What's new

Jim Jordan is the choice for Speaker?

Did Johnson vote against the continuing resolution before? For the most part, he supported it.

He doesn't plan to let the government shut down.

I think they're equally crappy.
Yes this discussion is weird. It is like, would you rather have the **** of one big dog in a burning paper bag on your porch, or would you prefer the **** of 5 small dogs in the same bag. **** is **** in the end.

Yes this discussion is weird. It is like, would you rather have the **** of one big dog in a burning paper bag on your porch, or would you prefer the **** of 5 small dogs in the same bag. **** is **** in the end.
I have been clear all along that for me if maga wants something then democrats should not want that thing. That has been my issue.
McCarthy worked with Democrats. That pissed off trump and maga. Trump and maga want McCarthy gone. They need democrats help.

Right there I think the Democrats should have been like, "no thanks matt gaetz mtg boebert trump etc. We aren't going to help you achieve what you want"

I think that was a mistake. I know gaetz is super happy and touting the power of maga and how maga is ascending now or whatever. I hate to see it. But that's just me I guess

Keeping your caucus in line doesn't mean caving in to the crazies. For her faults, Pelosi is great at it. There are multiple instances of Pelosi getting the squad to back off whatever crazy line they demanded the left pursue. McCarthy could not do with his crazies what Pelosi did with hers. McCarthy was not as good a leader as Pelosi. As embarrassing as this whole process has been, McCarthy did have to go.
McCarthy didn't cave in to his crazies and that's why he is gone.
Johnson better cave in to his crazies or he gone too. Thing is, he is one of the crazies. I don't see how that's a good thing.

I have been clear all along that for me if maga wants something then democrats should not want that thing. That has been my issue.
McCarthy worked with Democrats. That pissed off trump and maga. Trump and maga want McCarthy gone. They need democrats help.

Right there I think the Democrats should have been like, "no thanks matt gaetz mtg boebert trump etc. We aren't going to help you achieve what you want"

I think that was a mistake. I know gaetz is super happy and touting the power of maga and how maga is ascending now or whatever. I hate to see it. But that's just me I guess

I would part with a lot of money to punch Matt Gaetz in his face.

I don't think many here disagree with your overall sentiment. I think the discussion revolves more around degrees of similarity. That was my point. But for me the fact that we have a bag of **** on our porch is on maga to begin with. I do agree I prefer any politician willing to jump the steaming river of human waste that separates the aisles over all the other ones.

I get a daily mailing from Heather Cox Richardson, a professor of history at Boston College. I have no way of knowing any conversations of Democrats and Republicans on the Speaker of the House issue. But she makes it sound like Democrats tried working with Republicans, but wanted someone who accepted the 2020 election results:

“Today, the United States House of Representatives elected a new speaker to replace former speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), who was ousted by Republican extremists. The new speaker, Representative Mike Johnson of Louisiana, had an advantage over rivals because he has been a backbencher in the House fewer than eight years, too invisible to have made many enemies. He is the least-experienced speaker in more than a century.

Senate Republicans openly admitted they didn’t know who he was. Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) added: “Apparently experience isn’t necessary for the speaker job…. We’re down to folks who haven’t had leadership or chairmanship roles, which means their administration of the House will be a new experience for them.”

The Republican conference decided to back Johnson after extremists scuttled their first choice after McCarthy, Louisiana representative Steve Scalise, and after a block of Republicans refused to back Trump loyalist Jim Jordan of Ohio. After Jordan, Minnesota representative Tom Emmer got the nod from the conference…until former president Trump expressed his disapproval.

Democrats repeatedly offered to work with Republicans to elect a speaker who accepted the results of the 2020 presidential election and who agreed to bring to the floor for an up-or-down vote legislation that was widely popular in both parties. The Republicans rejected those offers.

Instead, they have elected a pro-Trump extremist as speaker”.

I get a daily mailing from Heather Cox Richardson, a professor of history at Boston College. I have no way of knowing any conversations of Democrats and Republicans on the Speaker of the House issue. But she makes it sound like Democrats tried working with Republicans, but wanted someone who accepted the 2020 election results:

“Today, the United States House of Representatives elected a new speaker to replace former speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), who was ousted by Republican extremists. The new speaker, Representative Mike Johnson of Louisiana, had an advantage over rivals because he has been a backbencher in the House fewer than eight years, too invisible to have made many enemies. He is the least-experienced speaker in more than a century.

Senate Republicans openly admitted they didn’t know who he was. Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) added: “Apparently experience isn’t necessary for the speaker job…. We’re down to folks who haven’t had leadership or chairmanship roles, which means their administration of the House will be a new experience for them.”

The Republican conference decided to back Johnson after extremists scuttled their first choice after McCarthy, Louisiana representative Steve Scalise, and after a block of Republicans refused to back Trump loyalist Jim Jordan of Ohio. After Jordan, Minnesota representative Tom Emmer got the nod from the conference…until former president Trump expressed his disapproval.

Democrats repeatedly offered to work with Republicans to elect a speaker who accepted the results of the 2020 presidential election and who agreed to bring to the floor for an up-or-down vote legislation that was widely popular in both parties. The Republicans rejected those offers.

Instead, they have elected a pro-Trump extremist as speaker”.
I get her daily newsletter as well. She does a great job summarizing political news.

Republican party is like a perma- face-palm. How many sane ones are left?

Sent from my SM-G986U using JazzFanz mobile app
Not many. Read an article yesterday about how more and more republicans are gravitating to the notion that Trump didn't even have anything to do with contesting the 2020 election results lol. Delusional.

“Earlier, CNN unearthed editorials for a newspaper in Shreveport, Louisiana, in which Johnson said homosexuality was “inherently unnatural”, would lead to legalised paedophilia and could destroy “the entire democratic system”.

“Homosexual relationships are inherently unnatural,” Johnson wrote in 2004, “and, the studies clearly show, are ultimately harmful and costly for everyone.”……

……Johnson also called same-sex marriage, which would be made legal across the US in 2015, “the dark harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy that could doom even the strongest republic”.

Last edited:

“Earlier, CNN unearthed editorials for a newspaper in Shreveport, Louisiana, in which Johnson said homosexuality was “inherently unnatural”, would lead to legalised paedophilia and could destroy “the entire democratic system”.

“Homosexual relationships are inherently unnatural,” Johnson wrote in 2004, “and, the studies clearly show, are ultimately harmful and costly for everyone.”……

……Johnson also called same-sex marriage, which would be made legal across the US in 2015, “the dark harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy that could doom even the strongest republic”.
So much projection. He just wants all the dick for himself

So much projection. He just wants all the dick for himself
There is something to this. Lots of times those conservatives who are so violently opposed to homosexuality end up having those tendencies themselves. If you believe what Kinsey says about it, then most people have some little bit of each the of the spectrum in them, few people are 100% hetero or homosexual. They most often fall in the middle somewhere, even if just a little.

So yeah, he's probably scared of his own tendencies. Let's just hope he isn't fulfilling those on any little boys among his acquaintances. That happens more than a little bit too. Sadly.

Reactions: Red
So looks like I was wrong. Mike Johnson tried and succeeded in avoiding a government shutdown.
Sucks that there is no funding for WIC but as we all know Republicans don't care much about children post birth, or women.