What's new

Karl Malone Appreciation Thread

Fair point. Except Duncan's teams still won four rings despite him being hounded. Malone didn't. And those are just certain series. Malone sucked over his entire post-season career as far as FG% goes. Duncan didn't. Listen man, I use to love Malone as a player. But he was a choker in not just huge games but HUGE moments. Why can't you admit that?

Fair point. Except Duncan's teams still won four rings despite him being hounded. Malone didn't. And those are just certain series. Malone sucked over his entire post-season career as far as FG% goes. Duncan didn't. Listen man, I use to love Malone as a player. But he was a choker in not just huge games but HUGE moments. Why can't you admit that?

Can you admit that both Finals Jazz teams and Bulls teams were better than any team that the Spurs ever faced to win their rings or does the caliber of competition not count?

Exactly, Duncan's teams still won even tho Duncan didnt do so well. He had better teams around him. Remember though? This is about the Players, Malone and Duncan? Rings are won by teams (unless, arguably ur talking about MJ). You cant use FG% as a bench mark, then switch back to straight rings when you find Duncan feel off in that regard too.

I like how Jordan's steal was because Malone choked. Jordan took a huge gamble and it paid off. If Hornacek cuts back instead of continuing along the baseline, things might have turned out differently. Jordan gambled that Horny wouldn't cut back and he was right. Jordan made the play, but Malone apparently choked. Never mind that it took a huge ****ing game by Malone while facing elimination in Chicago to get to Game 6. Never mind that Malone was having a huge ****ing game in Game 6. Malone choked. Or so the popular version goes.

BTW, arguably the most pressure of any game for Karl was Gm 5 IN Chitown facing elimination. This is what happened ----> https://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=BestFinalsGame-Individual-5

I never said Horry was the best on his teams. Nor was Fisher cited as the best on his teams. KEK said Duncan > Malone because 4 > 0, there are no other factors cited. Therefore, Horry > Duncan.

They way I see it

Duncan
Malone
Barkley
Kg

Are all the greatest power forwards ever all dominated the game in different ways in their respective era's. The difference between them though in their primes the only one who was a winner was Duncan. That's what stands out to me between these 4 dominating power forwards,

They way I see it

Duncan
Malone
Barkley
Kg

Are all the greatest power forwards ever all dominated the game in different ways in their respective era's. The difference between them though in their primes the only one who was a winner was Duncan. That's what stands out to me between these 4 dominating power forwards,

And I see it like this:

Jabbar
Chamberlain
Russell
Duncan
Olajuwon
O'Neal
Moses
Walton

Duncan is a power forward in name only.

It's funny, yes, Malone got the ball stolen, but it was Stockton who had (at least) two shots to win it after that.

Well that's a logical opinion is you consider Duncan a C then Malone is the great Pf of all time. If you consider Duncan a PF then He's the greater Power Forward of all time

Duncan had deeper teams, and lesser opponents. Malone was statistically superior. Of course SA is gonna win titles if they have a great team vs. lessor opponents. That has nothing to do with individual comparisons.

To say Duncan is better then Malone solely based on rings, then you have to concede Horry > Duncan. If, instead, you point to Malone's drop in FG% as your arguement, then you must be ignoring Duncan's equally dismal FG%. Obviously, I dont believe Horry is better then Duncan...thats why I dont believe in Rings vs. No Rings as the best bench mark in determining which player was better. That works when comparing two teams, not two players. If you compare statistics, Malone has the edge. Malone also was better over a longer period, Duncan is already declining. The only "edge" I give Duncan is in shot blocking. I wont even say defending per se, Malone was a great position defender.

Duncan had deeper teams, and lesser opponents. Malone was statistically superior. Of course SA is gonna win titles if they have a great team vs. lessor opponents. That has nothing to do with individual comparisons.

To say Duncan is better then Malone solely based on rings, then you have to concede Horry > Duncan. If, instead, you point to Malone's drop in FG% as your arguement, then you must be ignoring Duncan's equally dismal FG%. Obviously, I dont believe Horry is better then Duncan...thats why I dont believe in Rings vs. No Rings as the best bench mark in determining which player was better. That works when comparing two teams, not two players. If you compare statistics, Malone has the edge. Malone also was better over a longer period, Duncan is already declining. The only "edge" I give Duncan is in shot blocking. I wont even say defending per se, Malone was a great position defender.

KM, Duncan has an equally dismal FG% in his Finals appearance but not in the playoffs. Duncan's post-season stats are very similar to his regular season stats. Malone on the other hand has a huge dip in his field goals percentage. I personally feel like Duncan could guard Malone fairly well but Malone would struggle against Duncan at times. Perhaps I'm being too harsh and cynical though. I can't imagine Duncan (in Malone's place) beating those Bulls teams either.

Unfortunately, I cant recall a lot of instances where Malone guarded Duncan exclusively. I do recall him reducing DRobinson to rubble countless times, but it seems Ostertag was stuck on Duncan mostly. Also, if you take away the last 6 years of Malone's "playoff stats" and just compare his first 13 season, to Duncans full 13 you'd see a different picture. The last 6 years (5 in Utah, 1 in LA) drag his postseason FG% and PPG down. Compare the first 13 for each and the "Duncan's playoff numbers are superior" argument goes away.

Who would win one on one in their prime? Duncan or Malone? I would take Malone with the only advantage I see Duncan having is his height. If they were both in the same draft which would you take?

I don't credit Duncan as the sole reason San Antonio won its 4 rings and for me Malone was a much more important piece for its team than Duncan. The Spurs have had Parker, Ginobili, Robinson etc to take the pressure off. If Malone had been on those spurs instead of Duncan teams do you think the spurs would have 0 championships? Doubt it