sloan knows and he gets on me about it constantly. But sometimes I can see a play and try to make one happen. Sometimes it goes my way, sometimes it doesn't."

Price and Earl Watson's roles were reversed tonight, with Price receiving the main back-up minutes and Watson playing just 6:47. Price and Miles keyed a fourth-quarter stand during which the Jazz outscored Toronto 125-108.

Utah hit 88 percent (22 of 25) of its foul shots.

The Jazz held a 2.1 turnover-to-assist ratio, dishing out 30 while committing 14 turnovers.

Paul Millsap: "I'm in a positive attitude right now, hoping everything will be all right in the morning."

Playing Friday: "Absolutely. I'll be ready to go in practice [Thursday]."

All of Utah's starters save for Raja Bell shot at least 50 percent from the field, while six Jazz players hit double figures in scoring.

Jerry Sloan on Price: "Ronnie's got a big heart and he plays hard every day. He works hard every day. We're trying to settle in and see who we are, so we can try to play whoever we think will give us the best chance to win. He hadn't played for a little bit. But I thought he handled himself well. Had a couple big plays for us."

— Brian T. Smith