What's new

Kris Dunn

Lets say the trade is Hughes for Dunn... with no draft compensation going either place (I think we could get a second rounder in the deal).

It comes down to the difference of would you rather pay $20M ish for Dunn or $8M ish for Hughes. You could also cut some money elsewhere if you made this type of deal... but we could do that either way by waiving Oni and Brantley and carrying 13 guys for the maximum allotted time during the season. You churn 10 day guys in this case and get to mine for gold a bit.

$12M is a lot... but the mega markets are paying six figure tax bills to win a title. We have about as good of a shot at a title as we will ever have... I would likely do it. I think you can find 10 minutes in the regular rotation by cutting a few minutes from Ingles, Mike, and Royce... then you can find even more when one of those guys are load managed. If it isn't having any effect you abandon a $12M experiment. If it works well you have some optionality to move on from JC and get yourself something different and maybe get some salary flexibility in the process.

I love Butler and would like to see him out there some... the Dunn deal has some upside though that is tantalizing and relying on rookies is a dangerous game. If Dunn comes in healthy and gets on the floor for Boston he quickly becomes an asset at his price and contract duration. I have a hard time seeing us do any better with our TPE than Dunn.

In either case I would cut Brantley and look to dump Hughes and sign someone else to a minimum. I'd consider waiving Oni if you couldn't dump Hughes. I just don't see any upside to having those guys on one year deals with what they have shown thus far. I'd rather get solid vets on 1+1 deals like Darius Miller or take a flier on Frankie Smokes... but I definitely get a team option on the second year if I go this route.

You looked up the Woj tweet… which comes from Jackson’s agent… I looked for 30 seconds and you can see a post from a clips writer stating that they aren’t sure what role he will have after being benched in the playoffs and the new addition. It matters because you keep saying that it’s different than a Dunn acquisition because he had a clear role…HE DID NOT. It’s obvious they brought him back because it was a minimum and they figured why not since it’s a minimum. He was in and out of the rotation to start the season. They signed ****ing Patrick Patterson before him. If he was offered more than the minimum elsewhere the clips were going to let him walk… the assessment becomes very similar to what we are doing with Dunn… “Do we really want to pay a player 5M who isn’t going to have an obvious role and is insurance?”.

We shall see what happens… I’m good either way and think the Jazz did much more to address needs than you think. Am not concerned about usage and role for Gay. He is a much better player than Niang. Niang was solid on defense but not forceful at all… in the playoffs he wasn’t nearly as good and his one dimensional nature caught up with him. The clips series was a disaster for him. Gay gives us the option to replace an additional 5 or so Bogey minutes as well. The main lineup is one of the best lineups in basketball, but when 40% of that lineup is hurt to a point they probably shouldn’t play they will be significantly worse. Every move on the margins can have a big impact.

We shall see.

It means nothing because whether or not Jackson had a clear role or not, it has nothing to do with Dunn. If I listed out vets that didn't seem to have a role and never ended up having a role does that really make a difference? Likewise I could list out younger players that didn't have a role who ended up with a role. You can find an anecdotal example or counter example for anythign. Whether or not Jackson truly had a role or not does not influence my thinking here.

As for the question of do we really want to pay a player $5M who doesn't have a role? That is not something I can answer. It's not my money. I've said it over and over. I don't really care if Ryan Smith spends his own money. But I'm at the point with Dunn that independent of money, I'd rather have a younger player instead. Sacrificing offense for defense is something I think we should do, but I don't think Quin will play someone who can't shoot. Dunn has established himself on the defensive end but he's also established himself as someone who can't shoot. I believe in Oni's shot more, which is why he has a more realistic pathway to playing. Either way, I don't really mind. It's a tossup and I'm not paying for it. The actual decision makers will have to pay for it, however, and I think you can see how slanted that decision comes.

Better health will help for sure. If that's what pushes us over the edge, maybe this issue was never a big deal in the first place. I'm more skeptical because the guys who injured were bad in the first place and when they missed games a better defender (Ingles) was playing instead of them. In the final two games we got blasted with our best players on the court. Ultimately I believe talent will win out and am hopeful Gay will be an upgrade at both the backup 4&5 at a minimum. He will help and that matters, but the key issue I see with our main lineup persists.

We'll see. I've been on record saying that if Quin was a better coach, we would have easily beaten the Clippers given the respective injury situations. I don't think we maximized the talent available and hopefully we have better health, but this year will also be a much different challenge. Even if we are significantly better, I think the competition will be better in a (hopefully) non covid year.

Lets say the trade is Hughes for Dunn... with no draft compensation going either place (I think we could get a second rounder in the deal).

It comes down to the difference of would you rather pay $20M ish for Dunn or $8M ish for Hughes. You could also cut some money elsewhere if you made this type of deal... but we could do that either way by waiving Oni and Brantley and carrying 13 guys for the maximum allotted time during the season. You churn 10 day guys in this case and get to mine for gold a bit.

$12M is a lot... but the mega markets are paying six figure tax bills to win a title. We have about as good of a shot at a title as we will ever have... I would likely do it. I think you can find 10 minutes in the regular rotation by cutting a few minutes from Ingles, Mike, and Royce... then you can find even more when one of those guys are load managed. If it isn't having any effect you abandon a $12M experiment. If it works well you have some optionality to move on from JC and get yourself something different and maybe get some salary flexibility in the process.

I love Butler and would like to see him out there some... the Dunn deal has some upside though that is tantalizing and relying on rookies is a dangerous game. If Dunn comes in healthy and gets on the floor for Boston he quickly becomes an asset at his price and contract duration. I have a hard time seeing us do any better with our TPE than Dunn.

In either case I would cut Brantley and look to dump Hughes and sign someone else to a minimum. I'd consider waiving Oni if you couldn't dump Hughes. I just don't see any upside to having those guys on one year deals with what they have shown thus far. I'd rather get solid vets on 1+1 deals like Darius Miller or take a flier on Frankie Smokes... but I definitely get a team option on the second year if I go this route.
I think shaving a few minutes from Royce is also an important part. He can play in that role. Royce played 38 minutes in the Clippers series. That's not necessarily bad, but give a few minutes to Dunn to keep Royce fresh and keep him guarding the guys he should be guarding rather than burning that energy on guys that aren't the ideal defensive match for him. Doing that would make us look better both on the small perimeter guys + better on the guys Royce guards because he can focus his efforts more specifically.

We'll see. I've been on record saying that if Quin was a better coach, we would have easily beaten the Clippers given the respective injury situations. I don't think we maximized the talent available and hopefully we have better health, but this year will also be a much different challenge. Even if we are significantly better, I think the competition will be better in a (hopefully) non covid year.
I think the roster flexibility was one decent sized variable in why we lost the Clippers series. I think health is another. Coaching is the third side of this that I find inexcusable because I don't believe the first two issues alone were enough to have us flame out the way we did. Better coaching gets us at least to game 7. At minimum.

I think the roster flexibility was one decent sized variable in why we lost the Clippers series. I think health is another. Coaching is the third side of this that I find inexcusable because I don't believe the first two issues alone were enough to have us flame out the way we did. Better coaching gets us at least to game 7. At minimum.

As bad as it was, if we replay that series starting at 2-2 I think we win 8/10 times. If Quin was a better coach I think we should win close to every time.

I do think we need more roster versatility...I think we need it to a much larger degree. Having and Ersan or Oni type in your back pocket is one thing, but it would be different if you had a guy at Clarkson's level to go to instead of Bogey (or vice versa). I'm not against Dunn or the smaller moves...but it is a lot of $$$ so I don't really see it happening. I just really wanted the big move this year.

As bad as it was, if we replay that series starting at 2-2 I think we win 8/10 times. If Quin was a better coach I think we should win close to every time.

I do think we need more roster versatility...I think we need it to a much larger degree. Having and Ersan or Oni type in your back pocket is one thing, but it would be different if you had a guy at Clarkson's level to go to instead of Bogey (or vice versa). I'm not against Dunn or the smaller moves...but it is a lot of $$$ so I don't really see it happening. I just really wanted the big move this year.
Yeah, I don't think the odds of us losing that series was that high and you'd likely have a different outcome if you were to play it again. Quin's a good coach, but there are some glaring blind spots. Between DL's stupidity and the health issues, it allowed the stars to align to put Quin in a position to **** it up. And he ****ed it up. I don't expect him to change much (I would hope so, but I'm not getting my hopes up), so the hope is to have enough good play over 43 minutes that we can keep Quin out of those situations.

It means nothing because whether or not Jackson had a clear role or not, it has nothing to do with Dunn. If I listed out vets that didn't seem to have a role and never ended up having a role does that really make a difference? Likewise I could list out younger players that didn't have a role who ended up with a role. You can find an anecdotal example or counter example for anythign. Whether or not Jackson truly had a role or not does not influence my thinking here.

As for the question of do we really want to pay a player $5M who doesn't have a role? That is not something I can answer. It's not my money. I've said it over and over. I don't really care if Ryan Smith spends his own money. But I'm at the point with Dunn that independent of money, I'd rather have a younger player instead. Sacrificing offense for defense is something I think we should do, but I don't think Quin will play someone who can't shoot. Dunn has established himself on the defensive end but he's also established himself as someone who can't shoot. I believe in Oni's shot more, which is why he has a more realistic pathway to playing. Either way, I don't really mind. It's a tossup and I'm not paying for it. The actual decision makers will have to pay for it, however, and I think you can see how slanted that decision comes.

Better health will help for sure. If that's what pushes us over the edge, maybe this issue was never a big deal in the first place. I'm more skeptical because the guys who injured were bad in the first place and when they missed games a better defender (Ingles) was playing instead of them. In the final two games we got blasted with our best players on the court. Ultimately I believe talent will win out and am hopeful Gay will be an upgrade at both the backup 4&5 at a minimum. He will help and that matters, but the key issue I see with our main lineup persists.

Examples are important and RJ is a clear example of a guy coming in that is a "non-key" guy to start the season that becomes a key player. If they don't add Batum or Jackson we win that series no sweat. I don't know that before the season you would look at the clippers roster and say "Batum and RJ are key guys to where this team ends up in the post season". Which is likely to be the case if we brought Dunn in. I'm more irked that I give an example and you do "well actually that's not a good example" and it clearly is... then we go to "well examples don't matter". Okay.

You just don't like Dunn which is fine. You maybe should just start with I don't like Dunn... but its weird to go "meh" on Dunn while singing the praises of Kyle Anderson... you know they are approximately the same type of shooters right? Going from Bogey to Anderson is a huge, huge downgrade in shooting that will be felt for sure. If Mike and Don are so bad on defense will it really matter that he gets 30 minutes while Dunn would only get 15 maybe? If Quin is not going to play non-shooters like Dunn 15 minutes a game to spell Joe/Mike/Royce/DM... is he really gonna be excited about Anderson's iffy shooting in his "key" lineups. Dunn and Anderson are different defenders for sure but they both do similar things we need help with.

The money matters but if Ryan is presented with a sure opportunity to piss $7-8M down the drain with Hughes or place a $20M bet with a much higher potential to get an on court return then he might be persuaded.

Examples are important and RJ is a clear example of a guy coming in that is a "non-key" guy to start the season that becomes a key player. If they don't add Batum or Jackson we win that series no sweat. I don't know that before the season you would look at the clippers roster and say "Batum and RJ are key guys to where this team ends up in the post season". Which is likely to be the case if we brought Dunn in. I'm more irked that I give an example and you do "well actually that's not a good example" and it clearly is... then we go to "well examples don't matter". Okay.

You just don't like Dunn which is fine. You maybe should just start with I don't like Dunn... but its weird to go "meh" on Dunn while singing the praises of Kyle Anderson... you know they are approximately the same type of shooters right? Going from Bogey to Anderson is a huge, huge downgrade in shooting that will be felt for sure. If Mike and Don are so bad on defense will it really matter that he gets 30 minutes while Dunn would only get 15 maybe? If Quin is not going to play non-shooters like Dunn 15 minutes a game to spell Joe/Mike/Royce/DM... is he really gonna be excited about Anderson's iffy shooting in his "key" lineups. Dunn and Anderson are different defenders for sure but they both do similar things we need help with.

The money matters but if Ryan is presented with a sure opportunity to piss $7-8M down the drain with Hughes or place a $20M bet with a much higher potential to get an on court return then he might be persuaded.
Nah... his moaning has the be tldr.

I still don't think it's a great example, especially because he already played a role for them the year prior. The main difference I see is that as a player, I believe RJ is more established than Dunn. So even if there wasn't PT for him (there was), I think of them as different players. If we had kept Niang and brought in Gay, it doesn't change my belief that Niang is a rotation player. My opinion of Niang is completely independent of whether or not we have Rudy Gay...but his minutes are not. Likewise my opinion of RJ is independent of whether they brought in Kennard or not.

I've also never had this "we have enough" attitude that you seem to have a problem with. I've acknowledged that it's probably tough from a money standpoint, but I do not care about the money. I have said that I don't like Dunn so many times. I don't know how many times I have to repeat it, but I guess I have to do it more : ) I get the appeal. I really wanted him last year. But with his injury, seeing how defense is evolving, and tight roster spot situation....I've gotten lower on him.

Independent of money I'd rather give the spot to a younger guy and put in one more lottery ticket to find the next Mann. That's why I'd personally pass on Dunn. It's not because we have enough, it's not because of the money, it's because I have more belief in the young players. The roster spot really comes down to Oni/Brantley (I actually think Brantley > Oni), but I will admit that my optimism on Butler/Forrest is also a factor here. I want to see them get time. I know you didn't want to block Doke from minutes, that's a factor for me here too. I don't see Dunn as a true alternative to JC where they would actually be competing for minutes. I think he would only get minutes if there was injury...and if that comes around I'd want to see Butler/Forrest get that chance.

I'm very high on Anderson and don't see him in the same tier as Dunn. They aren't close as shooters and definitely not as total offensive players. I'd be a little skeptical of Anderson's shooting as well, it is a big drop off from Bogey. Shooting is so important and that's why I was high on a certain backup PF lol. But Anderson is still a good offensive players in the other areas. He's a great passer, good ball handler, solid around the basket, great in the mid range. I honestly think he had one of the most underrated seasons in the league last year and I think he could get even better playing around our spacing.

I still don't think it's a great example, especially because he already played a role for them the year prior. The main difference I see is that as a player, I believe RJ is more established than Dunn. So even if there wasn't PT for him (there was), I think of them as different players. If we had kept Niang and brought in Gay, it doesn't change my belief that Niang is a rotation player. My opinion of Niang is completely independent of whether or not we have Rudy Gay...but his minutes are not. Likewise my opinion of RJ is independent of whether they brought in Kennard or not.

I've also never had this "we have enough" attitude that you seem to have a problem with. I've acknowledged that it's probably tough from a money standpoint, but I do not care about the money. I have said that I don't like Dunn so many times. I don't know how many times I have to repeat it, but I guess I have to do it more : ) I get the appeal. I really wanted him last year. But with his injury, seeing how defense is evolving, and tight roster spot situation....I've gotten lower on him.

Independent of money I'd rather give the spot to a younger guy and put in one more lottery ticket to find the next Mann. That's why I'd personally pass on Dunn. It's not because we have enough, it's not because of the money, it's because I have more belief in the young players. The roster spot really comes down to Oni/Brantley (I actually think Brantley > Oni), but I will admit that my optimism on Butler/Forrest is also a factor here. I want to see them get time. I know you didn't want to block Doke from minutes, that's a factor for me here too. I don't see Dunn as a true alternative to JC where they would actually be competing for minutes. I think he would only get minutes if there was injury...and if that comes around I'd want to see Butler/Forrest get that chance.

I'm very high on Anderson and don't see him in the same tier as Dunn. They aren't close as shooters and definitely not as total offensive players. I'd be a little skeptical of Anderson's shooting as well, it is a big drop off from Bogey. Shooting is so important and that's why I was high on a certain backup PF lol. But Anderson is still a good offensive players in the other areas. He's a great passer, good ball handler, solid around the basket, great in the mid range. I honestly think he had one of the most underrated seasons in the league last year and I think he could get even better playing around our spacing.
Okay... so one player that has shot a career 30.5% on 3 pointers on extremely low volume is not close to a guy that has shot a career 33.5% on 3s over an extremely low volume... you are right Anderson is a flame thrower. They have the same free throw percentage.

Dunn is a good passer too... he's a good ball handler too... he has a way higher assist numbers in part because he plays point guard a lot... but why is that the differentiator for Anderson? Anderson is better than Dunn but the reasons you mention aren't great cases as differentiators. Kyle had a great year... he is just as likely to return to 30% 3 point shooting as he is to shooting 36% again imo. If more of Dunn's attempts came off catch and shoot they might very well be identical. The biggest differentiator is health and position... but those are the reasons one of them isn't gettable and the other you would likely get a small asset to take on.

We can go dumpster diving for the next Mann but that is something that has a much higher likelihood of panning out at or during the draft. Oni, Morgan, Brantley, Hughes won't be that guy... getting a flier on a young guy is a MUCH better proposition with talent that is drafted 31-45 in the second round... right now all that is available are unsigned undrafted guys and guys that get cut in other situations. That talent pool is more limited than it was a month ago... good luck.

Okay... so one player that has shot a career 30.5% on 3 pointers on extremely low volume is not close to a guy that has shot a career 33.5% on 3s over an extremely low volume... you are right Anderson is a flame thrower. They have the same free throw percentage.

Dunn is a good passer too... he's a good ball handler too... he has a way higher assist numbers in part because he plays point guard a lot... but why is that the differentiator for Anderson? Anderson is better than Dunn but the reasons you mention aren't great cases as differentiators. Kyle had a great year... he is just as likely to return to 30% 3 point shooting as he is to shooting 36% again imo. If more of Dunn's attempts came off catch and shoot they might very well be identical. The biggest differentiator is health and position... but those are the reasons one of them isn't gettable and the other you would likely get a small asset to take on.

We can go dumpster diving for the next Mann but that is something that has a much higher likelihood of panning out at or during the draft. Oni, Morgan, Brantley, Hughes won't be that guy... getting a flier on a young guy is a MUCH better proposition with talent that is drafted 31-45 in the second round... right now all that is available are unsigned undrafted guys and guys that get cut in other situations. That talent pool is more limited than it was a month ago... good luck.

You don't need to tell me about small sample size shooting and regressing to the mean. I didn't forget the Shaq Harrison discussions lol.

Anderson did have a great year and compared to Dunn he was a flamethrower last year. 36% on 5 attempts per36 is really solid. It might fall off, but I feel good about his shot because of his volume and also the fact that he's been really good from mid range. It always felt like a confidence issue with him because his touch was always really good.

Even if his jumper falls off, I feel really good about his ability to attack closeouts because he's good as a scorer/passer once he puts the ball on the floor. He really excels when the defense is in rotation. Even though Royce is probably a better shooter, I kicking the ball to Anderson because he's so good at making plays against a scrambling defense. Besides being 6'9 he's just a much different offensive player than Dunn. Dunn is used to having the ball in his hands a lot, Anderson is much more of a wing who excels in the flow of an offense.

Look...I don't think it's terrible if we go after Dunn (again, not my money). I feel pretty good about our young PGs. If we decided to go after Dunn, no big deal. I kinda wish we would have just rolled with Paschall+Doke as C's, but it doesn't really bother me that we signed Whiteside. Dunn isn't a terrible bet, but if you want to dump a young player...I do like Stanley Johnson a little better. Equally as awful offensively as Dunn, but I prefer his defensive size and he wouldn't get in the way of Butler/Forrest. I won't lose sleep if they choose Dunn, Johnson, or do nothing. Doing nothing is a bet on the young players and I think that's just fine.

You don't need to tell me about small sample size shooting and regressing to the mean. I didn't forget the Shaq Harrison discussions lol.

Anderson did have a great year and compared to Dunn he was a flamethrower last year. 36% on 5 attempts per36 is really solid. It might fall off, but I feel good about his shot because of his volume and also the fact that he's been really good from mid range. It always felt like a confidence issue with him because his touch was always really good.

Even if his jumper falls off, I feel really good about his ability to attack closeouts because he's good as a scorer/passer once he puts the ball on the floor. He really excels when the defense is in rotation. Even though Royce is probably a better shooter, I kicking the ball to Anderson because he's so good at making plays against a scrambling defense. Besides being 6'9 he's just a much different offensive player than Dunn. Dunn is used to having the ball in his hands a lot, Anderson is much more of a wing who excels in the flow of an offense.

Look...I don't think it's terrible if we go after Dunn (again, not my money). I feel pretty good about our young PGs. If we decided to go after Dunn, no big deal. I kinda wish we would have just rolled with Paschall+Doke as C's, but it doesn't really bother me that we signed Whiteside. Dunn isn't a terrible bet, but if you want to dump a young player...I do like Stanley Johnson a little better. Equally as awful offensively as Dunn, but I prefer his defensive size and he wouldn't get in the way of Butler/Forrest. I won't lose sleep if they choose Dunn, Johnson, or do nothing. Doing nothing is a bet on the young players and I think that's just fine.
Anderson had a breakout year shooting but I doubt he gets to 36% this year... he also had his breakout year in his age 27 season... man what if we had added that guy last year before his breakout age 27 season... where he went from a career 31% shooter to a 36% shooter... there is no way old man Kris Dunn could duplicate that at the ripe old age of (checks google) age 27.

Look I would not predict it but Anderson's breakout likely has to do with shooting spot up threes working off of guys that kick the ball out to him and a coach that told him to shoot it. A much smaller percentage of Dunn's threes are assisted... so we don't know if he could hit some off ball. I would not bet on it... but his defense is borderline all-defense level. Stanley ain't there at all and we have guys to check the bigger wings... we need a guy that does what Dunn has already done and has established very clearly as a skill... even if its just for 10 minutes a night.

And then the bolded portion I love... in one post you do the "I've also never had this "we have enough" attitude that you seem to have a problem with." and then you literally say "do nothing... we are fine". I wonder where I came up with your "we have enough" attitude... lolz.

Anderson had a breakout year shooting but I doubt he gets to 36% this year... he also had his breakout year in his age 27 season... man what if we had added that guy last year before his breakout age 27 season... where he went from a career 31% shooter to a 36% shooter... there is no way old man Kris Dunn could duplicate that at the ripe old age of (checks google) age 27.

Look I would not predict it but Anderson's breakout likely has to do with shooting spot up threes working off of guys that kick the ball out to him and a coach that told him to shoot it. A much smaller percentage of Dunn's threes are assisted... so we don't know if he could hit some off ball. I would not bet on it... but his defense is borderline all-defense level. Stanley ain't there at all and we have guys to check the bigger wings... we need a guy that does what Dunn has already done and has established very clearly as a skill... even if its just for 10 minutes a night.

And then the bolded portion I love... in one post you do the "I've also never had this "we have enough" attitude that you seem to have a problem with." and then you literally say "do nothing... we are fine". I wonder where I came up with your "we have enough" attitude... lolz.

OK, you got me. You know what I meant. If we don't sign a different player, it's also actively taking a bet on the young players. I believe in Butler/Forrest and would like to give them the best chance to succeed. Signing Dunn would impede their progress. If that's what you have a problem with, I'm guilty. I just felt the same way about those guys as you felt about Doke.

Anderson's 3 point shooting is an outlier, but he did do it. I wouldn't believe he would be a solid 3 point shooter unless he did. If Dunn had a good shooting season on that volume I might believe it too, but he would need to do it first. Anderson has also been really great from mid range too. His assisted amount of 3's is higher than Dunn's, but also fairly low compared to other wings which is another reason why I have confidence in his shot. What if instead of 86% of 3's being assisted it was 98% like Royce?

Needless to say I'm very confident in Anderson and I think his type of defense is more important and his position is more crucial to our success.

OK, you got me. You know what I meant. If we don't sign a different player, it's also actively taking a bet on the young players. I believe in Butler/Forrest and would like to give them the best chance to succeed. Signing Dunn would impede their progress. If that's what you have a problem with, I'm guilty. I just felt the same way about those guys as you felt about Doke.

Anderson's 3 point shooting is an outlier, but he did do it. I wouldn't believe he would be a solid 3 point shooter unless he did. If Dunn had a good shooting season on that volume I might believe it too, but he would need to do it first. Anderson has also been really great from mid range too. His assisted amount of 3's is higher than Dunn's, but also fairly low compared to other wings which is another reason why I have confidence in his shot. What if instead of 86% of 3's being assisted it was 98% like Royce?

Needless to say I'm very confident in Anderson and I think his type of defense is more important and his position is more crucial to our success.
I was curious about Forrest, too... and interested in creating a lane for him to have an impact. But he is tucked away into a two-way slot, so that’s that.

I’m also curious about Butler as a defender. But the dude has obvi proven nothing and is at the bottom of the hill right now in terms of conditioning.

So…

I think if we’re going to make a move, this may actually be one of the few moves that has a chance of happening. A number of issues have to align, which do in this situation:

- We have nothing to offer besides salary relief (TPE).
- After turning TT into smaller contracts, and with signing Schröder, Dunn’s salary is best moved and they’re reportedly looking at that.
- We need a perimeter defender, but have limited resources to find one.
- Other potential targets are going to be valued much higher by their teams.
- There’s nobody on the scrap heap that we feel comfortable enough with that we’ve pursued (free agency).
- If we’re looking to move for a perimeter defender, with the minutes we have available it only makes sense if they’re really good at defense, rather than bringing in someone at the end of the bench who’s “kinda okay.”

tl;dr if there’s a move, I’d anticipate Dunn being a much higher likelihood candidate than anyone else we’ve discussed.

I was curious about Forrest, too... and interested in creating a lane for him to have an impact. But he is tucked away into a two-way slot, so that’s that.

I’m also curious about Butler as a defender. But the dude has obvi proven nothing and is at the bottom of the hill right now in terms of conditioning.
Butler becomes Neto (a solid and needed role that we’ve missed since we let him go) and Dunn is a utility player. If Quin actually tried to run him as a rotation PG I may vomit.

I really like Butler. It sucks that he's been on ice this summer, but he was the best guard in all of college basketball last year and has a very translatable NBA game. Two way player as well.

This is the answer. Right here.

This is the ultimate buy low that affords you the flexibility of keeping JC. You trade Oni and absorb the rest of salary as TPE. We’re trying to buy high on Smart. Imagine keeping everyone else in tact and adding poor man’s Smart.

buy-the-dip-buy-dip.gif

That highlight package is ****ing cray