What's new

Kyrie to Boston (Official)

This trade looks really bad for Celtics. They're killing the depth of their squad for a barely better offensive player. They also lose a potential 1st pick so they mortgage the future too.

Irving is not worth that much, he's a very one dimensional player with bad defense. Crowder was underrated, losing him will hurt too.

Plus, they help their main rival a lot by doing so, which is idiotic. Crowder and especially IT will look for revenge, they'll play 200 % when facing Celtics now.

This trade looks like a sure way to never get to the Finals. It looks really ugly from Celtics standpoint. Even is they somehow get to the Finals, there's like zero percent chance they can beat the Warriors with such a poor roster and zero real superstar, so what's the point ?

What's left now ? Big picks are gone (last one is top 5 protected...), all you got is young unproven players (Tatum, Brown) and a good but not so great core (Irving / Hayward / Horford) including an aging non rebounding big and a shoot 1st non defending player. How are they supposed to win a NBA title with that roster ? Only 4 guys coming back, no depth and a lot less defense with Bradley and Crowder gone... Things look bleak for them now.

Staying in Utah clearly looks like it would have been the better option for Gordon now... Too bad it's too late.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was thinking.

****, Benedict. Love this trade.

If you're the Cavs, would you try to go all-in and trade that Brooklyn pick and Tristan Thompson for Marc Gasol? He loves Memphis and may have a no-trade clause but to have a truly legit shot to win it all may sway Marc. Or is Lebron 100% gone after this year, making such a trade perhaps foolish?

Nah, Lebron isn't 100% gone. He is chasing legacy. He is chasing Jordan and the title of best all time. he will go to the team that has the best chance of giving him additional titles. Adding Marc Gasol to the current Cavs team would be a major statement and step in that direction.

Lebron/Gasol/IT > than LeBron/Love/IT. Plus their improved depth.

I'd try it.

This trade looks really bad for Celtics. They're killing the depth of their squad for a barely better offensive player. They also lose a potential 1st pick so they mortgage the future too.

Irving is not worth that much, he's a very one dimensional player with bad defense. Crowder was underrated, losing him will hurt too.

Plus, they help their main rival a lot by doing so, which is idiotic. Crowder and especially IT will look for revenge, they'll play 200 % when facing Celtics now.

This trade looks like a sure way to never get to the Finals. It looks really ugly from Celtics standpoint.

What's left now ? Big picks are gone (last one is top 5 protected...), all you got is young unproven players (Tatum, Brown) and a good but not so great core (Irving / Hayward / Horford) including an aging non rebounding big and a shoot 1st non defending player. How are they supposed to win a NBA title with that roster ? Only 4 guys coming back, no depth and a lot less defense with Bradley and Crowder gone...

Things look bleak for them now.

Staying in Utah clearly looks like the better option for Gordon now... Too bad it's too late.

Especially if all the implied things pan out. Like Favors return to form, Exum taking that big step forward and Mitchell being legit.

Trade Thompson and Shumpert or JR Smith and Brooklyn pick for Marc Gasol.

That team would look really effing good on paper and give them a legit shot to win it. I think it would also put more pressure on Lebron to stay and make him look awful if he chose to leave despite a really improved squad.

Nah, Lebron isn't 100% gone. He is chasing legacy. He is chasing Jordan and the title of best all time. he will go to the team that has the best chance of giving him additional titles. Adding Marc Gasol to the current Cavs team would be a major statement and step in that direction.

Lebron/Gasol/IT > than LeBron/Love/IT. Plus their improved depth.

I'd try it.

And they'd still have Love.

IT
Smith
Lebron-Crowder
Love
Gasol

You'd have that core six and I think you could start Crowder over Smith and have Lebron defend 2's. Or start Lebron at the 4 and Crowder at the 3 and have Love as your instant offense guy off the bench.

I rate Boston's offseason as a net negative. Hayward is a big upgrade, Morris is decent and Kyrie is a huge upgrade. But they gave up their heart in the process. Crowder and Bradley were fighters, and Olynyk played well for them.

Biggest winner:
Kyrie for getting what he wanted

Biggest loser:
Thomas

After advocating to get Hayward (which I saw would ultimately push Thomas out, just not this fast), Thomas goes to a team that may blow apart next year if LeBron leaves. Boston provided Thomas with his best chance for success where the offense gave him the ball. Now he will defer to LeBron. He won't see max money now.

It shows that Ainge will continue to move anyone if it makes his team better. Hayward may regret leaving in the long run.

And they'd still have Love.

IT
Smith
Lebron-Crowder
Love
Gasol

You'd have that core six and I think you could start Crowder over Smith and have Lebron defend 2's. Or start Lebron at the 4 and Crowder at the 3 and have Love as your instant offense guy off the bench.

Depending on the deal they very well could.

Having Gasol and Love on the floor will do wonders for their spacing, Not to mention JR Smith ( cant stand him) and Korver.

Having that line up would almost guarantee LeBron comes back IMO and clearly places them as the only real threat to the Warriors this season.

Trade Thompson and Shumpert or JR Smith and Brooklyn pick for Marc Gasol.

That team would look really effing good on paper and give them a legit shot to win it. I think it would also put more pressure on Lebron to stay and make him look awful if he chose to leave despite a really improved squad.

That would be bad IMO.

Thompson is too important to trade. Gasol is aging and lumbering and I dont think he is good for the GSW matchup. If you are getting a defensive liability (in terms of Warriors matchup, I know Gasol is a very smart and good defender, even as he moves past his prime) then I want to deal away Love instead. The thing that made Kyrie such a great player against the Warriors is that at his best he was an unstoppable scoring force. I think they need another player with that same type of skill where they can play like a top 5 player on any given night.

I still think the play is trading Love/Pick for Demarcus Cousins. Cousins has the same issues of being a somewhat lumbering bigman, but he provides similar high variance w/ elite ceiling production possibilities that Irving did. You also keep Thompson as your workhorse.

Lol what a downgrade for Haywood an Korie. IT is literally better at everthink then Korie an he is in his prime. Add in JC an the pick an this is straight up gran larceny. CLE jest became the odds leader watch the Vegas lines you will see.

#1 Isaiah Thomas, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Nets pick.

#2 Kyrie Irving, Gordon Haywood, Marcus Morris.

Which option would you take?

the beauty of it is, Hayward really is thrust into spotlight even more now. He's about to feel the heat of the Boston fans angry from losing Crowder, Bradley and IT

Danny, Brad Stevens, and Hayward could all die on this hill. If they don't make the conference finals this season, it will be considered a bust.

There is a mean little part of me that wants to see Gordon traded to NOH or Brooklyn.

I think you have to mention that IT is in a contract year and due up for a huge contract.

At their current contracts I definitely take package #1.

If I have to pay IT a long-term near max deal, I probably take #2.

And personally I'm assuming the Nets pick will finish outside the bottom 5.

This is a good trade for both teams.

Cleveland gets a little more depth which is more important than 1 star player next to LeBron. Plus they get some stuff for the future so when LeBron leaves they get a head start on rebuilding.

Boston gets a star player. To be the man and they already have his side kick Hayward who can play well next to him. Then they can hope one of their other players develops or make another trade. Kyrie is a big upgrade over IT. Kyrie might be the top scorer in the NBA next year or close.

Thats a great question. Good post.

I take #1, they showed they can play together, #2 is still unknown. Even if everything goes right for #2 I don't think the ceiling is significantly higher than #1.