What's new

Jazzfanz Bookclub

I read the first 7 books of the Wheel of Time series a couple of decades ago (that's all there was) and I've never finished the series. Since I remember only some of it, I need to start over. The conversations here have inspired me to do that.

That would be the worst decision in your life. After the last one I got fed up enough to throw the trash out. Nothing happened. NOTHING! An entire book of nothing, no climax, no anything worth while. I've never read or tasted anything more bland and I wish I gave it up after the first couple of books.

I'm baffled that something this bad has gotten so popular.

926__240x_the-savage-detectives-arc_-front_-cover_.jpg

I enjoyed this book. I assume it would be worthwhile to read in its native language(Spanish) Vinylone.

That would be the worst decision in your life. After the last one I got fed up enough to throw the trash out. Nothing happened. NOTHING! An entire book of nothing, no climax, no anything worth while. I've never read or tasted anything more bland and I wish I gave it up after the first couple of books.

It gets worse. I'm on book 11, and the last 4 books can be compressed into a pamphlet. I'm viewing it as an endurance contest at this point.

It gets worse. I'm on book 11, and the last 4 books can be compressed into a pamphlet. I'm viewing it as an endurance contest at this point.

You're a machine. I was ahead of you the last time this came up and now only maybe listening to book 9. I'm giving up if it's as bad as you say it is.

Agreed.
I hated wheel of time

Lol. That's how it got with me. I kept trying to continue the story.
I believe I gave up on book 8. Everything was so predictable and "inside the box" as far as how they portrayed male characteristics and female characteristics or good guys vs bad guys.
Very vanilla

This thread turns around to Wheel of Time.

Jordan his weaknesses but he is a great writer, world-builder and he will remain one of my favorite authors.

Jordan his weaknesses but he is a great writer, world-builder and he will remain one of my favorite authors.
I did think he built a great world. And has good ideas/concepts for his wheel of time story. It's just too bad his characters were so vanilla, predictable, and one dimensional.

I'll give you the worldbuilding. WoT got the richest world I've seen in fiction. Other than that, he's terrible. For example, discovering the black sisters in the White Tower is one of the most compelling storylines in the books, and it's dealt with quickly in a few pages. That's followed by 200 pages of tedious discussion of the port access deal with the sea folks that can skipped without missing out on anything. Additionally, the length of the books can be cut in half just by removing "women be like this, men be like that" nonsense that you see ten times per page. And I agree with fish's points as well. Just terrible.

Am I the only one that isn't interested by Stephen King?

Anyways. I really enjoyed the Harry Dresden series. It's corny and fun. Jeffrey Archer is one of my favorite authors, but his new series (the Clifton Chronicles I think) I'm not too fond of. I need more books like those. Suggestions?

Am I the only one that isn't interested by Stephen King?
No
He isn't for everyone. I hear a lot of people don't like him. He is my favorite though.

Lots of people like dean koonz. I hate him

I stopped reading the WoT half way through book 7. Finishing that series is such a daunting task. I'll probably come back around to it at some point, but I've heard horror stories about how dull the next several books in the series are (I know people who have read the entire series multiple times and even they say that they skip book 10 when rereading it).

I've heard that Brandon Sanderson does a good job finishing it up though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk