What's new

Game Thread Jul 05, 2022 07:00pm: 76ers Vs Jazz (Summer League)

Added to Calendar: 07-05-23

I also think Danny might just not care all that much about having a PG. If he did, JHS is the clear pick. JHS should have been the clear pick at 9 and 16.
JHS is pretty strong for a pg. he can put the shot off after contact. He also looks more nba ready than keyonte. Also keynote have more offensive skills than Ochai. Ochai now is limited in that department it’s easy to figure him out.

Watching the game now... George has a really smooth shot. I think it will translate. I wish he showed a bit more explosiveness on drives to the hoop. He gets blocked a lot in the restricted area...

I don't like his defense. He ball-watches a lot... he gambles... he looks for and calls for switches when he gets switched on bigger player(and I have no problem with that), but then when a teammate bails him out and does the switch... he loses his new man and doesn't box out. I don't like his hustle in transition D either. He's VERY undisciplined defender overall. To add to this, he seems to lack the strength to hold against physical drivers... Will need a lot of coaching.
I think this is fair. A lot of what I see though is stuff that can be coached up and experience can breed a bit of discipline. Like I've said, I've got more use for a player that tries a bit too hard then not. Once he's in training camp, I suspect he'll drop some of his bad tendencies quickly. If he's as eager to learn as he looks, he'll be a very dangerous player.

I can’t put my finger on why, but Ochai’s ability to attack the basket is dreadful. Maybe it’s a lack of feel? He’s either getting a charge or clanking it every time. Unless it’s an easy uncontested basket he makes it look incredibly difficult for some reason.

I can’t put my finger on why, but Ochai’s ability to attack the basket is dreadful. Maybe it’s a lack of feel? He’s either getting a charge or clanking it every time. Unless it’s an easy uncontested basket he makes it look incredibly difficult for some reason.

Because Ochai isn't a first or second option like he is playing in Summer League. He's a spot up 3 and straight line drive player that thrives on spacing. In summer league, there is no spacing and no one is kicking something out for an open 3.

Because Ochai isn't a first or second option like he is playing in Summer League. He's a spot up 3 and straight line drive player that thrives on spacing. In summer league, there is no spacing and no one is kicking something out for an open 3.

His straight line drives are the ones that end in disaster. If there’s any resistance at the basket he can’t finish.

Ochai is shooting 43.8% from 3 through 2 games on 8 attempts per game.

The great thing is when he is playing with the starters he doesn’t need to be a creator and will feast on open threes opportunities.

His straight line drives are the ones that end in disaster. If there’s any resistance at the basket he can’t finish.
He’s good at spot up 3, driving not so much. Maybe that’s exactly what jazz need. So I don’t expect him to develop some more offensive moves. He’s gonna be busy with defensive assignments.

What we REALLY need is more offense from Kessler. Maybe 3pt shooting or midrange shot? He can’t be Rudy 2.0

He’s good at spot up 3, driving not so much. Maybe that’s exactly what jazz need. So I don’t expect him to develop some more offensive moves. He’s gonna be busy with defensive assignments.

What we REALLY need is more offense from Kessler. Maybe 3pt shooting or midrange shot? He can’t be Rudy 2.0
If Kess got reliable out to 15, that would be amazing.

He's already as good offensively as peak Rudy Gobert at finishing around the basket (not offensively as Rudy is probably the best in the NBA at screen setting) We have actually seen him hit a 3 in game. Really though, what we need from him is to get better at the line like Rudy did. 50-60% as a free throw shooter isn't going to cut it for someone who wants to be a superior post player. Fix that first, then start raining down the midrange after.

Ochai is shooting 43.8% from 3 through 2 games on 8 attempts per game.

The great thing is when he is playing with the starters he doesn’t need to be a creator and will feast on open threes opportunities.
Sure, but he’s not creating in the NBA with or without starters around him. He might be able to develop a decent (straight line) drive to attack close outs, but he’s not there yet either.

Biggest thing for Ochai this seasons is to show how good of a defender he actually is. He can't really prove that in the summer league, but the rebounds + stocks is a good sign. I don't really care that he's chucking but it's clear that he won't be a guy who expands his game much. That's just fine if he can be a good defender. At some point we're going to need some perimeter players that are better than "just fine" though.

Biggest thing for Ochai this seasons is to show how good of a defender he actually is. He can't really prove that in the summer league, but the rebounds + stocks is a good sign. I don't really care that he's chucking but it's clear that he won't be a guy who expands his game much. That's just fine if he can be a good defender. At some point we're going to need some perimeter players that are better than "just fine" though.
If Ochai is a pure 3 and D player, that’s great. It would be great if he was a creator since we need them but he isn’t and most likely won’t be (he has no “wiggle” and his feel as a driver is poor).

I think he has upside as a hustle player that has gotten a little rusty in the last couple of years and he needs to tap back into that.

He's already as good offensively as peak Rudy Gobert at finishing around the basket (not offensively as Rudy is probably the best in the NBA at screen setting) We have actually seen him hit a 3 in game. Really though, what we need from him is to get better at the line like Rudy did. 50-60% as a free throw shooter isn't going to cut it for someone who wants to be a superior post player. Fix that first, then start raining down the midrange after.
Rudy jumped from 45% to 63% after his rookie campaign, but he's usually hovered around 65% ish since. But do agree Kessler needs to get a bit better there, and I think he can. To me, I think he's more offensively oriented than Rudy.

If Ochai is a pure 3 and D player, that’s great. It would be great if he was a creator since we need them but he isn’t and most likely won’t be (he has no “wiggle” and his feel as a driver is poor).

I think he has upside as a hustle player that has gotten a little rusty in the last couple of years and he needs to tap back into that.

I really, really hope he becomes a hustle guy....but to some degree I think it's just natural instinct. Some guys just have a nose for the ball and others do not. You don't need to be a a defensive playmaker to be a good defender, but it really helps and it would specifically help this Jazz team a lot. The Jazz were 28th in creating turnovers and 23rd in defensive rebounding. They'll need at least one of those two to be much, much better.

Rebounding from perimeter guys is something I think is underrated, especially in the playoffs when teams "scheme" around bigs. If all your rebounding and rim protection is wrapped up into one player it becomes really easy to play around that, less so if you have multiple guys contributing.