What's new

Las Vegas Summer League thread

I’m not sure Brantley is worth further investment. He’s try-hard, and that is admirable - it’s nice to see a player effort-ing, but the trying hard doesn’t consistently result in great results, IMO. Meh, I don’t have a lot of confidence in him at this point. This may be his ceiling.

I have more confidence in Oni improving his 3% and improving his defense as an end of the bench role player. And Eliza, as long as they’re paying him, it might be worth giving him some more run before cutting him. Even Morgan has shown some decent stretches as a small 5.

Overall, debating the best end of the bench player to plug in in a pinch is a nice luxury. I’m excited for next year.

I like the energy and effort he gives on defense. He can guard switches 2 - 4, he'll make 36% of his catch-and-shoot 3s, and he'll usually make the right pass. The Jazz need some of that energy, toughness and defensive versatility to balance out the roster. They've got a lot of pretty-boy scorers and need someone who will grind and do the dirty work. There's no reason he can't be a Demarre Carroll-like 3D energy player if he's willing to stick to that role.

Just stop asking him to freelance with the ball in his hands.

I like the energy and effort he gives on defense. He can guard switches 2 - 4, he'll make 36% of his catch-and-shoot 3s, and he'll usually make the right pass. The Jazz need some of that energy, toughness and defensive versatility to balance out the roster. They've got a lot of pretty-boy scorers and need someone who will grind and do the dirty work. There's no reason he can't be a Demarre Carroll-like 3D energy player if he's willing to stick to that role.

Just stop asking him to freelance with the ball in his hands.
I think it's hard to say he will for sure be making his 3's. Truth is we really dont know what he can give the Jazz offensively outside of hustle plays.

I like Brantley, after watching him up close but his problem is he tries to do too much at times which causes turnovers or fouls. Forrest tends to do that as well, ignoring others while trying to score difficult shots. At times, Dok would be well open for lobs or passes but Forrest and Brantley would try to plow their way to the basket.

Last edited:
I came in here to post this days ago but been trying to catch up reading through this thread....Since the Vegas Summer League the Jazz team, to me, looks to have got a bit more selfish (for lack of a better word) . As was mentioned there's many times they are missing Dok and here in SLC those were not missed as much as they are being missed in Vegas.

I get wanting to show out as they are playing for their professional careers but as is common with every summer league team that ends up hurting more than helping more often then not and the players need to realize that if they hit Dok with that pass more that will actual open up a shot for them as teams will quickly get tired of Dok dunking all over them or worst case them fouling Dok to prevent the dunk.

I came in here to post this days ago but been trying to catch up reading through this thread....Since the Vegas Summer League the Jazz team, to me, looks to have got a bit more selfish (for lack of a better word) . As was mentioned there's many times they are missing Dok and here in SLC those were not missed as much as they are being missed in Vegas.

I get wanting to show out as they are playing for their professional careers but as is common with every summer league team that ends up hurting more than helping more often then not and the players need to realize that if they hit Dok with that pass more that will actual open up a shot for them as teams will quickly get tired of Dok dunking all over them or worst case them fouling Dok to prevent the dunk.
You are missing that the help-side defense has been much better at guarding the Dok lob.

So any unsigned guys on other squads looking good as a flier. Louis King on the Kangs is a guy I think has some potential… not sure on his contract status. He got some run end of season and looked interesting. No one else I’ve seen that intrigues me but haven’t looked hard. Guys like Max Strus aren’t names I’m looking for since he’s signed and we likely can’t swoop in and get him.

Dok needs to learn how to roll after a pick. He seems lost after setting the pick. Oh and Brantley and Hughes are not very good.

Also, why are we not posting up Dok during these games he had a decent post up game in college.

So any unsigned guys on other squads looking good as a flier. Louis King on the Kangs is a guy I think has some potential… not sure on his contract status. He got some run end of season and looked interesting. No one else I’ve seen that intrigues me but haven’t looked hard. Guys like Max Strus aren’t names I’m looking for since he’s signed and we likely can’t swoop in and get him.

I always thought Cam Oliver from Nevada could be an NBA player. I haven't followed him in Summer League though.

Hughes biggest issue seems to be his handle. He's not been able to really get his shots from the flow of the offense and I dont think he's a good enough self-creator to really dominate.

I think Hughes is just scared to make mistakes/miss shots out there. He isnt getting wide open looks, but he's open enough to pull the trigger but he's passing them up and it's making the offense stall. I've liked his driving game and the moves he's made to draw fouls, but he isn't a guy you want dribbling in too much traffic.

That being said, Hughes seems to be pretty good defensively, along with pretty much the entire Jazz starting lineup. I do wish Forrest put a bit more effort/focus into being a disruptor rather than just being safe.