What's new

KG3 / Kessler = Young Don / Rudy?

I think it’s going to be difficult for our new two to be as good as Don and Rudy. The hope would be Keyonte is about the same as Don (but he needs to get to the rim as he matures—basically every elite wing gets to the line) but that Kessler stands out ahead of Rudy by being an elite defensive player like Gobert but far better on offense with actual moves and/or shooting to where he is scoring ~ 20 a night.

I think it’s going to be difficult for our new two to be as good as Don and Rudy. The hope would be Keyonte is about the same as Don (but he needs to get to the rim as he matures—basically every elite wing gets to the line) but that Kessler stands out ahead of Rudy by being an elite defensive player like Gobert but far better on offense with actual moves and/or shooting to where he is scoring ~ 20 a night.
If the Keymaster could give us even 75% of Don on offense but with better efficiency, better playmaking, and some semblance of caring about defense that's a huge win. And in a package what, 5 inches taller? He'd be all-nba material with that.

Right now defense is a huge question mark. That said, he’s insanely young.
Yeah it is. But it could be there. Would be awesome.

I believe they can get there.

To me, Skywalker has better hands than Rudy, so his offensive game feels a bit more solid. The impact on D will take some time, but I believe he has All-NBA potential. He needs to work on some things, such as FTs and a midrange/three point jimmy to open things up for Lauri, Hendricks, and Collins to work, but it can get there. The fact he was a ROTY candidate despite not being an offensive savant is very, very telling.

I think Key could be a Dame/Don hybrid of sorts. He needs to work on his defense, but again, there's a lot to work with because of his athleticism and willingness to try. SL sample size is small, as is college, but it feels like he passes the eyetests pretty easily to me. Only a few games in and he's gotten such a handle on the offensive side of things that there is nothing left to prove there. He's also only friggin 19. I've no doubt he's the PG of the future.

We know very little about Key but there are some positive signs. There are folks who do well win the SL who flame out when it gets real and some who do poorly in SL that turn out great. Fingers crossed. As for Kessler, we all love him and love that he has some offense but he has a ways to go to replace an all NBA guy who is one of the best defensive centers to play the game.

We know very little about Key but there are some positive signs. There are folks who do well win the SL who flame out when it gets real and some who do poorly in SL that turn out great. Fingers crossed. As for Kessler, we all love him and love that he has some offense but he has a ways to go to replace an all NBA guy who is one of the best defensive centers to play the game.
Yeah but not many do this well without some reflection in the regular season. And the last guy we had blow up summer league like this was Donovan so that bodes well for us.

Nah, somebody in another thread assured me that nobody with Keyonte's college efficiency could ever pan out in the NBA.

Yep... I still want to see Keyonte play vs NBA starters. I'm kind of worried about his defense...
Not to mention... what if Walker has a sophomore slump? He should get better but not on prime Rudy's level on either end of the court yet. I do think he has more promise on offense than Rudy did but not all promise is realized.

I'm currently higher on Keyonte than I thought I would be but Donovan had everything break right for him his rookie year.

We are getting way over skis right now. I love Kessler and Key but they are still very unproven. If they can get to the point that they are 75% of Rudy and Mitchell then we are going to be really really good though with the surrounding pieces being so much better. If somehow they get to 100% of those guys then I think dynasty is a real possibility.

Actually players who violently flame out in Summer league really have a hard time making it in the NBA. A bad game or two, sure, but consistently bad? There should be warning bells. Summer league success for teenagers probably has a pretty decent track record as well

Actually players who violently flame out in Summer league really have a hard time making it in the NBA. A bad game or two, sure, but consistently bad? There should be warning bells. Summer league success for teenagers probably has a pretty decent track record as well
I think flaming out is a decent warning sign but not foolproof by any means. Summer league numbers being good or bad has a spotty track record. I will take good over bad of course. Keyonte's numbers aren't just good though... they are bonkers (in Vegas anyway)... which is why we need him to keep playing. If he continues down this road I think you need to make plans to trim the roster a bit and make his road to playing time a bit easier. Not saying he needs to be the starter day one... but he needs to be an every night rotation guy if he continues anything similar to what he is doing. Trade one of THT or Sexton and make sure he can get 15-20 minutes a night. Dunn can be the fall back plan if Key ends up sucking.