What's new

Game Thread Jul 05, 2022 07:00pm: 76ers Vs Jazz (Summer League)

Added to Calendar: 07-05-23

There was no Ochai hype. I am his #1 fan merely by just thinking he’s a good 3 and D type of player.
He’s just not gonna be a ball in hand guy. I’d just have him working on diversifying his 3 point shooting a bit and attacking off an advantage not really a guy that ever needs to initiate actions. Just perfect the 3 and D and give just a smidge more off close outs and he’s like a solid starter type.

Keyonte shot the piss out of it tonight. Looked very comfortable… defense was better but still not great… he didn’t look completely out of place which was an issue the other night. If allowed to freelance a bit in a zone he might be decently disruptive.

Keyonte shot the piss out of it tonight. Looked very comfortable… defense was better but still not great… he didn’t look completely out of place which was an issue the other night. If allowed to freelance a bit in a zone he might be decently disruptive.
Just give him the green light that Luka apparently has.

The only freaking summer league that hasn't disappointed was Donovan's rookie year. Whenever we have a rookie that isn't a 25+ pick, it always seems like we find a reason not to play them. We generally don't play our second year players either unless they suck, so I am glad Ochai is out there at least.

It's like when they get a fancy new flavor of Peeps, and I think "Hey this might be good! Hot Tamale flavored Peeps!" But then I east one and realize it is still a freaking Peep. It sucks. There is no happiness to be found there.

Feels like they're telling George that he already has a job and that everyone else there is playing for a job and to let them compete for jobs.
This makes sense. Hardy probably has said he doesnt need to see big numbers, but smart quality play.

Watching the game now... George has a really smooth shot. I think it will translate. I wish he showed a bit more explosiveness on drives to the hoop. He gets blocked a lot in the restricted area...

I don't like his defense. He ball-watches a lot... he gambles... he looks for and calls for switches when he gets switched on bigger player(and I have no problem with that), but then when a teammate bails him out and does the switch... he loses his new man and doesn't box out. I don't like his hustle in transition D either. He's VERY undisciplined defender overall. To add to this, he seems to lack the strength to hold against physical drivers... Will need a lot of coaching.

Ochai looks so good physically! I wish he had a bit more natural basketball feel and on-ball skill. Watching him I get the feeling he probably can be a very good 3 and D player, but quite honestly I doubt he goes much better than this. For example, I don't even think he has Royce O'Neale type of offensive feel and skill.

Ochai looks so good physically! I wish he had a bit more natural basketball feel and on-ball skill. Watching him I get the feeling he probably can be a very good 3 and D player, but quite honestly I doubt he goes much better than this. For example, I don't even think he has Royce O'Neale type of offensive feel and skill.
It's like Ochai can't make those small subtle adjustments when he's moving with the ball to attack the rim. He needs to practice a euro step or something like that. A move that will give him some sort of change of pace, change of direction. It seems like his body coordination just can't handle how explosive he is when the ball is in his hand.

I think ultimately if Ochai expands his offensive game it will be things more like 1-2 dribble pull ups that are strengthened by his threat as a shooter.

So maybe I'm just an idiot, but if the plan is to have Keyonte be a PG, why are the Jazz having him play mostly off-ball so far in Summer League?
Quite honestly, he didn't seem strong with ball in his hands. In the beginning he seemed bothered when pressured with the ball... I think he needs to add both physical strength and possibly even strengthen his dribble a bit if we want him to be primary ballhandler.

Watching the game now... George has a really smooth shot. I think it will translate. I wish he showed a bit more explosiveness on drives to the hoop. He gets blocked a lot in the restricted area...

I don't like his defense. He ball-watches a lot... he gambles... he looks for and calls for switches when he gets switched on bigger player(and I have no problem with that), but then when a teammate bails him out and does the switch... he loses his new man and doesn't box out. I don't like his hustle in transition D either. He's VERY undisciplined defender overall. To add to this, he seems to lack the strength to hold against physical drivers... Will need a lot of coaching.
Keyonte looks like nearly every combo guard in existence, but the shot is a few levels above the usual rookie.

Im just a bit worried that he's too small. His defense looked like a skinny Donovan out there. At one point Smith caught the ball in front of him and George was giving him so much space. That's Terquavion Smith, you have to move up.

And yeah, he has gotten blocked a good amount going to the rim. He hasn't shown that elite athleticism that got rumored at his pro day.

Quite honestly, he didn't seem strong with ball in his hands. In the beginning he seemed bothered when pressured with the ball... I think he needs to add both physical strength and possibly even strengthen his dribble a bit if we want him to be primary ballhandler.
Yeah, it's just not his game yet.

Watch the Lakers and JHS and that dude is a true PG. They give him the ball constantly because he can handle it. Keyonte is going to have to be molded into a PG and I guess Utah doesn't want to overextend him early.

I also think Danny might just not care all that much about having a PG. If he did, JHS is the clear pick. JHS should have been the clear pick at 9 and 16.