What's new

KG3 / Kessler = Young Don / Rudy?

Not to mention... what if Walker has a sophomore slump? He should get better but not on prime Rudy's level on either end of the court yet. I do think he has more promise on offense than Rudy did but not all promise is realized.

I'm currently higher on Keyonte than I thought I would be but Donovan had everything break right for him his rookie year.
I would be shocked if Walker is ever as good as Gobert was offensively. People like to forget Gobert is an all-time great offensive player (at what he did from an efficiency standpoint)

The hope is that his weaknesses are less easy to leverage against the team along with the team being better equipped to handle dealing with those strategies (aka benching him in favor of small lineups headlined by Lauri/Collins/Hendricks.

honestly, basically every stat outside of blocked shots. this would include both counting stats and advanced stats
Gobert is litteraly rated as the best offensive basketball player in the history of the NBA and he is asking for stats to prove Rudy is better than Walker.

jesus

I would be shocked if Walker is ever as good as Gobert was offensively. People like to forget Gobert is an all-time great offensive player (at what he did from an efficiency standpoint)

The hope is that his weaknesses are less easy to leverage against the team along with the team being better equipped to handle dealing with those strategies (aka benching him in favor of small lineups headlined by Lauri/Collins/Hendricks.
I would be shocked if Kessler isn't a better offensive player than Gobert's peak within the next few years. He is already pretty elite at finishing at the rim and I expect him to begin to show some range this season. If he can become a consistent floor spacer to go along with his current finishing around the rim then he is going to be one hell of a player.

Gobert is litteraly rated as the best offensive basketball player in the history of the NBA and he is asking for stats to prove Rudy is better than Walker.

jesus

You can't possibly believe what you are saying. Do you honestly believe Clint Capela is the second best offensive player and Deandre Jordan the 7th?

You can't possibly believe what you are saying. Do you honestly believe Clint Capela is the second best offensive player and Deandre Jordan the 7th?
I'm not saying it, the stats are.

Are those stats bias towards these rim running finishers? Yes, but even if you want to remove all those types from this and make them their own separate thing, he is still the best in that group.

So unless you really think Walker is going to transcend that group and become a skill based offensive weapon (which if you do, fair, I'm excited to see it) I think it's insane to think he will ever outclass Gobert.

jesus

The fact that Capela and Deandre Jordan are both in the top 10 does make this a little suspect, but I agree with your larger point. We were always better offensively with Gobert on the floor and the stats back that up, both career and season to season.

This is just dumb. Rudy was efficient. Great. Because he could dunk. What did that ever do for us in the playoffs? He had zero offensive moves or game and was a slightly upgraded version of Deandre Jordan (lifetime .645 TS% compared to Rudy’s .656).And fwiw, his first few years in the league, Rudy’s TS% was .507, .627, and .582. Then .681. Then .657…

Kessler’s TS% last year was .702 with a per 36 of 14.4 points per game. I say the per 36 because he didn’t start for much of the season. To suggest Rudy is some offensive savant whose greatness Kessler will struggle to ever meet is ****ing laughable. Rudy was a ****ing no show on offense when it mattered. He was no threat and not even a semblance of a threat. The only people who think otherwise are deluded Jazz fans who have no ability to be objective.

And oh yeah, that great TWolves team that you said was to be last season because of Rudy really worked out well.

Last edited:
The fact that Capela and Deandre Jordan are both in the top 10 does make this a little suspect, but I agree with your larger point. We were always better offensively with Gobert on the floor and the stats back that up, both career and season to season.

Who was the alternative? Dok? It’s not really saying much.

I'm not saying it, the stats are.

Are those stats bias towards these rim running finishers? Yes, but even if you want to remove all those types from this and make them their own separate thing, he is still the best in that group.

So unless you really think Walker is going to transcend that group and become a skill based offensive weapon (which if you do, fair, I'm excited to see it) I think it's insane to think he will ever outclass Gobert.

Kessler put up a 140 ORtg last season.

This is just dumb. Rudy was efficient. Great. Because he could dunk. What did that ever do for us in the playoffs? He had zero offensive moves or game and was a slightly upgraded version of Deandre Jordan (lifetime .645 TS% compared to Rudy’s .656).And fwiw, his first few years in the league, Rudy’s TS% was .507, .627, and .582. Then .681. Then .657…

Kessler’s TS% last year was .702 with a per 36 of 14.4 points per game. I say the per 35 because he didn’t start for much of the season. To suggest Rudy is some offensive savant whose greatness Kessler will struggle to ever meet is ****ing laughable. Rudy was a ****ing no show on offense when it mattered. He was no threat and not even a semblance of a threat. The only people who think otherwise are deluded Jazz fans who have no ability to be objective.

And oh yeah, that great TWolves team that you said was to be last season because of Rudy really worked out well.
Like I said, Gobert is the best all time at what he did from an efficiency standpoint. He also drew fouls like crazy. So to say Kessler will be better offensively Gobert you are saying he will be the most efficient rim runner of all time or you think he will develop some kind of offensive game that will fault him over what Gobert did despite being less efficient.

I honestly think there are many people who follow the Jazz and know more about the Jazz that most other NBA fans that don't truly understand how good Walker Kessler is going to be.

My main question for everyone is what do we actually think Walker's offensive development will look like?

Will it mirror Gobert's where he is completely focused on the core of what he does well (with a little bit of experimentation thrown in to keep him happy) or will he make some kind of large skill development leap (as in consistent post-ups every game, a mid-range jumper, a dribble drive game, a 3pt shot, etc)?

jesus

Clint capela, steven adams and deandre jordan are some more offensive juggernauts I guess.

My main question for everyone is what do we actually think Walker's offensive development will look like?

Will it mirror Gobert's where he is completely focused on the core of what he does well (with a little bit of experimentation thrown in to keep him happy) or will he make some kind of large skill development leap (as in consistent post-ups every game, a mid-range jumper, a dribble drive game, a 3pt shot, etc)?

There’s no way we could know that. I hope he develops all facets of his game. Practice without limits.

Kessler’s TS% last year was .702 with a per 36 of 14.4 points per game. I say the per 36 because he didn’t start for much of the season. To suggest Rudy is some offensive savant whose greatness Kessler will struggle to ever meet is ****ing laughable. Rudy was a ****ing no show on offense when it mattered. He was no threat and not even a semblance of a threat. The only people who think otherwise are deluded Jazz fans who have no ability to be objective.

Ya I think that stat for those guys is more about the teammates, system, and coaching than the player.