What's new

Las Vegas: Worst Mass Shooting in US History

Thoughts from me:

I think regulation would have little impact. I mean, let's say these were automatic rifles like the news is saying...those are very heavily regulated. So is that a real solution? I don't know. We can try it though. I would like to see some kind of a waiver for hunting purposes. Fact is, the vast, vast majority of people that own guns don't do anything illegal with them.

People are going to want to take away guns. That's a mistake. It'll lead to a civil war. I'm serious, it will. I don't see how that's a better solution

I don't know what the answer is. I don't believe the problem is guns, but we're probably at the point where we have to make access more difficult. We need to figure out why they're doing this. We need to fix the division. I'm young, but I never remember people being like this. We can't discuss things without insults being thrown out. I think the internet/social media is a large part of the problem tbh. Nobody wants to restrict that though.

If restrictions come, if a complete gun ban comes, I won't like it, but I will comply. I'm a Christian, and I believe that we are told to obey our governmental leaders, so that is what I will do.

Worked just fine in Australia - not a single mass shooting since they said enough is enough. Since Americans are obsessed about money government should just offer buying out the guns. Offer 10x the original purchase price - you can afford it.
Some idiots will still keep it but some will consider good return on their purchase and will take the money. It's not going to happen overnight but with time those crazy numbers of the guns in USA will dwindle.

Apparently this guy has no previous history with guns, or at least his brother said so.

It's a really weird situation.

Highly thought out, expensive equipment, yet no history indicating he was capable of it.

No, his brother said he owned a few pistols and kept them in a safe.

One very minute thing I try to do to help, however small it is, is that I'm a member of various yard sale Facebook groups (they are quite big in St. George) and whenever I see people attempting to trade or sell guns, I report the post. Hell, I even do it with people I'm friends with. Facebook is usually quick to remove it, and you may have helped in keeping some yahoo from illegally obtaining a gun from a clueless idiot.

Can I just thank you for informing/correcting without insulting.

I struggle with doing so, so it is nice to see people do it. We need to do what you're doing more often.

Yeah, I struggle with doing so as well and should take the high road, but can't bite my tongue sometimes.

Like a poster said, you should take everything you read online, especially social media, with a grain of salt. I've read things that were reported hours, if not days earlier, on twitter and facebook that were absolutely true - as well as false. This covers everything from current-events to sports to politics. There is no harm in bringing it up or having a discussion about it, unless you are a weak-mined individual. Discussions that are stated as "things that were read online and not verified multiple times" should not be judged as if a journalist posted it on NYTimes.

My problem is, guys like Dalamon like to take what you say, and translate to something completely different, while making assumptions to back up their own confirmation bias and agenda. I do not read Breitbart or Info-wars, yet this guy is gonna take what I wrote as judgmental and slap a guarantee on it that I did.

The shooter could have been a guy who just lost it. I think it's naive to think there wasn't some sort of political or agenda motivator behind it though. He was very precise and calculated. The truth will come out. I feel like we should have every right to discuss this.

All sorts of trash on there. I've seen screen shots and posts all over the place. From attacking Muslims to praying that the dead were all supporters of the President. Just ugly and hateful. Because what happened wasn't enough hate for these people.

And with a completely transparent system, we can identify and catalog what's true and not.

Not having data that is both true and not true, pending the beliefs of those reading, is asking for infighting.

The shooter could have been a guy who just lost it. I think it's naive to think there wasn't some sort of political or agenda motivator behind it though. He was very precise and calculated. The truth will come out. I feel like we should have every right to discuss this.

Most mass shooters, at least recently in the US, don't have a political agenda. Aurora, Newton, Virginia Tech, Orlando, Columbine....they're usually just self-loathing pukes who snapped.

This guy's age is of significant note. My guess is he would have erased himself years ago if he was like the others. So ultimately you may have something.

Most mass shooters, at least recently in the US, don't have a political agenda. Aurora, Newton, Virginia Tech, Orlando, Columbine....they're usually just self-loathing pukes who snapped.

This guy's age is of significant note. My guess is he would have erased himself years ago if he was like the others. So ultimately you may have something.

Those are a few, but hardly most. I can think of lots that are politically, racially, religiously motivated, but I get your point.

A coworkers daughter is a police officer in vegas and was one of the original responding officers to the scene. needless to say he has been a little intense today. Man the worry he must have felt all night worrying about her. Thankfully she is fine.

WSJ is reporting at least one of the rifles was fully automatic.

I have no idea how one gets their hands on those illegally.

Legally, you're looking at anywhere from $20k-300k.

I would imagine they cost a lot more to purchase illegally.

Just really strange. How does this guy prepare so well? How does he get the weapons? This is weird.

Just really strange. How does this guy prepare so well? How does he get the weapons? This is weird.

From what I read (sorry Dalamon and Saint Guy of JFC) he was pretty wealthy and gambled for a living. Knowing where to look and with money and/help almost anything is possible.

Don't even need fully auto weapons anymore...

https://gizmodo.com/this-trigger-happy-glove-lets-you-simulate-machine-gun-1797434487

The AutoGlove, scheduled to enter production next month, bills itself as a mechanism that allows for “full-auto fire without ATF approval, tax stamp or firearm modifications.” Powered by a battery pack that can be attached to a user’s arm or body, the device looks like a military-inspired Power Glove and is designed to fire a standard semi-automatic firearm at a rate of up to 1,000 rounds per minute.

j9y94scaxelomdyvpeuo.gif

I read somewhere today that some thought it could have been a mod used to make the ARs automatic from how they sounded. Thanks for posting this. Very terrifying to know stuff like this exists. I absolutely hate ARs.

Yeah that is pretty unbelievable. It is worse than having a fully auto AR since if your AR jams or runs out of ammo any old gun becomes a fully auto AR. Scary as ****.

Thoughts from me:

I think regulation would have little impact. I mean, let's say these were automatic rifles like the news is saying...those are very heavily regulated. So is that a real solution? I don't know. We can try it though. I would like to see some kind of a waiver for hunting purposes. Fact is, the vast, vast majority of people that own guns don't do anything illegal with them.

People are going to want to take away guns. That's a mistake. It'll lead to a civil war. I'm serious, it will. I don't see how that's a better solution

I don't know what the answer is. I don't believe the problem is guns, but we're probably at the point where we have to make access more difficult. We need to figure out why they're doing this. We need to fix the division. I'm young, but I never remember people being like this. We can't discuss things without insults being thrown out. I think the internet/social media is a large part of the problem tbh. Nobody wants to restrict that though.

If restrictions come, if a complete gun ban comes, I won't like it, but I will comply. I'm a Christian, and I believe that we are told to obey our governmental leaders, so that is what I will do.

Something leading to Civil War ought not to be an excuse as to why something shouldn't be done.

America made the right decision by having a civil war when it came to questioning the practice of slavery.

How is the production of the AutoGlove even legal?

And we wonder why our country is an utter joke.