What's new

KG3 / Kessler = Young Don / Rudy?

And I do think Vernon Carey could potentially be a really solid 3rd big type center if he just focused on getting in insane shape and dominating' teh glass/paint. He was a top ranked HS recruit and he killed it at Duke w/ pretty insane stats.

If I was him I wouldnt come into a SL trying to shoot 3's. I'd try to show that I'm a beast in the paint because that's what teams want out of a 3rd big, not a guy who is going to shoot 25% from 3 on moderate attempts (what his G-League 3pt stats are). So it might not be the difference between him being David Robsinon, but it might be the difference in him getting a long-term NBA contract that pays millions vs being in/out of the league on non-guaranteed deals.

And I do think Vernon Carey could potentially be a really solid 3rd big type center if he just focused on getting in insane shape and dominating' teh glass/paint. He was a top ranked HS recruit and he killed it at Duke w/ pretty insane stats.

If I was him I wouldnt come into a SL trying to shoot 3's. I'd try to show that I'm a beast in the paint because that's what teams want out of a 3rd big, not a guy who is going to shoot 25% from 3 on moderate attempts (what his G-League 3pt stats are). So it might not be the difference between him being David Robsinon, but it might be the difference in him getting a long-term NBA contract that pays millions vs being in/out of the league on non-guaranteed deals.
I think Carey vs kessler is kinda apples to oranges.
Was Carey a rookie of the year candidate? Has he ever had a year in the nba as good as kessler did last year? Can you post an example of a big whose game is like Gobert, Kessler, deandre jordan, jarrett allen, etc who started shooting 3 pointers and ruined their career? If so, then that would be a good example of your concern for Kessler working on his outside shot. Im doubting that you can provide an example though. I cant think of anyone.

Maybe Carey is shooting threes because his current skillset has got him nowhere in the nba so far. idk I assume coaches and agents and whatnot also give these guys specific things to work on.
Like i dont think Kessler is working on his outside game against his coaches wishes. Quite the opposite in fact. Kessler seems pretty coachable. I bet despite what hardy said in the past that Hardy is encouraging kessler to try to expand his game.

Last edited:
I think Carey vs kessler is kinda apples to oranges.
Was Carey a rookie of the year candidate? Has he ever had a year in the nba as good as kessler did last year? Can you post an example of a big whose game is like Gobert, Kessler, deandre jordan, jarrett allen, etc who started shooting 3 pointers and ruined their career? If so, then that would be a good example of your concern for Kessler working on his outside shot. Im doubting that you can provide an example though. I cant think of anyone.

Maybe Carey is shooting threes because his current skillset has got him nowhere in the nba so far. idk I assume coaches and agents and whatnot also give these guys specific things to work on.
Like i dont think Kessler is working on his outside game against his coaches wishes. Quite the opposite in fact. Kessler seems pretty coachable. I bet despite what hardy said in the past that Hardy is encouraging kessler to try to expand his game.
Proof is in the pudding brother. Hardy said what he said for a reason. Kind of lulzy to try and talk yourself out of his clear intention. And stop putting words in my mouth. I never said I was concerned with him practicing 3s.

And please stop talking to me about "my concern". It's what Hardy said. Talk to him about it if you want an argument. I'm just relaying what he said to inform the forum.

It's what Hardy said. Ask him. It makes sense to me. Some guys just focus too much on shooting rather than their strengths
Yeah but his assertion is suspect. I've seen way more careers helped by developing a shot than hurt by it. Feels like an excuse.

Yeah but his assertion is suspect. I've seen way more careers helped by developing a shot than hurt by it. Feels like an excuse.
I think the reality is that the careers that were ruined by it are going to be names you don't recognize because their careers got hurt

Maybe it was a hyperbole. Idk it's not something I'm overly invested in to research the level of his claim, but to me it pretty clearly was aimed at Walker (I recall Andy Larsen saying this as well as I believe it was in response to something about Walker and shooting, but could be wrong).

I just don't see Hardy allowing Walker to shoot much unless he proves to be high level at it. I highly doubt he is there next year.

I think the reality is that the careers that were ruined by it are going to be names you don't recognize because their careers got hurt

Maybe it was a hyperbole. Idk it's not something I'm overly invested in to research the level of his claim, but to me it pretty clearly was aimed at Walker (I recall Andy Larsen saying this as well as I believe it was in response to something about Walker and shooting, but could be wrong).

I just don't see Hardy allowing Walker to shoot much unless he proves to be high level at it. I highly doubt he is there next year.
Oh I have no doubt it was aimed at Walker and he has zero intention of letting him shoot. I just find that sad and frustrating. Could also be a reason for a young player with hopes of becoming something more looking for a way out. And fully agree Walker isn't there yet. But most everyone who develops a skill gains confidence by using that skill in game situations. It's literally how all of us learned basketball.

Oh I have no doubt it was aimed at Walker and he has zero intention of letting him shoot. I just find that sad and frustrating. Could also be a reason for a young player with hopes of becoming something more looking for a way out. And fully agree Walker isn't there yet. But most everyone who develops a skill gains confidence by using that skill in game situations. It's literally how all of us learned basketball.
It is a real judgement call. Some guys get so wrapped up in trying to do something that they will never be good at that it detracts from who they are and what makes them good. On the other hand, guys like Brook Lopez work at it and develop in a way that makes them way more valuable. The problem is that coaches tend to ask players to focus on skills that fit with the immediate needs of the team and existing players, not necessarily what might be good long term.

Proof is in the pudding brother. Hardy said what he said for a reason. Kind of lulzy to try and talk yourself out of his clear intention. And stop putting words in my mouth. I never said I was concerned with him practicing 3s.

And please stop talking to me about "my concern". It's what Hardy said. Talk to him about it if you want an argument. I'm just relaying what he said to inform the forum.
So you think kessler is doing the opposite of what hardy wants him to do then. Ok. Agree to disagree.

Man, you love just saying stuff.
Posting stuff, but ya. And according to your post count we have that in common. I think you are just sweet on me and this is your way of showing. Im flattered.

It is a real judgement call. Some guys get so wrapped up in trying to do something that they will never be good at that it detracts from who they are and what makes them good. On the other hand, guys like Brook Lopez work at it and develop in a way that makes them way more valuable. The problem is that coaches tend to ask players to focus on skills that fit with the immediate needs of the team and existing players, not necessarily what might be good long term.
Agreed. It just gets really frustrating to watch Walker stand all alone at the top of the key looking for someone to pass to or waiting for the handoff while his man sags 10 feet off him to cover the passing lanes and he isn't allowed to just shoot the damn thing. That's all I'd like to see. I don't want him to have the full green light that Clarkson or Lauri does but in those situations why not let him shoot it now and then.