What's new

Kanter...SMH!

Nikola's rebounding numbers better cause he easily the best rebounder in the team.

Um.... ever heard of a guy named kevin love? He is a pretty good rebounder.

I would rather have kanter than pekovic but to say he is a good rebounder because he is easily the best rebounder on the team is just stupid.

Oh u really do not know about the players name right? You know who is Nikola Vucevic? And Which team he plays for? Vucevic the rookie one of PHILLY, clever guy.

You don't plant pumkin seeds in may and rip the plants out in June just because you don't see a field full of Jack-o-lanterns. And you don't get rid of Kanter because he drops his balls, dribbles too much or can't dance.

I agree with this bit of homegrown wisdom. We have a lot riding on this guy so it's natural to be critical and concerned, I get it. It will be interesting to see what he brings to the table next year with a season of NBA and a PO series under his belt.

The thing that really really really worries me about Kanter is his court vision. It's bad right now, very bad. Hopefully it's a learning process.

The thing that really really really worries me about Kanter is his court vision. It's bad right now, very bad. Hopefully it's a learning process.

Me too. His IQ, or lack there off, is what bothers me the most. That is too be expected from a guy who hasn't really had much game time, but at the same time I don't really get a great sense that he has a natural aptitude for the game. It can improve no doubt, but I have the feeling he will be along the same skill level as Jefferson is in passing ability.

Also think it is kind of ironic the OP gets flamed for making this post (rightfully so), but the people who makes the "Fire Corbin" threads don't. Kanter and Corbin are both rookies at their respective positions (player and coach). Why isn't Corbin allowed the same patience in growth among the board?

Dude... You do realize he's already twice as good as Jefferson on the defensive end, don't you?.

Thats ridiculous statement. Jefferson may be not the best P&R defender but he is solid one on one defender and he is 100X better shot blocker then Kanter. So how you can say that Kanter better defender overall?? He might show more effort but skill wise he is no better then big AL.

Me too. His IQ, or lack there off, is what bothers me the most. That is too be expected from a guy who hasn't really had much game time, but at the same time I don't really get a great sense that he has a natural aptitude for the game. It can improve no doubt, but I have the feeling he will be along the same skill level as Jefferson is in passing ability.

His rebounding is because of his great sense to get under the board. He's got good IQ on the big man end (he rotates well and stuff), but his court vision really lacks.
And I think Jefferson's passing ability was a combo of how he was used in Minny and also tunnel vision. Kanter has one of those demons so far.

Enes Kanter 13.2 min 4.2 rebounds 0.1 assists 0.3 blocks 0.3 steals 0.8 TO's and 4.6 pts.

Nikola Vucevic 15.9 min 4.8 rebounds 0.6 assists 0.7 blocks 0.4 steals 0.6 TO's and 5.5 pts

Hasheem Thabeet 13.0 min 3.6 rebounds 0.2 assists 1.4 blocks 0.2 steals 0.6 TO's and 3.1 pts

Enes Kanters stats aren't that much better then Hasheem Thabeet's rookie year

But at same time his stats are actually slightly better then Spencer Hawes who I think is solid

Spencer Hawes 13.1 min 3.3 rebounds 0.6 assists 0.6 blocks 0.2 steals 0.8 TO's and 4.7 pts

Al Jefferson was straight out of high school and had slightly better stats then Enes Kanter

Al Jefferson 14.8 min 4.4. rebounds 0.3 assists 0.8 blocks 0.3 steals 0.9 TO's and 6.7 p

Well obviously we all want Kanter to be at least an All-Star. Lets face it anything less from the third pick overall is disappointing.

It's hard to compare Enes Kanters stats to star centers rookie years since most of them got more minutes then Kanter did because they didn't have as much depth as Jazz had.

I think Kanters defense was better then expected (especially if you watched those DraftExpress videos on his defense, those videos made him look horrible). However his offense was not quite as good as I expected.

I would say that from his rookie year all we can say is that the jury is still out.

I think Kanters defense was better then expected (especially if you watched those DraftExpress videos on his defense, those videos made him look horrible). However his offense was not quite as good as I expected.

Well said. I think in those draftexpress videos he just gave no sh..t about defense in those high school games or he did not know that somebody is recording it.

I'm not worried about Kanter. He is already a elite rebounder, showed he can defend and outmuscle some of the best bigs in the league. I know there isnt much film on the kid prev to this year but he has a good stroke. Just wait until he starts streching d's with a 3 pt shot about 3 years from now. One big problem is although Al is teaching him good footwork, and low post moves he is also teaching him to hold the ball to long and not teaching him to look for the open cutter. 10 rpg is a given. Points I could see 14-18 range depending on if he developes the strech 3.

Folks, when will you all see that Kanter is NOT the path of the future, and we should not give up Jefferson, Millsap or Favors to keep him. Kanter is nothing more than another Kosta Kofous. Even with a years work, he still brings the ball down low EVERY TIME, and gets stripped more times than anyone I have ever seen. Kanter cannot hang onto the ball period. Listen, I know hes only 19 and a rookie, but I honestly do not see what all the fuss is. He had some good moments, just like Kosta did, but he just is not spectacular at all! I mean even players like McGee can handle the ball and not lose it, and lsts face it, McGee is a total moron who makes Kenyon Martin look like Stephen Hawking! I did not see ANY progress from Kanter, even when he was part of the regular rotation. I saw tons of times where Corbin, in his efforts to try and give Kanter time, waited too long, and lost games due to lost leads in the 4th quarter. I see this constant double-edged sword from Jazz fans, they want picks, but also want to win NOW! You can have one or the other, and that is pretty much it. If you are happy getting young talent, developing them, and losing them to the bigger teams, then fine, so be it. I for one have always seen a winning culture in Utah, win now, do our best, play hard and nasty. Kanter is afraid to even foul someone half the time. Personally I think we should move Kanter, and keep Favors, Jefferson and MIllsap. They are the "win now" group, heck even Alec Burkes, also a rookie, and a lower pick, has improved leaps and bounds compared to Kanter. Looking back now, there is no way Kanter should have been a #3 pick, period!

I for one don't want a decade of mediocrity, just to develop someone like Kanter into a servicable player, at the cost of every other person who actually wins you games. Jefferson and Millsap won us games, period, there is no disputing that. Kanter has not made us better, not one bit. His performance just leaves me "SMH" every night hes on the floor!

Your performance on these boards just leaves me SMH everytime I see you post.

I'm not saying he'll be great... but I'm saying it could be a lot worse.

Hi.

Kanter has hardly played basketball at a high level. Sat out college, no training camp, no summer leauge and hardly no preseason. Kanter is 19 years old.

Thank you for your time.

Hi.

Kanter has hardly played basketball at a high level. Sat out college, no training camp, no summer leauge and hardly no preseason. Kanter is 19 years old.

Thank you for your time.

None of that necessarily means he will develop a basketball IQ or elite skills. He may just be a big body who is good at being physical, rebounding, and a relatively soft jumper.

Oh u really do not know about the players name right? You know who is Nikola Vucevic? And Which team he plays for? Vucevic the rookie one of PHILLY, clever guy.

Ooops my bad.... i do feel foolish now.
I follow nba pretty closely and have never even heard of him. (i was obviously thinking of nikola pekovic)
I did see that he didn't play a single minute in yesterdays game..... I will still take kanter over him (especially considering i know nothing about vucevic :)

This is the dumbest thread and original post on the internet. It has to be.

Kanter is 19 and the last real competitive basketball he played was high school (against mediocre - at best- competition). He's got all the tools to be excellent. His natural strength is amazing. Anything he did well this season was a complete bonus for us.

No one expected him to be half of what he will be this year, or even in the next two. He'll get significantly better each season.

If you are a college basketball fan, you'd see how rare it is for true freshmen big men to make great impacts. There is a necessary adjustment to be made to the speed, physicality and it takes many high-level bigs a year or two for the game to slow down for them. Multiply that speed and physicality by 50 and that's the NBA. Anyone who expected Kanter to look good this season was irrational and misguided.

i was irrational i admit
but if he got 25-30 mins per game like most of 3rd picks, he would have impressed way more people

Verdict is still out on Kanter. Let's see how he plays next year. Hope somehow he can improve on his lift. To me, that is one of the biggest things he needs to improve. If he could get at least six more inches on his vertical and I think that's doable as he is still growing.

Verdict is still out on Kanter. Let's see how he plays next year. Hope somehow he can improve on his lift. To me, that is one of the biggest things he needs to improve. If he could get at least six more inches on his vertical and I think that's doable as he is still growing.

are you kidding me? kid has a 32.5 inch max vertical. if he would add six more inches, he would have a 38.5 inch max vertical. even blake griffin has a 35.5 max inch vertical. tyson chandler, andrew bogut and ekpe udoh are similar to kanter: they all have 33.5 inch max vertical. while his standig vertical could improve, his problem is not his lack of lift at all, it's rather that he does not have the elite length à la cousins, chandler and so on, while he still is not undersized.

his jumping ability is average, but the problem is his lack of explosiveness. he can't jump quickly, that's his problem, not his lack of getting high in the air! he can't get high quickly.

Ok, but it sure looks like he can't get up. Guess that explains it. But there are ways to improve on that, I think. I've read about Olympians in the high jump, broad jump, and triple jump using techniques to improve on explosiveness, so maybe he can improve on that. And it looks like Griffin is getting two feet higher than Kanter -- not to say that he is, but it sure looks that way.