What's new

Kanter...SMH!

Horrible post. I am still thinking we drafted based on the thought that we would not have a season this year. We were thinking who is the best option 2-3 years down the road. We drafted Kanter on potential. Was there a rookie center who did better then him? In 15 minutes a game I think he did as well/better then half the centers in league. He played in more games this year then his whole life prior. Anyone dumb enough to dump him for less then a the top 3 draft pick and value is insane.

Enes Kanter 13.2 min 4.2 rebounds 0.1 assists 0.3 blocks 0.3 steals 0.8 TO's and 4.6 pts.

Nikola Vucevic 15.9 min 4.8 rebounds 0.6 assists 0.7 blocks 0.4 steals 0.6 TO's and 5.5 pts.

Enes kanter advantages = 2 years younger

Equal : Points per 36 and rebounds per 36

Nikola Vucevic : Significantly better blocks, less turnovers, and 3 inches on wingspan and 1/2 inch on height

Nikola was drafted pick 16 compared to Kanter at pick 3

Would you rather have 2 years age or better blocker, less turnovers and 3 inches on wingspan and 1/2 inch on height?

Personally I would prefer Kanter but just something to think about.

Enes Kanter 13.2 min 4.2 rebounds 0.1 assists 0.3 blocks 0.3 steals 0.8 TO's and 4.6 pts.

Nikola Vucevic 15.9 min 4.8 rebounds 0.6 assists 0.7 blocks 0.4 steals 0.6 TO's and 5.5 pts.

Enes kanter advantages = 2 years younger

Equal : Points per 36 and rebounds per 36

Nikola Vucevic : Significantly better blocks, less turnovers, and 3 inches on wingspan and 1/2 inch on height

Nikola was drafted pick 16 compared to Kanter at pick 3

Would you rather have 2 years age or better blocker, less turnovers and 3 inches on wingspan and 1/2 inch on height?

Personally I would prefer Kanter but just something to think about.

Nikola will be good center in the league too but while comparing stat numbers, u gotta think the facts too. Nikola's rebounding numbers better cause he easily the best rebounder in the team. Kanter is sharing some rebounds with Favors, Millsap etc. His point avereages are better because his attempts are more. He even started for Philly in several matches. Yea he has height and winspan advantage but also he was the slowiest and least athletic player at the draftcamp too.

Nikola will be good center in the league too but while comparing stat numbers, u gotta think the facts too. Nikola's rebounding numbers better cause he easily the best rebounder in the team. Kanter is sharing some rebounds with Favors, Millsap etc. His point avereages are better because his attempts are more. He even started for Philly in several matches. Yea he has height and winspan advantage but also he was the slowiest and least athletic player at the draftcamp too.

hell he even shared many rebounds with wingman and pointguards in the last couple of games. he agressively attacks the ball when rebounding and this sometimes leads to throwing the teammate to the otherside. remember favors bouncing back from kanter in the air when rebounding in the early season? I think coach warned him about team-rebounding.

I think Kanter can become a good offensive player, but I don't really see him becoming a good defensive guy like many on here think.

I see potential in him becoming a good player, but I see just as much ,if not more, in him becoming a huge bust.

Kanter's rebounding really helps him out though, without it he wouldn't be able to get any minutes on the court in the NBA at this time in his career and would probably be in the Dleague.

I think Kanter can become a good offensive player, but I don't really see him becoming a good defensive guy like many on here think.

I see potential in him becoming a good player, but I see just as much ,if not more, in him becoming a huge bust.

Dude... You do realize he's already twice as good as Jefferson on the defensive end, don't you? In fact, I'd say when he and Favors are in the game the Jazz post D is at its best. Kanter is usually in the right spot. Sure sometimes he's a little over-aggressive and loses track of himself on defense, but he is usually in good position and does a good job of keeping his arms straight up when defending the hoop.

Dude... You do realize he's already twice as good as Jefferson on the defensive end, don't you? In fact, I'd say when he and Favors are in the game the Jazz post D is at its best. Kanter is usually in the right spot. Sure sometimes he's a little over-aggressive and loses track of himself on defense, but he is usually in good position and does a good job of keeping his arms straight up when defending the hoop.

A lot changes defensively when you go from playing spot back up minutes to full on starter minutes. I may be wrong. I'm not saying I see him being a terrible defender, but I just see him being so-so defensively.

A lot changes defensively when you go from playing spot back up minutes to full on starter minutes. I may be wrong. I'm not saying I see him being a terrible defender, but I just see him being so-so defensively.

Oh, so you don't know how he will be at all? Why didn't you say so?

Nikola's rebounding numbers better cause he easily the best rebounder in the team.

Um.... ever heard of a guy named kevin love? He is a pretty good rebounder.

I would rather have kanter than pekovic but to say he is a good rebounder because he is easily the best rebounder on the team is just stupid.

If nothing else he should have been in the game mid 3rd quarter to put a hard foul on Parker or Ginobili! Make them think twice about driving in the lane. A good hard foul is all I wanted.... was that too much to ask?

Here's the abridged version of my thoughts on Kanter as they've changed throughout the season:

"I expect nothing from this kid this year. Our frontcourt is crowded; he hasn't played ball is so long."

"Dude, this kid is pretty good even now!"

"He's way ahead of schedule; could be good in two years; could even be a good ~20min/night guy next year; lots of skills translating. Happy."

"His feel for the game worries me. I hope he plays his guts out this summer and next year's training camp helps him see the game. Slightly worried."

What impressed me about Kanter is that as physical as he plays on defense, he somehow managed to average less fouls per 36M than any other post player on the team with the exception of Jefferson - who of course plays zero defense.

The one thing I expected from Kanter due to his inactivity and inexperience was to be a smack and grab guy a la the great Kyrylo Fesenko and his mind boggling 10 fouls per 36 minutes during his rookie season. But the guy plays hard D and he plays smart D and he obviously takes a lot of pride in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ0wMlRaJRg

Lets not forget his defense on Bynum throughout the season, especially in this game. The guy simply could not back down Kanter, despite being the best Laker in that game. This alone is just such a great attribute, especially seeing as he has the tools where he can guard a center one-on-one, without consistently needing a double team for help (ahem, AlJ)

NBA bigmen typically develop slower than NBA gaurds. The Bigs have more to learn on offense and defense. They have to adjust to strength and speed of nba and all the subtle tricks of experienced players.

You don't plant pumkin seeds in may and rip the plants out in June just because you don't see a field full of Jack-o-lanterns. And you don't get rid of Kanter because he drops his balls, dribbles too much or can't dance.

Kanter is frolicking fast YO! Don't get it twisted.

He was the only big man to finish the treadmill drill at the combine... the dude can RUN!

People have already forgotten about this treadmill test. It just seems weird when people say he is fatigued etc. I haven't seen it yet. It shows his dedication to conditioning despite the fact that he has a bigger frame.

"He went 21-plus minutes on the treadmill test, and only five guys -- plus Enes -- [did that] and four of them were guards," Ergul told SI.com. "[NBA officials] said that was the first time in the draft in modern history that had happened, that no 6-11-plus guys ever finished 21-minutes-plus on the treadmill test ... People don't realize how prepared this kid is, how dedicated he is."

https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/05/23/predraft.camp.wrap/index.html

for some reason Kanter reminds me of Vitaly Potapenko.

I think he'll be better than the Ukraine Train, but, that's the guy I think of when I think Kanter.

I would be blown away if Kanter doesn't improve substantially coming into next year and/or given an amount of minutes that he can actually do something with. Coming off the bench and just being expected to produce and contribute is a tough gig. There's a reason Sloan liked having certain vets like Harpring come off the bench, and it's largely because going from sitting down to suddenly being thrown in the fray and being expected to contribute isn't easy.

Kanter has some things he needs to learn:
-Quick moves: Most young players need to learn patience, Kanter's a different animal, though. He's stronger than anyone he's faced not named Nikola Pekovic, he can get position. If he gets position, he should be prepared for a quick jump hook, layup, reverse, or get to the line. His offense shouldn't be predicated on a protracted siege, that's bad for the offense, and that helps the D. Can some simple moves and really pressure the defense. Move away from the ball-stopping.
-Court awareness/passing: Watch that video that has Shaq, Chuck, and Kenny as Hakeem. Learn the place on the block that he wants and needs to be. Use that so he can do quick surveys of the defense, and so that he knows who he can kick to if the situation reveals itself. Move away from the ball-stopping.
-Picks: So much good offense is based on setting a good pick. I wouldn't say he's bad, but he's not fluent in turning his pick into a weapon for himself as either a PnR player or a pick-and-pop option. A lot of that comes down to coaching and the ball-handler, but he should still work harder on setting stronger picks, rolling faster, and also slipping picks and sliding to the basket quicker. Also can a couple mid-range Js. Move away from the ball-stopping.

All of these things would set up his up-and-under if/when he wants to use it.

if you say so.
there's a respectful way to do that and congratulating someone for one of the stupidest threads ever started is another way to do that.
you just kinda end up sounding like a jerk that way.

Thats the nature of message boards. Gotta have thick skin if you are gonna go against the grain.

People have already forgotten about this treadmill test. It just seems weird when people say he is fatigued etc.

I'm not dismissing the treadmill test entirely; but anyone who has ever played at any level knows there are a bunch of factors that contribute to fatigue that could never be detected on a treadmill.

Try running on a treadmill for 30 minutes and then spend 30 minutes trying to box out Glenn Davis' fat *** - see which one gets you gassed first.

Reactions: BYE
I'm not dismissing the treadmill test entirely; but anyone who has ever played at any level knows there are a bunch of factors that contribute to fatigue that could never be detected on a treadmill.

Try running on a treadmill for 30 minutes and then spend 30 minutes trying to box out Glenn Davis' fat *** - see which one gets you gassed first.

Ha, ha, ha, that's cruel and unusual punishment!