What's new

Jazzfanz Bookclub

Just read Between Riverside and Crazy. I rarely read plays, but this one was highly recommended by someone whose opinions I value. I thought it was a fun black comedy and a very quick read.

Recommended.

as in Riverside, CA?

[MENTION=249]NAOS[/MENTION] have you ever read The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt? It is probably my favorite book, and I think you'd enjoy it.

Disclaimer: I am recommending this book specifically for NAOS. It is not everyone's cup of tea.

Just learned Alan Moore is finally almost done with his Jerusalem. Trying to decide if I want to make my way through that one when it comes out or not...

I can personally relate to the decision to put off Infinite Jest. It's a big undertaking. But do yourself a favor and rocket Oblivion to near the top of your queue. You definitely get a mature David Foster Wallace in that collection. And then just go ahead and try NOT to read Infinite Jest. heh.

I hadn't realized that Infinite Jest is more than 1000 pages in paperback. That is an undertaking. Yes, I'll start with Oblivion.

[MENTION=249]NAOS[/MENTION] have you ever read The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt? It is probably my favorite book, and I think you'd enjoy it.

Disclaimer: I am recommending this book specifically for NAOS. It is not everyone's cup of tea.

It's been recommended to me, but I haven't read it. I'll put it higher on teh list. I know people rave about DeWitt.

**** you then

I mean, people around here think Dalamon is radical and GoT sex scenes make them uncomfortable. I'd like to see their reaction to a TRUE independent thinker.

Seriously, give it a try though. I'd like to hear what you think given that you're fairly open minded. It is specially relevant to you since you're having a kid soon.

I mean, people around here think Dalamon is radical and GoT sex scenes make them uncomfortable. I'd like to see their reaction to a TRUE independent thinker.

Seriously, give it a try though. I'd like to hear what you think given that you're fairly open minded. It is specially relevant to you since you're having a kid soon.
Is the Tom cruise movie based off the book?

Is the Tom cruise movie based off the book?

No. It is about the connection between knowledge and intellect, the moral right to suicide, and the necessity of granting children the full spectrum of human rights.

No. It is about the connection between knowledge and intellect, the moral right to suicide, and the necessity of granting children the full spectrum of human rights.
Sounds like it touches on a lot of the conversations we have from time to time in the general discussion forum.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20342617-just-mercy

JUST MERCY by BRYAN STEVENSON

A powerful true story about the potential for mercy to redeem us, and a clarion call to fix our broken system of justice—from one of the most brilliant and influential lawyers of our time.

Bryan Stevenson was a young lawyer when he founded the Equal Justice Initiative, a legal practice dedicated to defending those most desperate and in need: the poor, the wrongly condemned, and women and children trapped in the farthest reaches of our criminal justice system.

AN EXCELLENT BOOK

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through, but I think it's a "must read"
It's for my book group, it'll be interesting to hear what everyone says when we meet on Thursday

My own perspective tends to be fairly hard-nosed on issues of crime and punishment, but this book is an eye-opener.