What's new

Jazzfanz Bookclub

I stopped reading the WoT half way through book 7. Finishing that series is such a daunting task. I'll probably come back around to it at some point, but I've heard horror stories about how dull the next several books in the series are (I know people who have read the entire series multiple times and even they say that they skip book 10 when rereading it).

I've heard that Brandon Sanderson does a good job finishing it up though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Book 10 is my favorite among the middle books.
It has the cleansing of the male half of the power!
11 is so far the worst.

Any Cormac McCarthy fans here?

The Road is one of the greatest books I've ever read. Amazing!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app

Whatever you do, at all costs, avoid Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending. I read it for a book club.... ****ing terrible. Bad enough that I can say with confidence that you should just avoid Barnes altogether.

Maybe it was 11 then.

Just wanted to let you know that your friend was right. It turns out, I was on book 10, not 11 (discovered that after I finished the book and bought the next one). 9 was pretty good, but 10 was trash. Nothing important happens, and it can be totally skipped. On to 11 then.

Just wanted to let you know that your friend was right. It turns out, I was on book 10, not 11 (discovered that after I finished the book and bought the next one). 9 was pretty good, but 10 was trash. Nothing important happens, and it can be totally skipped. On to 11 then.
From what I'm told, 11-14 are all much more exciting.

Whatever you do, at all costs, avoid Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending. I read it for a book club.... ****ing terrible. Bad enough that I can say with confidence that you should just avoid Barnes altogether.

Was it bad enough that you and your book club parted ways?

Any Cormac McCarthy fans here?

Yes. Love him. Though admittedly, I've only read The Road, No Country for Old Men, and Blood Meridian. His catalogue isn't great like someone like King but his writing is ****ing exquisite. Considering the violent themes that run through most (all?) his work, it's amazing how beautifully poetic and poignant they are. If you've not read it btw, the latter is considered his masterpiece, spy. I highly suggest it.

Yes. Love him. Though admittedly, I've only read The Road, No Country for Old Men, and Blood Meridian. His catalogue isn't great like someone like King but his writing is ****ing exquisite. Considering the violent themes that run through most (all?) his work, it's amazing how beautifully poetic and poignant they are. If you've not read it btw, the latter is considered his masterpiece, spy. I highly suggest it.
I've had the pleasure of learning from a McCarthy expert in academia, and his personal favorite is The Crossing. It's really something. He quickly became one of my favorite writers after reading that book.

Blood Meridian will be the next of his I read (not sure when that will be; hopefully sometime this year).

The Road is one of the greatest books I've ever read. Amazing!

Agree completely. That is one of those books I'm still in limbo about wondering whether I loved it or hated it. The writing is nothing short of mastery, however. I will definitely look into his other stuff. Thanks Spycam for reminding me of him.

I compare it to The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

The_Host.jpg

It's not dystopian as The Road but still post-apocalyptic. The book was so well written that I've considered reading those stupid vampire books of hers. I get why they were so popular and made into film.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but I finally got around to reading Infinite Jest. I am absolutely changed by it. I've been jamming through the rest of David Foster Wallace's stuff ever since, with very brief breaks for anything else. Oblivion is a mastery of different writerly perspectives. And A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again could be described as one of the best pieces of anthropology on the West. I give all these books my highest recommendation. He's right up there with Gaddis as one of the greatest writers of the 20th century. Damn shame he isn't still around.

Last edited:
I compare it to The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

The_Host.jpg

It's not dystopian as The Road but still post-apocalyptic. The book was so well written that I've considered reading those stupid vampire books of hers. I get why they were so popular and made into film.

The stupid vampire books are terribly written. I only read the first one but cringed all the way through it, and I understand the others aren't much better. I'm not that harsh of a critic but I couldn't stand the repetitive descriptions and ridiculous characterizations. It brings back nightmares.

Why I decided to read "The Host" is beyond me, but it turned out to be a really good read (so much that I bought a copy to re-read, which is rare for me these days - no more room for books). I decided that maybe she could be a decent writer after all. There is a line in the book that I think is the most romantic thing I've ever read, and I was really disappointed it wasn't in the movie.

The stupid vampire books are terribly written. I only read the first one but cringed all the way through it, and I understand the others aren't much better. I'm not that harsh of a critic but I couldn't stand the repetitive descriptions and ridiculous characterizations. It brings back nightmares.

Why I decided to read "The Host" is beyond me, but it turned out to be a really good read (so much that I bought a copy to re-read, which is rare for me these days - no more room for books). I decided that maybe she could be a decent writer after all. There is a line in the book that I think is the most romantic thing I've ever read, and I was really disappointed it wasn't in the movie.

Good to know, thanks.

I had no clue The Host was made into a movie. How would you rate the book compared to The Road? One thing I hate about fantasy or action books is when the characters are traveling, through one problem, and then the next, and then another and on and on. However, McCarthy was so brilliant that I could deal with it. Meyer was similar in The Host, even though they eventually settled into one spot.

Good to know, thanks.

I had no clue The Host was made into a movie. How would you rate the book compared to The Road? One thing I hate about fantasy or action books is when the characters are traveling, through one problem, and then the next, and then another and on and on. However, McCarthy was so brilliant that I could deal with it. Meyer was similar in The Host, even though they eventually settled into one spot.

I think The Road was brilliant and consider it one of the most important books I've ever read. However, for entertainment value I prefer The Host. The writing isn't on the same level but it is more fun. Interesting thought you have about traveling, but not an issue I ever have with a book.

The Host movie isn't nearly as good as the book (few ever are) but it was worth watching. It came out in 2013.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but I finally got around to reading Infinite Jest. I am absolutely changed by it. I've been jamming through the rest of David Foster Wallace's stuff ever since, with very brief breaks for anything else. Oblivion is a mastery of different writerly perspectives. And A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again could be described as one of the best pieces of anthropology on the West. I give all these books my highest recommendation. He's right up there with Gaddis as one of the greatest writers of the 20th century. Damn shame he isn't still around.
So many books, so little time. This is on my never-ending To Read list.

So many books, so little time. This is on my never-ending To Read list.

I can personally relate to the decision to put off Infinite Jest. It's a big undertaking. But do yourself a favor and rocket Oblivion to near the top of your queue. You definitely get a mature David Foster Wallace in that collection. And then just go ahead and try NOT to read Infinite Jest. heh.

Just read Between Riverside and Crazy. I rarely read plays, but this one was highly recommended by someone whose opinions I value. I thought it was a fun black comedy and a very quick read.

Recommended.