What's new

Jazzfanz Mock Draft 2015: Pick #12

Who Will The Jazz Pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Come on guys. Turner is the obvious pick. The jazz like defense and scoring and that's what he provides! I would be pretty disappointed if we passed on Turner to pick frank. He has the highest ceiling of players left and could even be in the top 5 of the draft.

He provides 1 kind of defense, rim protection, which we already have the best of in Gobert. I'd rather have another versatile defender in the mold of Favors, like Portis.

Trade down with Boston and they grab Portis.

I wouldn't be disappointed with this, depending on what other assets we picked up by moving down.

I've been pretty quiet on Portis, mainly because I think he'll have to work pretty damn hard to make an impact on offense (that is, beyond mere role player stuff). I think his fit on defense is good though, and that should earn him some time to develop.

He provides 1 kind of defense, rim protection, which we already have the best of in Gobert. I'd rather have another versatile defender in the mold of Favors, like Portis.

Are you saying Turner provides no shooting?

Are you sure he doesn't provide any other kind of defense?

Are you saying Turner provides no shooting?

Because I was talking about offense in that post....

And yeah, Turner isn't even as good at shooting as Bobby Portis is. Pretty sure Portis shot a higher % on midrange jump shots, 3 pointers, and around the rim.

He has shooting potential, because he has a nice stroke and has a nice FT%, which has shown to be an indicator of future shooting (but isn't always so).

Because I was talking about offense in that post....

And yeah, Turner isn't even as good at shooting as Bobby Portis is. Pretty sure Portis shot a higher % on midrange jump shots, 3 pointers, and around the rim.

He has shooting potential, because he has a nice stroke and has a nice FT%, which has shown to be an indicator of future shooting (but isn't always so).

I havent seen enough of Turner. I'm just going on reports. Some say he offers rim protection, and can shoot. Interesting, but he didnt score that much in college.
We wouldnt need him to score a lot, but if he can hit a jumper with some consistency I think hes worth the look.

Are you sure he doesn't provide any other kind of defense?

No perimeter defense.

Is soft in the post and gets punished. Is he going to put on more weight and become even more lumbering and slow?

SO yeah, I think at this point in his career he is kind of a 1 dimensional rim defender who doesn't have good foot speed. Will his shot blocking even translate that well because of his lack of explosiveness and his lack of toughness?

Just hard to get excited about soft bigs who aren't athletic and have to be tought how to run properly and whose offensive game centers entirely around the word "potential" because he didn't produce in college against much smaller players.

I hope the Jazz draft Kaminski just to watch Locke's head explode. If we got Frank, I bet he will do a 180 and praise what a great pick Frank is.

I would not be surprised if the Jazz trade the pick for a vet. Nothing at 12 is exciting.

I'm really not a fan of what I've seen of Turner. He seems to do well only in those areas in which he has natural gifts; and seems to struggle to make an impact in many subtle aspects of the game. He also looks like injury.
This is how I feel too

Just hard to get excited about soft bigs who aren't athletic and have to be tought how to run properly and whose offensive game centers entirely around the word "potential" because he didn't produce in college against much smaller players.

He had 56% TS% and production-wise was equivalent to Towns. I would hardly say he had bad production. He is raw, that's not news, but I think he has all the tools to succeed big time in the league. If you are going to compare him to Portis, compare their freshman seasons. Here's PER40 numbers:

uy3GB1Z.jpg

Portis is a more perimeter oriented defender, but is nowhere near the shotblocker/rim protector. Turner's also much better rebounder. BTW rim protection and rebounding are two of the things that translates best from college ball to the pros, I don't know why you have doubts it will translate.

BTW I also think Turner is better prospect when it comes to shooting. His form is much better and smooth, as evidenced by free throw %s. I think there is a very good chance he will turn into a great shooter in the league.

I love both as prospects, Portis is probably more of what we need right now as versatility in our front court, but Turner for me is the clearcut better prospect long-term.

BTW, what brings them really close to eachother for me is Portis' passing and playmaking... I have a thing for bigs who can pass and think it's an underrated quality.

Last edited:
He had 56% TS% and production-wise was equivalent to Towns. I would hardly say he had bad production. He is raw, that's not news, but I think he has all the tools to succeed big time in the league. If you are going to compare him to Portis, compare their freshman seasons. Here's PER40 numbers:

uy3GB1Z.jpg

Portis is a more perimeter oriented defender, but is nowhere near the shotblocker/rim protector. Turner's also much better rebounder. BTW rim protection and rebounding are two of the things that translates best from college ball to the pros, I don't know why you have doubts it will translate.

BTW I also think Turner is better prospect when it comes to shooting. His form is much better and smooth, as evidenced by free throw %s. I think there is a very good chance he will turn into a great shooter in the league.

I love both as prospects, Portis is probably more of what we need right now as versatility in our front court, but Turner for me is the clearcut better prospect long-term.

BTW, what brings them really close to eachother for me is Portis' passing and playmaking... I have a thing for bigs who can pass and think it's an underrated quality.

Mostly because of his very good FT shooting.

Also, he played limited minutes compared to Portis and wasn't a #1 option, he had more of a support role to focus on rebounding. He definitely has better box-out fundamentals than Portis, but isn't as active on the offensive boards.

I voted for Frank the Tank cuz he brings immediate help to the team. DL did say they were looking for someone that can step in and help the team right away and Frank is the ideal player for that role. If the Jazz do trade down, I hope they still get Frank, Portis, Hollis-Jefferson or Grant.

I like Kaminsky....Jazz are going to need a shooter and Kaminsky will get alot of opportunities .....For sure no one is going to block his shot and I look to see Exum getting into the paint alot more this next season ...Jazz need points,with all that length and two quality rim protectors in the starting lineup,they can draft for a stretch 4 and Kaminsky can be that

I think Turner might be the best potential talent, I also think he fits our teams composition the worst. He still struggled against good talent, but he's also just a freshman.

I just see Frank as too skilled, and too much of the right fit for this team to pass up.

Not sure. It's so hard to predict how players will develop and who the Jazz favor.

I can see the argument for Turner having the most upside (which means there's a good chance he won't be available at #12 tbh).

I agree with Cy and others that someone with an ability to stay with players on perimeter switches would be more valuable to us at this point than additional rim protection, which points more to Portis and Looney. If Turner could develop that, then damn, but for now he doesn't look like the best option in that regard.

If these options were on the board, I don't think we would go with Kaminsky. But who knows?

I voted for Kaminsky, but tbhwy, I'm full of doubts. I hope they find a way to get Stanley Johnson and make everything good in the world.

Take Frank and Trey'd for Dougy McD.