What's new

Joel Bolomboy HYPE THREAD

I see what I saw when I first saw him in SL, a young Mailman, and everyone ridiculed me then.

As you should have been. Last night's game does nothing to that woefully ridiculous position.

That being said, I always liked Bolomboy and wasn't never really sure why he wasn't getting any burn. Kid can play, he's got attitude and he usually makes the right decision on the court.

I love Bolomboy... Not sure why he hasn't been given more of a shot. Moves well on defense... great rebounder. If he can shoot that is a bonus to me. I see him as a 30-35% guy out there long term. If he's wide open shoot it.

He seems to be out of position a lot, on offense and defense, but that stuff comes with playing time. Seems to have a good motor to make up for some of his mental lapses.

I just can't believe that 3pt% in the D-League translates. That 3pt shot looks so ugly. Plenty of players have shot great 3pt% on high volume from deep in the D-League and hasnt translated to the NBA. Chris Johnson and Elijah Millsap come to mind. Both shot pretty well from deep in the D-League. Elijah had a year where he shot 40% and over 120 shots in a D-League season.
College 3% is good too doe

I love Bolomboy... Not sure why he hasn't been given more of a shot. Moves well on defense... great rebounder. If he can shoot that is a bonus to me. I see him as a 30-35% guy out there long term. If he's wide open shoot it.

He seems to be out of position a lot, on offense and defense, but that stuff comes with playing time. Seems to have a good motor to make up for some of his mental lapses.

Here's how I explain it:

DL is building a full-on PROGRAM with the SLC Stars. Like, with regimens, curricula, etc., etc. When Bolomboy was drafted, he was placed in that program and DL is the kind of guy who like to see that kind of **** through. I think he knew that Joel wouldn't help us win actual games this year, so make sure he gets maximized by the Stars process instead.

I'm going to continue to wonder why Lyles didn't get sent to the Stars this year.. it could've really helped his confidence.

flying meatball types of bigs are more common than you'd think and there's IMO better specimins in this upcoming draft

lol. Except that he's not just a strong athletic knucklehead like Kris Humphries. He is skilled.

I don't care how deep this draft is you aren't going to find strong elite athletic bigs who can rebound, hit the 3, and defend growing on trees.
They aren't that common. I seriously doubt anyone drafted past where we pick in this draft will be a better version of Bolomboy.

Here's how I explain it:

DL is building a full-on PROGRAM with the SLC Stars. Like, with regimens, curricula, etc., etc. When Bolomboy was drafted, he was placed in that program and DL is the kind of guy who like to see that kind of **** through. I think he knew that Joel wouldn't help us win actual games this year, so make sure he gets maximized by the Stars process instead.

Makes sense. Maybe use him in the end role you'd like him to fill rather than a bit part with the team this year.

I just think he would have been better than Trey this year. I think he's good enough to make the rotation but would like to see it over a bigger sample size. I will trust DL process.

Just dont reach as high as you can. IDK, a lot of guys did it last year. There is no way Bolomboy has that wingspan he has at 6'9 in shoes and has a 8'7.5'' standing reach, which is basically Gordon Hayward.

I don't think you could get away with slouching too much at the combine or they'd come over and fix ya.

I just can't believe that 3pt% in the D-League translates. That 3pt shot looks so ugly. Plenty of players have shot great 3pt% on high volume from deep in the D-League and hasnt translated to the NBA. Chris Johnson and Elijah Millsap come to mind. Both shot pretty well from deep in the D-League. Elijah had a year where he shot 40% and over 120 shots in a D-League season.

Seems like you are really reaching for ways to not like him.

His main asset isn't the 3 point shot. Take away Chris Johnson's shot and what does he add?
Can he defend, rebound, and throw down dunks in traffic? Chris and Elijah are not as talented as Bolomboy.
Chris is a bad comparison in general. Same as someone like Morris Almond. If anything why they didnt make it is a positive
in the case for Bolomboy. They were shooters who couldnt make shots in the NBA. There is a reason neither made it.
What else did or could they bring to the table?

Bolomboy's 3 pt potential is only the icing on the cake.

Here's how I explain it:

Good reasoning

So probably not the best comparison trying to lump Bolomboy in with "High Volume" 3point shooters such as Millsap considering Joel had 47 attempts compared to Elijah's 237 this past season. And while you might doubt Bolomboy's ability maintain his 3 point shooting % at the NBA level, I think there's already some evidence out there that bodes well for him.

I've been a season ticket holder at Weber State since Joel's Freshmam year. He was SO raw at the beginning, his first two seasons were basically spent by the coaching staff focusing on Joel's footwork, post game, and midrange jumper. He had 1 three point attempt during his first two seasons. His Junior year, Joel shot 36.6% from 3 on 41 attempts. His senior year, Joel shot 36.4% from 3 on 55 attempts. I really like that Joel increased his attempts by 14 shots his senior year, and his shooting percentage only deviated -00.2%

Now we see what he did with his 20+ games in the Dleague (46.8% on 47 attempts) and it shows us that this is a guy who can stretch the court at the 4 spot and shoot a very good percentage from beyond the arc while attempting 2 to 3 shots per game.

Basically having a front row seat to watch Bolomboy develop for 4 years was fun to watch and I won't ever bet against that kid. Before Joel, I'd never seen a player that would come back better at EVERYTHING after each season. Seriously, this kid would improve each and every facet of his game from one season to the next. Sure, different parts of his game grew at different paces, but he was always moving forward in everything that he was trying to improve.

I said it the day the Jazz drafted him and I'll say it again today: This guy's still raw but he's an absolute bull and he's going to carve out a niche for himself on this team based on sheer will power and work ethic.

Last edited:
So probably not the best comparison trying to lump Bolomboy in with "High Volume" 3point shooters such as Millsap considering Joel had 47 attempts compared to Elijah's 237 this past season. And while you might doubt Bolomboy's ability maintain his 3 point shooting % at the NBA level, I think there's already some evidence out there that bodes well for him.

I've been a season ticket holder at Weber State since Joel's Freshmam year. He was SO raw at the beginning, his first two seasons were basically spent by the coaching staff focusing on Joel's footwork, post game, and midrange jumper. He had 1 three point attempt during his first two seasons. His Junior year, Joel shot 36.6% from 3 on 41 attempts. His senior year, Joel shot 36.4% from 3 on 55 attempts. I really like that Joel increased his attempts by 14 shots his senior year, and his shooting percentage only deviated -00.2%

Now we see what he did with his 20+ games in the Dleague (46.8% on 47 attempts) and it shows us that this is a guy who can stretch the court at the 4 spot and shoot a very good percentage from beyond the arc while attempting 2 to 3 shots per game.

Basically having a front row seat to watch Bolomboy develop for 4 years was fun to watch and I won't ever bet against that kid. Before Joel, I'd never seen a player that would come back better at EVERYTHING after each season. Seriously, this kid would improve each and every facet of his game from one season to the next. Sure, different parts of his game grew at different paces, but he was always moving forward in everything that he was trying to improve.

I said it the day the Jazz drafted him and I'll say it again today: This guy's still raw but he's an absolute bull and he's going to carve out a niche for himself on this team based on sheer will power and work ethic.
This post makes me excited.
I'm thinking he can be similar to Trevor booker. Which would be great.

Yeah, it certainly could happen. I'm just commenting on his form. He has a pretty massive hitch. OFC it's possible to be a great set shooter with unorthodox/poor form, but I just have to see it repeatedly to believe it at the NBA level.

I've watched the videos that you guys posted on the thread and I think Bolomboy still needs to bulk up. I agree that his 3 point shot is a bonus and that his athleticism and ability to finish inside are his main strenghts, but I don't think he'll be able to finish well inside or post-up regularly (or with confidence) at his current weight. Also, I hope the doesn't fall in love with the 3 point shot, as Lyles did.

That being said, I think he should be part of the rotation next season. More than that, he should be put in the kind of situations that Favors is put in. Bolomboy not only should be Favors main back-up but also should have the same plays run for him. He seems tough enought, athletic enough, hard-working enough, unpretentious enough (unlike Lyles, who seems to think of himself as a go-to scorer), so let's see what the guy can do.

Last edited:

Great post, duder. Thanks for sharing. I like what I see with the kid.