What's new

Jazz @ Warriors | Friday November 5th @ 8:30pm

I don't get this whining about inability to stretch the floor. In fact GSW didn't leave anyone open at the arc. They rotated very well on defense. Jazz ball movement was god awful - this is why they both managed to clog the lane and bother shooters as well. All the CJ-Korver dispute is irrelevant.

SOURCE

Postgame notes and quotes: Jazz-Warriors — 'It kind of went downhill from there'

Published on Nov 6, 2010 12:23AM 0 Comments

Postgame quotes and notes following the Jazz's 85-78 road loss to Golden State on Friday at Oracle Arena.

Utah coach Jerry Sloan: "You have to give them credit. They went after us right away and tried to force us out as much as they could. … They've got some guys that are awfully tough to cover. And they pick and roll with them; they do a great job at getting them open shots. They run the plays they have to to get decent shots and they made them."

On Stephen Curry: "He made some shots; he made the free throws. They came down the stretch and everybody knows who he is. He's not a secret. He's a terrific young player."

"You know, we were still there in the ball game, we just couldn't get anything to go down. Their defense was good and they were tough."

On turnovers, poor rebounding: "It's awfully tough to win on the road when these things happen."

Paul Millsap on Curry: "A good player is going to get going."

Deron Williams on playing well and holding Golden State to 85 points but still losing: "Look at the stats. Twenty-one offensive rebounds on the road. It's tough to win when those things happen."

Williams' midsection was heavily wrapped after the game. He said he is dealing with back spasms but will be fine.

On the loss: "They came out and played hard, especially on the defensive end. They had 21 offensive rebounds and it's tough to win when a team gets that. We had 19 turnovers; I had eight. It's tough to win when we do that. We both shot badly from the field, but what made up for that was the hustle plays — they outhustled us tonight. They made the plays. We got back in the game. We fought to get it tied. And then it kind of went downhill from there."

On moving forward: "We just have to get a win tomorrow. We keep saying that it's not going to come overnight. We're going to have good stretches and some bad stretches. Tonight was just a bad game. It's frustrating because I feel I should be playing better. And if I play better, the team plays better. I just need to do a better job."

Williams, Millsap and Ronnie Price stared straight ahead while sitting at their lockers during the postage interview session. Williams was down and frustrated, but credited the Jazz for largely executing their game plan and holding Golden State in check.

Al Jefferson: "It's always disappointing to lose. We had our chances the whole game. We just needed that one stop or that one shot to go in for us, and maybe the game would have turned out differently for us."

On getting outrebounded: "They do a great job getting to the basket. They forced us to get out and help on their penetration. That opens up opportunities for them. They're a great combination for them at the four and five, and they're both great offensive rebounders, so it was rough."

The last time the Jazz allowed an opposing player to grab 20 rebounds was Paul Gasol on Dec. 12, 2009.

Millsap recorded his third double-double of the season and Al Jefferson collected his second.

Monta Ellis had a career high seven steals.

The Jazz were outscored 26-8 in second-chance points and 46-32 in the paint.

Utah was outscored in every quarter but the second, when the teams each scored 23 points. The Jazz scored 23 points or less during each period.

Utah held Golden State to 37.6 percent (35 of 93) from the field and 14.3 percent (2 of 14) behind the 3-point line. The Warriors also shot just 59.1 percent (13 of 22) from the free throw line. And the Jazz still lost.

Solid games from Williams, Millsap, Jefferson and C.J. Miles. But no other Utah player recorded more than seven points, while Ronnie Price, Raja Bell and Andrei Kirilenko combined to shoot 4 of 18.

Zero minutes for Kyrylo Fesenko, who is recovering from gastric distress.

Zero points and three rebounds for Earl Watson in 9:48. He did not attempt a shot.

Bell slapped hands with several Warriors during an early timeout.

— Brian T. Smith

Long time lurker. Went to the game tonight, and was wearing a Utes hat. Someone came up to me after the game an Said something about TCU. Any of you by chance? Also other than getting owned on the boards I think the problem was chemistry. I've never been to a live game where it was so apparent that the offense was breaking down play after play. Not sure what it seemed like on tv, but everyone seemed a step slow and I think this was more due to thinking about the offense than actual athleticism. That's just me.

AJ and Millsap abused on boards. The Jazz did not defend well. Do not let the low score mislead you. GSW missed so many wide open shots. Offensive struggles are no longer excuses for this team. They executed great in their wins over Toronto and OKC. Why not against a much lesser team, GSW. I think because the Jazz escaped from hard work and take too many contested or uncontested midrange J's. David Lee is not a big threat and Biedrins should be a easy task for so-called post beast AJ. Totally disappointing. CJ feels like being the guy coming off the bench gives him the opportunity and right to be JR Smith 2.0 . He has the talent right there but his selections, his consistency, effort and assertiveness is always a question mark. He has to prove that he has improved not only in his physical conditioning but also his mental approach to the game.

Deron Williams is totally out of shape and rhythm. He has to take over this kind of games but his shot and his explosiveness are just not there sometimes. His threes somehow? do not fall. Then work on it. We will surely lose to Clippers, who have a promising frontcourt, if this sloppy and uncaring performance is sustained.

Al Jefferson will put 2 moves on a guy and if he doesn't go for either one you can almost hear him say "oh crap what do I do know?" This probably stems from years of playing with scrubs that he didn't trust; but he needs to learn how to do something with the ball if the shot isn't there.

People are killing Jefferson and Millsap for getting abused on the boards but I blame Utah's perimeter defenders for not getting in front of their man. I distinctly remember AK coming in after a LONG rest and then immediately let his man just blow by him on a dribble penetration. As a result Jefferson and Millsap were out of position all night. I give Millsap a pass anyway because he was obviously playing hurt.

I'm starting to remember why I wasn't excited as everyone else when The Jazz re-signed Bell - for every foul the guy draws on the defensive end he commits one dumb foul on the offensive end.

Hayward looks as tight as he did in the first pre-season game. And if he's waiting for any type of affirmation from that crotchety douche D-Will then he's in for a long rookie season.

Reading DWill's comments and that he might be having back pain issues that makes me feel a bit better about his performance last night but if he only got credited for 8TO's he knows he's responsible for at least 6 more. Nobody played well last night, Sap and AJ got rebounds but they didn't box out and keep there man from rebounds but even if they did the Jazz weren't hustling and probably would've lost the rebound anyway.
I'm wondering if the Jazz need to bring back one of the preseason swingmen to breathe some life and competitive energy to the Jazz guards but I'm not foolish enough to think they'd actually contribute much if at all.

Man I'm disappointed with AK last night as well considering he usually plays well against GS, he wasn't horrible defensively that I saw he had a few break downs but looked to have a little energy on defense but he was invisible offensively.

How everyone thinks Williams is better than Paul is beyond me. The difference? Paul can take over a game and knows it.

BLASPHAME !!!!

Seriously, I doubt you will hear that talk for a few weeks as Pauls Hornets just beat Miami and are 5-0. Funny with all thier new players I thought it would take more time for the hornets to figure out thier chemistry.

This bi-polar **** everyone goes through every game is getting so old. Let's just agree that the Jazz are worse than Hitler when they lose, and the best team to ever touch a basketball when they win. There, no need to bitch and whine one day and then celebrate them as championship contenders the next. Team lose, GET OVER IT.

Jazz will be fine.

How everyone thinks Williams is better than Paul is beyond me. The difference? Paul can take over a game and knows it.
Well, D-Will has been known to take over a few games himself--sometimes leading to victory, sometimes to disaster.

It is comforting (to us, not him) that he might have had back problems. (In such a case, I would play Watson a few more minutes--e.g., 15 instead of the 10 he got. EW isn't scoring, but he wasn't hurting us out there.)

This bi-polar **** everyone goes through every game is getting so old. Let's just agree that the Jazz are worse than Hitler when they lose, and the best team to ever touch a basketball when they win. There, no need to bitch and whine one day and then celebrate them as championship contenders the next. Team lose, GET OVER IT.

Jazz will be fine.

Assuming we want to be a great team and realize the importance of home court advantage in the post-season, and that by now we have enough talented players and regular and post-season experience to be and realize such or at least be better than a team that gets their asses handed to them by the Lakers every year, this team shouldn't be losing a home game to Phoenix nor a road game to the Dubs within the first five games of the year. Obviously it takes time to become a cohesive unit with so many new faces, but if this winning two games, losing one, winning one, losing one continues throughout the year en route to another ho hum 47-53 win season, I'm going to throw up. Then what? Oh, next year we'll be much better because Jefferson will have another year in the system? And Hayward will be a year more mature? Great, except AK and Fes may be gone and Raja wiil be one year closer to his AARP membership card. I'm sorry but the time is now. It should always be now and unless Deron truly takes the team into his own hands, his career's going to be over before he knows it and it'll be one of what could have been.

To quote Vincent in Collateral. "Someday? Someday my dream will come? One night you will wake up and discover it never happened. It's all turned around on you. It never will. Suddenly you are old. Didn't happen, and it never will, because you were never going to do it anyway." This is Deron and the Jazz to me. He thinks he's great but he lacks the true dedication (see his physique) and mental component (see leadership skills or lack thereof and inconsistency) to be truly great. Hey, not everyone has that drive. I get it. But let's not feign what he is. A very, very good point guard and nothing more. Until he decides to prove it by bringing a killer mindset every night, determined to win every game, and nothing less. Yeah, it's a team sport, I get it, but players are going to follow him if he chooses to step the **** up. I want progress, not the same thing from him every ****ing year. It's a broken record whose outcome is obvious and sad.

Awful game. Like, an awful basketball game. Jazz were awful, too. But we're going to see some of these until they get in sync. I figured we could always beat Golden State while we work out the kinks, but I figured wrong. We'll crush the Clips tonight so that will feel good.

Immediately after this photo was taken, Fesenko took out a restraining order.

40157_669406596677_2605940_37598877_6641656_n.jpg

Big thanks to go4jazz for making this happen.

wow, that was an epic loss wan't it? I did, however, make a fool of myself by yelling "hey! that's Sirkickyassl" immediately after he came up on the screen.

Last edited: