What's new

John Collins = Marvin Williams

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
John Collins is probably one of my most disliked Jazz players of the last 20 years. It's not because he's bad or awful. He just doesnt really inspire any kind of joy when I watch him. His game is boring. His game is unimpactful. His game is meh. It's not even in the same way I dislike a guy like Sexton, where I can actively see what he's doing wrong that's hurting the team. Collins just makes the team worse in ways that arent even visible.

Yet he still gets a ton of double doubles and always puts up a consistent stat line. The quote I often think about when I watch John Collins is "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound" because do his stats matter when he seemingly makes us worse on both ends?

Watching Collins is just like a flashback to watching Marvin Williams.

It is pretty shocking how unimpactful he is on the court. With Lauri out you would have expected him to raise his game but he has been the same boring guy all year. It feels like the guy he was his first few years in the league when he was attacking the bucket and constant highlight real dunks is a thing of the past.

His stats in a boxscore typically look alright but at deeper dive you typically see he has the worst +/- in just about every game. It's so uncanny that a stat would hate a player so much. Even last night he was -40 which horrifically wasn't the worst in that Dallas game.

To actually impact the game he might need to be in the perfect situation next to a stretch 5 where he can play more of a small ball center type role. Even the Hawk fans were saying the same thing. Unfortunately he's also another that needs to be set up like most of the other frontcourt players on this team.

I agree he does seem like a cool dude but his on court impact just isn't there for the buck.

Eh, I think his offensive rebounds are pretty visible.

For whatever reason, probably because of his name, I always think of John Glascott (Goldberg's TV character) when I look at Collins.

Dead team right now. No one seems to know what to do out there. For the most part i'ts pure improvisation..
Hard to evaluate players too much. Without LM, JC an KO there's no way against good teams.
I hope coach doesn't just lose it.

I like John Collins and have been an advocate for trading for him. I do think it was the wrong move. That’s a big L for me.

Nah just wait until we trade his contract for a star in 2 years.

The more I hear about the Lavine situation and his trade value… the more I think we do a yankee swap with Collins and Clarkson for Lavine.

I like Collins and think he plays a useful role that is needed for teams that are decent. He obviously wont carry a team or become the focal point but good teams need the John Collins type players. Overall, the make up and mix of this roster may be the worst constituted I have ever seen in my many years as a Jazz fan. I think that makes it difficult to assess individual players because so many are playing in roles that dont fit well within an overall scheme.

Why do we switch on everything? Teams run basic sets and we switch so easily that teams basically get the matchup they want every time. So while I think this comparison isn’t bad, I find some of the things we do defensively leading to losses no matter what is on the roster

John Collins is probably one of my most disliked Jazz players of the last 20 years. It's not because he's bad or awful. He just doesnt really inspire any kind of joy when I watch him. His game is boring. His game is unimpactful. His game is meh. It's not even in the same way I dislike a guy like Sexton, where I can actively see what he's doing wrong that's hurting the team. Collins just makes the team worse in ways that arent even visible.

Yet he still gets a ton of double doubles and always puts up a consistent stat line. The quote I often think about when I watch John Collins is "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound" because do his stats matter when he seemingly makes us worse on both ends?

Watching Collins is just like a flashback to watching Marvin Williams.

Would Al Jefferson be a better example then?

Would Al Jefferson be a better example then?
I think Marvin Williams is more on point

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk