What's new

Game Thread Jul 03, 2023 07:00pm: Thunder Vs Jazz (Summer League)

Added to Calendar: 07-03-23

The most important thing Keyonte showed to me is some promise as a pg. made some good reads… seemed to be able to get into the paint fairly easily… made some shots once he was comfortable. Wish we had some better bigs to run actions with.

The defense isnt some big long term concern… it’s more about this year. Hardy wont play him if he’s that sloppy… again it’s summer league and it’s his first game.

Wanna bet?

Sure, give me an equally hot take ;)

Health concerns aside, I think Chet is a machine. Dude is amazing around the basket on both ends. He is skinny but tough as hell and competes. What I love most is that he utilizes his size/skill to get good shots. Not a guy who will use his talent to turn into 8 foot turnaround jumpers like Ayton. I think he will look incredible with OKC’s talented guards.

Sure, give me an equally hot take ;)

Health concerns aside, I think Chet is a machine. Dude is amazing around the basket on both ends. He is skinny but tough as hell and competes. What I love most is that he utilizes his size/skill to get good shots. Not a guy who will use his talent to turn into 8 foot turnaround jumpers like Ayton. I think he will look incredible with OKC’s talented guards.
Haha my take that I don’t buy it with Chet isn’t hot enough?

I think Keyonte really needs to be a PG to be a starter long term. Looked on the smaller side to me, but has solid size of he's a PG
Yep- he’s Sexton as a more willing/capable passer (and better finisher eventually I think,) which is a compliment, but does mean he only starts as a PG on a good team.

IDK man… there was like damn near 10 plays where he did stuff I could see him getting benched by Hardy. It’s not like unexpected but he’s got a ways to go on that end. If he doesn’t clean it up then I doubt he plays a ton of minutes. It’s his very first summer league game so I expect it to improve substantially… if it becomes a trend I don’t think he will be a for sure rotation player this year.

Defense was up and down for sure, gave up some bad blow bys….but I’m honestly encouraged by his defensive effort. Awareness/experiences not all there….but he does get physical and I always prefer the guy who gambles a little too much over the guy makes no defensive plays. I think your critique of Ochai not getting into guys defensively is very observant and I agree with it. I think George is more inclined to body up his man and I like that. They’re going to be a major learning curve there, however. His transition to playing PG is probably more drastic on defense as it is on offense.

Big thing I was looking for was 1) his conditioning 2) his ability to get to the basket. He looks in much better shape now, no question about it. Almost a little too slight atm but he will gain muscle and bulk in a proper way over time. Chet was giving him the business at the rim but at least he was getting there.

I want to see him get loose as summer league goes on. I am totally uninterested in Luka and Carey trying to dominate the same way they do in the G-League. Ochai chucking is whatever….this is the time to do it….not gonna be a thing in the real league though. I want to see George let his off the dribble 3 fly and see how everyone plays off him. I also wish the backup PG wasn’t so cringy so we could see Keyonte in off the ball positions as well.

My Summer League thoughts so far. . .

#01 - Keyonte and Ochai both looked really good. Pretty much what I expected from them, but it’s still nice to see the potential start showing up.

#02 - Hopefully Hendricks shows out when he gets healthy. I want them to wait until he’s ready to go, but Potter, Samanic and Carey just do not look like NBA guys.

#03 - I like Brice. He seems like a very cool, chill guy. Has at least one NBA skill, but man, those knees worry me. Still wish we would’ve just rolled the dice on GG Jackson. He looked about how I expected him to look.

#04 - I’d like to see what a lineup of George, Agbaji, Sensabaugh, Hendricks and Kessler would look like. I think it would be interesting (if not totally unnecessary) to see all of the Jazz top rookies and 2nd year players out there together.

#05 - I’d like to see the Jazz switch up their 2-way players this year. Hauser looked solid, but I’m already over Potter and Juzang. Go ahead and use summer league to find some new guys to fill those spots. Maybe bring them in from some other team if you have to.

My thoughts:

• Once the rust/jitters were shaken off, Keyonte looked phenomenal to me. I think his longterm promise as a PG is there and it seemed like he started to have a feel for the position as the game went on. His anticipation and eagerness on D was nice to see, though I think he was a bit overeager sometimes. That said, I'd rather have someone trying than not and the rest is simply learning to pick your spots. His shooting just looked amazingly smooth.

• Ochai looked chiseled as hell out there and did a lot of good things. Probably could be a bit more physical defensively, but I won't quibble much on the first game after a break. He'll probably be shut down in Vegas maybe (no point in risking injury).

• Rest of the team was just meh. I know its one game in the SL and they were basically going against an NBA-level team, but Luka was just not good.

• Chet looked like a deer figuring out how to walk out for a bit. Good to see him figure some stuff out, but he's needs to put on a bit of mass. Dude was getting bodied all night.

• The Williams Clones for OKC looked really, really good as well.

My thoughts:

• Once the rust/jitters were shaken off, Keyonte looked phenomenal to me. I think his longterm promise as a PG is there and it seemed like he started to have a feel for the position as the game went on. His anticipation and eagerness on D was nice to see, though I think he was a bit overeager sometimes. That said, I'd rather have someone trying than not and the rest is simply learning to pick your spots. His shooting just looked amazingly smooth.

• Ochai looked chiseled as hell out there and did a lot of good things. Probably could be a bit more physical defensively, but I won't quibble much on the first game after a break. He'll probably be shut down in Vegas maybe (no point in risking injury).

• Rest of the team was just meh. I know its one game in the SL and they were basically going against an NBA-level team, but Luka was just not good.

• Chet looked like a deer figuring out how to walk out for a bit. Good to see him figure some stuff out, but he's needs to put on a bit of mass. Dude was getting bodied all night.

• The Williams Clones for OKC looked really, really good as well.

Yeah, I see Chet's game going very, very differently if it was Kessler out there instead of whatever the hell we had going at Center.

#01 - Keyonte and Ochai both looked really good. Pretty much what I expected from them, but it’s still nice to see the potential start showing up.

#02 - Hopefully Hendricks shows out when he gets healthy. I want them to wait until he’s ready to go, but Potter, Samanic and Carey just do not look like NBA guys.

#03 - I like Brice. He seems like a very cool, chill guy. Has at least one NBA skill, but man, those knees worry me. Still wish we would’ve just rolled the dice on GG Jackson. He looked about how I expected him to look.

#04 - I’d like to see what a lineup of George, Agbaji, Sensabaugh, Hendricks and Kessler would look like. I think it would be interesting (if not totally unnecessary) to see all of the Jazz top rookies and 2nd year players out there together.

#05 - I’d like to see the Jazz switch up their 2-way players this year. Hauser looked solid, but I’m already over Potter and Juzang. Go ahead and use summer league to find some new guys to fill those spots. Maybe bring them in from some other team if you have to.
There are a bunch of guys on our and other summer league rosters to choose from.

#4: Maybe in pre-season.

#5: Potter looks like a fringe NBA guy to me - a 5th big who comes in and hustles. Hauser is about where Georges Niang was when Georges was in his first SL. Hes's a spot-up shooter with enough size to get his shots off. I was really disappointed with Samanic and Vernon Carey. They've been around the league long enough now that they should be putting up double-doubles in games like these.

#4: Maybe in pre-season.

#5: Potter looks like a fringe NBA guy to me - a 5th big who comes in and hustles. Hauser is about where Georges Niang was when Georges was in his first SL. Hes's a spot-up shooter with enough size to get his shots off. I was really disappointed with Samanic and Vernon Carey. They've been around the league long enough now that they should be putting up double-doubles in games like these.

Agree with #5. If you squint hard enough, you can see Potter and/or Hauser developing into an NBA role player with time. They have complimentary skillsets. I don't mind giving them a two way/roster spot but wouldn't be heartbroken to see them churned either. Samanic and Carey have no hope. They don't have the desire or ability to be role players at the NBA level. Their skillsets are being dominant offensive players against lower competition. We should churn those two and take fliers on players who could actually become something in a team context.

Agree with #5. If you squint hard enough, you can see Potter and/or Hauser developing into an NBA role player with time. They have complimentary skillsets. I don't mind giving them a two way/roster spot but wouldn't be heartbroken to see them churned either. Samanic and Carey have no hope. They don't have the desire or ability to be role players at the NBA level. Their skillsets are being dominant offensive players against lower competition. We should churn those two and take fliers on players who could actually become something in a team context.
I agree Luka and Potter sucked last night. The Jazz last win was against the world champs and Luka had 23 points 8 boards, Potter a double double and Ochai had 28 points. Maybe give them the rest of summer league to right themselves.