What's new

Kyrie to Boston (Official)

#1 Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Nets pick.

#2 Kyrie Irving, Gordon Haywood, Marcus Morris.

Which option would you take?

The Nets pick swings it for me. I'm not saying the Celts needed to hold onto that pick, but I think they didn't get near enough value for it in trade. Crowder + IT + 2018 BK 1st is an overpay. Crowder + BK pick could have netted a player as good as Kyrie, and the Cs would still have IT to either re-sign or trade in another deal.

I guess we'll see how good Kyrie really is. I didn't think of him as a top-5 PG in general, and a few good playoff games doesn't change that for me. Kyrie is an elite downhill offensive player, but overall I think Lillard, Wall, Lowry or Bledsoe might look just as good playing next to Lebron. See what Kyrie looks like when he isn't playing off of LBJ's gravity.

My other peeve would be that the Celtics could have drafted an elite PG this year and next year drafted a forward who is as good as Tatum or an impact big. They're not beating the Warriors during the next 2 - 3 years, so they have time to develop young talent. Even if Brooklyn's pick slips into the 6 - 8 range, I like Miles Bridges and Kevin Knox as much as I like Tatum.

So looking at draft strategy, the Celtics missed out on Ball/Fultz/Smith Jr./Jackson for Tatum, and punted on a potential superstar in Bagley/Porter/Doncic/Ayton or at least a player like Bridges/Bamba/Knox.

They could have drafted another star to add to this mix below, and they would still have had multiple trade assets to improve even more.

Fultz/Thomas
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Crowder
Morris
Horford

I dont think so. They have a good defensive system and they still have some very good defensive players.

They were about average defensively last year and they lost their best 2 defenders. Horrible is probably exaggeration but I can see them being bottom 10.

My dream scenario: Boston has an ok season, Gordon's good in the regular season but Boston fans figure out he's not an Alpha and things get a little uncomfortable for Gord, Boston loses in the 2nd round to Washington as Hayward has a bad series. Boston sends Hayward/Lakers Pick/and other pieces to New Orleans for Davis.

They were about average defensively last year and they lost their best 2 defenders. Horrible is probably exaggeration but I can see them being bottom 10.

They were also one of the better defensive teams when IT wasnt on the court.

If Stevens can get Kyrie to play defensive with the same effort IT did, they will have an upgrade defensively at PG.

They were also one of the better defensive teams when IT wasnt on the court.

Yeah, but that was when the Cs had Bradley and Crowder, with Marcus Smart replacing IT. Now they don't have Bradley or Crowder, and Smart would still have to take Kyrie off the floor. The bet they're making is that Brown and Hayward are good defensive players, replacing what Bradley/Crowder gave them defensively. It's reasonable to expect that they'll take a step back if that doesn't quite pan out.

My dream scenario: Boston has an ok season, Gordon's good in the regular season but Boston fans figure out he's not an Alpha and things get a little uncomfortable for Gord, Boston loses in the 2nd round to Washington as Hayward has a bad series. Boston sends Hayward/Lakers Pick/and other pieces to New Orleans for Davis.

Would suck to be gordon.

Yeah, but that was when the Cs had Bradley and Crowder, with Marcus Smart replacing IT. Now they don't have Bradley or Crowder, and Smart would still have to take Kyrie off the floor. The bet they're making is that Brown and Hayward are good defensive players, replacing what Bradley/Crowder gave them defensively. It's reasonable to expect that they'll take a step back if that doesn't quite pan out.

Yeah but they have Hayward who is a pretty good defender, Jaylen Brown (who should be much better defender as he gets experience), and still have Smart. That's 3 really good perimeter defenders w/ length. They probably lost their defensive toughness/tenacity identity of being pest on-ball, but they can still be effective with their length.

I think they have enough capable defenders to be a league average defense.

And hot take, Gordon Hayward is better than Kyrie Irving and everyone is going to know it next year. Marketing wise this is a dream for Hayward as he gets to play next to one of the most marketable players in the NBA. It will get him way more exposure to young NBA fans (young kids ****ing worship Kyrie Irving).

It would also mean Hayward has a MVP type season because the Lakers pick only goes to Boston if it lands 2-5, which isnt good enough to get Davis.

The way that Atlanta, Indiana and Chicago are tanking this year, along with teams like Brooklyn, Phoenix and Orlando that just aren't good, the Celtics will need lottery luck to get the Lakers' pick. It's probably more likely they'll end up with Sacramento's pick in 2019, which might be in the 5 - 9 range.

So looking at draft strategy, the Celtics missed out on Ball/Fultz/Smith Jr./Jackson for Tatum,

I think you meant: "So looking at draft strategy, the Celtics missed out on Donavan Mitchell and some other guys for Tatum."

And hot take, Gordon Hayward is better than Kyrie Irving and everyone is going to know it next year. Marketing wise this is a dream for Hayward as he gets to play next to one of the most marketable players in the NBA. It will get him way more exposure to young NBA fans (young kids ****ing worship Kyrie Irving).

ya i think the bottom line is that if anything this will see Haywards individual numbers / accolades increase. But he's given away his prime years of possibly contending in a low pressure environment to what will now be probably be superb regular seasons with all star appearances etc but little chance of contending at a high level and a lot of pressure with each playoff exit. Wonder what he really thinks today.

So now this deal may be in danger. IT is damaged goods and I called it out during the FA period when Boston was like "IT... he fine". They overpaid to move him for Kyrie and now they may get back a gimpy IT and two pissed off players... Crowder is clearly a guy that carries a chip on his shoulder. I hope this deal gets nixed... would be so fun.

So now this deal may be in danger. IT is damaged goods and I called it out during the FA period when Boston was like "IT... he fine". They overpaid to move him for Kyrie and now they may get back a gimpy IT and two pissed off players... Crowder is clearly a guy that carries a chip on his shoulder. I hope this deal gets nixed... would be so fun.
It also might be a ploy to get more out of Boston

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah but they have Hayward who is a pretty good defender, Jaylen Brown (who should be much better defender as he gets experience), and still have Smart. That's 3 really good perimeter defenders w/ length. They probably lost their defensive toughness/tenacity identity of being pest on-ball, but they can still be effective with their length.

I think they have enough capable defenders to be a league average defense.

I don't think you can have an average defense with weak 1s and 5s (and average 2-4). 1s are critical to stopping the plethora of offensively elite PGs. And rim protection needed to pressure the perimeter and deny easy 3s. I think they wind up bottom 10, maybe bottom 5.

It also might be a ploy to get more out of Boston

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

It also might be that a guy who has a defect in his body that leads his labrum to tear is going to be a major injury risk this year and going forward. Dude needs his athleticism and this is a serious injury and he still can't run... supposedly. This cost Wilson Chandler like a year and a half almost. Dude probably needed surgery and they postponed it to help with recruiting and then ainge continued to downplay it and sell the cavs broken goods. I still think the deal goes through but two firsts, crowder and IT is a lot and I'd be happy to know how pissy it makes ainge to give up extra assets.

Cavs have most of the leverage. That pick is good but Bostons options are now to bring those guys back when they are likely beyond pissed... and IT is likely hobbled. I hope Gordon has a miserable year on the court and this would be a good start

So basically danny has to pony up another asset or take back a busted IT who may not be able to play and super pissed off Jae Crowder. I'll bet 10 minutes into training camp he hip checks Hayward into the wall.

I said all through the Hayward recruiting that I wondered why no one was really questioning if IT's injury is an issue.

I just love this so much Hayward traded Gobert, Rubio, Hood, DM, and Ingles for a Morris twin, broken IT, old Al Horford... but at least he got less money and made an *** of himself while making the transition.

Reactions: RJF
I just love this so much Hayward traded Gobert, Rubio, Hood, DM, and Ingles for a Morris twin, broken IT, old Al Horford... but at least he got less money and made an *** of himself while making the transition.

Lay off. The move was good for his career and family. Win Win Win Win Him, Family, Stevens, us.